PDA

View Full Version : We will see more of this

Patriotic Sheepdog
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Suffer-These-Crimes-in-Oakland-Dont-Call-the-Cops-98266509.html

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops
Dozens of layoffs effective at midnight, barring last minute deal
By LORI PREUITT and KRIS SANCHEZ
Updated 9:04 AM PDT, Tue, Jul 13, 2010

Print Share Buzz up!153retweetTOP1K31diggsdigg

Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if layoffs go as planned.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers will no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Some 80 officers were to be let go at midnight last night if a last-minute deal was not reached. That's about ten percent of the work force.

That deadline has been extended to 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Here's a partial list:

servingbrother
07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Good info. Thanks

protus
07-14-2010, 07:58 AM
while the lay offs may cause an issue with those employeed by the city/state and may cause a larger burden on the system as a whole . It is one step closer to letting infrastructure fail.
Example. Lets just say water gets shut off 3 days a week in Atlanta, due to staffing issues. What do you think will happen? Those will be the big issues that will impact our lives more than an extra 30 cent tax on bread ;p ( while it is just as important, a tax wont put a bullet in my kid or me....hope you see my point)

good post sheep and good feeler for things to come.

Patriotic Sheepdog
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I just heard that the county I work in will have "mandatory" unpaid two week furlows for their employees next year. I don't know how this will work. Will they close and entire building so they can save costs of employee salaries and building costs (i.e. water, electric, cleaning costs, etc) or will they just let one or two people off at a time in each department/division. Either way, it looks like the county employees better start preparing for a two week salary cut.

protus
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I just heard that the county I work in will have "mandatory" unpaid two week furlows for their employees next year. I don't know how this will work. Will they close and entire building so they can save costs of employee salaries and building costs (i.e. water, electric, cleaning costs, etc) or will they just let one or two people off at a time in each department/division. Either way, it looks like the county employees better start preparing for a two week salary cut.

At my work we have been increase free since last year. I doubt that happened at any city/state level. A 2 week un paid leave wouldnt even touch the amount saved by just saying " sorry guys... no increase this year...".
I get a little disgruntled at the city and how they pay their employee's, yet they are the 1st to cry if there is a cut ( even when the rest of the population is in worse shape)

Our society is reaping what it has sowed with the easy credit ( ghetto credit) lifestyle that it has lived over the last 15-20 years. It is a shame that people that are fiscally responsible are the ones getting the shaft at times.

eeyore
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
It would make too much sense to shut everything down for two weeks and let the people see what their government management has got them. No, they are more likely to spread it out so it causes less pain, but the smaller guys will get the last choice on what days they can take. They want to minimize the amount of grief they cause the ones that vote for them. People need to be aware of what they vote for, even through their lies you can pretty much tell what they are going to do.

Even in the "recession proof" area that is supposed to be around the DC area, the pain is here also, in the mid-size companies. I participated in a 10% cut 17 months ago, maybe might get half of that back at the end of this year. Thank God i'm not one of the 10% percent (really 18%) of unemployed in the Country.

1Admin
07-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I interact with a lot of teachers and in Georgia they are cutting 10 days off the school year this year down to 170 days from 180.

This is fine with us as the homeschool program we use is only 170 days and usually we have to log 10 "field trip" days. Sometimes it's trips to aquariums but sometimes it's just trips to the beach or skiing. Hey, you can learn stuff everywhere ya know ;)