PDA

View Full Version : What is "ideal weight?"

Lowdown3
01-02-2011, 06:29 PM
You hear people talk about that sometimes. What is "ideal weight" in regards to physical fitness, health, etc.

Is it a BMI that shows good? Is it good cardio? Is it pants that aren't tight? What does it mean to you?

How does "ideal weight" compare to a good BMI? Does it?

Many questions, love to hear what you all think.
LD3

Matt In Oklahoma
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
One that I feel good and am able to perform my goals at. When I was ripped back in the day in the Army I was 2.7 percent body fat. I ate 5 meals a day, ran 5 miles 3 times a week in 30-35 minutes 2 miles in 13:30 or less on top of a 10hr heavy lifting workday etc. However I did not feel great. I would wake at 2am and have to eat again because my body was screaming at me. I had RLS that kept me to 5hrs or less a sleep at night etc.
As soon as I slowed down some I began to feel better. Then I slowed down to much after retirement, now I have the happy medium and dang any "experts" thats says your to heavy or run to slow blahblah blah. I feel good.

Klayton
01-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Well the medical field has their standard "ideal weight" based by age and sex. But I think that is so generic it is almost useless. The reason I say this, back in the day when I was still sporting a 6pack (vs always carrying a 6pack with me, LOL) I had a Soldier that had a beer gut like you wouldn't believe, always got harassed by the command about his gut, and according to him, the docs too. Here is where it is funny, the son of a gun could outrun almost everbody in the company on the 2mile run, including yours truly. So, I say, for me, when I get my weight back down to where I can feel good, and cut back on all the meds I am still taking from my accident 2 years ago...

Lowdown3
01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
The Lord's been good to me that even when I was 40-50 lbs. heavier I could always run. I've been running regularly since my late teens. Although I can't imagine the damage done to my knees running with 50 extra lbs. for 20 years..... Put if I hadn't been running them, it might have been 60 extra lbs. I was carrying!

Knobster
02-11-2011, 07:31 AM
If you can accomplish your desired physical activities without passing out, then I imagine your ideal weight is where it needs to be. Of course, if you have high-reaching goals and you work towards them, the new 'ideal weight' will be realized.

Too much emphasis these days is put on six-pack abs and super lean bodies. A healthy amount of fat will help you survive. If you have ever watched or participated in extreme endurance challenges, the muscle-bound guys and teeny-tiny gals are the ones who drop out first!

For me personally, ideal weight is a 12-ounce sirloin.

Lowdown3
02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I hear ya.

I'm at 176 as of this morning. I hurt more when I get taken down cause I don't have the "padding" I used to have. I get cold easier.

On the upside, I move much quicker when I need to and their is a lot less of me to hit! LOL This is it for me, this is probably the basement. 45 lbs. in 4 1/2 months. Gonna try to settle out around 185'ish. That's probably more towards my "ideal weight."

Klayton
02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I have to share this with you guys. I was watching some show, cant remember which, and the girl asks the guy if he has a 6-pack (granted bodybuilders work on an 8-pack) the guy said no. She was shocked and asked why not, he said it wasn't healthy. Again she looked shock, so he replied, you ever see a polar bear or a penguin sporting a 6-pack and trying to survive? I about laughed myself silly.

So next time they ask you if you have a 6-pack, say it doesn't fit into your polar bear survival workout plan! :)

Matt In Oklahoma
02-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I have to share this with you guys. I was watching some show, cant remember which, and the girl asks the guy if he has a 6-pack (granted bodybuilders work on an 8-pack) the guy said no. She was shocked and asked why not, he said it wasn't healthy. Again she looked shock, so he replied, you ever see a polar bear or a penguin sporting a 6-pack and trying to survive? I about laughed myself silly.So next time they ask you if you have a 6-pack, say it doesn't fit into your polar bear survival workout plan! :)
I have a 6 pack. It's just in an insulated cooler:p

Knobster
02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Again she looked shock, so he replied, you ever see a polar bear or a penguin sporting a 6-pack and trying to survive? I about laughed myself silly.

So next time they ask you if you have a 6-pack, say it doesn't fit into your polar bear survival workout plan! :)

That's awesome.

Quade
03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
You hear people talk about that sometimes. What is "ideal weight" in regards to physical fitness, health, etc.

Is it a BMI that shows good? Is it good cardio? Is it pants that aren't tight? What does it mean to you?

How does "ideal weight" compare to a good BMI? Does it?

Many questions, love to hear what you all think.
LD3

Hi guys,,,
The Ideal weight depends on the following factors like
height
Generic.