PDA

View Full Version : Medical Care/Training/Skills

billm75
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey all,

I don't know if this is in the right forum or not, so feel free to move it where it belongs if needed.

I was wondering about medical care when there aren't hospitals, clinics, etc left to do this for you. Obviously, the basic medical info is what's needed here. How to treat various infections, viruses, medications and alternatives to those medications.

Does anyone have a primer on this subject? Or a resource where I could learn more about this stuff?

While food, shelter and security would be important, I feel that medical care or "doctoring" would be just as important to treat broken bones, sprains, fevers, etc. What good is it being supplied and secure if you're sick and dying anyways?

Matt In Oklahoma
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Where-There-No-Doctor-Handbook/dp/0942364155
comes recommended but I have not personally used or read it. Someone else here may have and have a better opinion. It's an area I'm lacking in beyond being the ole Plt Sgt telling my guys to quit being a wuss and glue it back on and get back in there. LOL

billm75
12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the link to that book. I'll be ordering that one real soon.

I'm not real worried about taking care of myself medically, but my family. I have 4 boys, 3 under 11 years of age. So it's really important to me to be able to keep them healthy if the need arises.

arcangel911
12-08-2010, 01:46 AM
billm75- I would start reading James Wesley Rawles books along with any survival books you get your hands on at the bookstore or your local library. Medicine is a odd and interesting field. Something you can always do is take medical classes, first aid and CPR training from your local fire departments and Red Cross or American Heart Association. There are places and classes you can go to for more knowledge.

But to be sure, know what your kids are allergic to above all. This plays havoc with a lot of responders when you ask a parent what they are allergic to, and the parents don't know.

biathlon
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Start here. http://www.nsp.org/EduPrograms/oeccourseandchall.aspx
Afterward show up to get a lot of patient contact. Just like shooting or any other skill, practice practice practice. Good luck.

waterborne
03-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Where there is no doctor and also where there is no dentist are ok..... but not the end all books. Take a first responder course, and try to get into an ITLS or PHTLS course, Also try reading "ditch medicine" , "the survivors medicine chest", and watch as many vids as you can on things such as surturing and other emergency medical topics Tac Med Solutions has several great vids on trauma medicine on youtube.com