PDA

View Full Version : sks as mbr

andyn1976
01-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Can a sks be a reliable main battle rifle?

Hawkeye
01-09-2011, 04:12 PM
While not ideal, I think yes it can. One just needs to make sure you do a lot of practice with reloading, etc.. I've seen some folks who were quite proficient with one.

Matt In Oklahoma
01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
They are great rifles in their own right. Make sure you get stripper clips and practice the reloads as Hawkeye stated. I started with one and have owned several over the years but folks just want to give me more than their worth in money or trade and I just couldn't seem to hang on to them:)
I knew of several sheriffs dept. that used to issue them a "within the budget" rifle. I remember none of the deputies complaining about being under gunned at the time.

eeyore
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Our enemies have used them and AK against service men for a long time, and with great success.

Bearman202
01-10-2011, 02:30 AM
I haven't owned an AK, but I have owned an SKS, which was the precurser. The problem I had with it was that shot one was good, shot two was a little off, and by shot four, I knew the round was going down range, but not much closer than that. The accuracy was horrible. Made a great spray-n-pray rifle, but I wouldn't hunt with it. I think as the barrel got hot, the accuracy went away. I love their reliability, though. I have owned an AR, and I couldn't keep that thing from jamming. I don't think I ever had a jam on the SKS.

Gordon
01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Plenty reliable. Like said above, get plenty of stripper clips and a good manual on caring for an SKS. Buy ammo in the sardine cans and stack it deep. Get one of the "Chinese wonder bra" chest ammo carrier. I keep one and some ammo for it in case I need to arm somebody. They were built to be GI proof.

rice paddy daddy
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Can a sks be a reliable main battle rifle?
Yes it can. They were used very effectively during the Vietnam war. I have a Chinese model. It would be one of the last rifles I'd ever part with.
Keep them original to ensure the most reliability. Avoid the aftermarket hi-cap magazines and use the built in 10 rounder. I've also heard of people having problems after scoping one.

Benn Gleck
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a Chinese sks that I wouldn't part with. It's one of the "Cowboy Carbines" meaning it was shortened, but it's never failed and it's as accurate or more than my AK47.

Bobjr59
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes it can. They were used very effectively during the Vietnam war. I have a Chinese model. It would be one of the last rifles I'd ever part with.
Keep them original to ensure the most reliability. Avoid the aftermarket hi-cap magazines and use the built in 10 rounder. I've also heard of people having problems after scoping one.

I've had a few and they all were very reliable right now I only have 2 Yugoslav's 1 M59 and 1 M59/66 and 1 Norinco and trying to come up with funds to pay for my 2nd Norinco

andyn1976
02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I have no real concerns about reliability just concerned about accuracy out to 200yards or less? Any experience with that would be appreciated.

Matt In Oklahoma
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Should not be an issue. It aint gonna shoot 1/2inch groups at 200 but it should be more than satisfying

guardian
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
The SKS is a damn good gun for the money. Tapco makes a nice 20 round mag that is very reliable. They also make a nice collapsable stock to make the gun more user friendly. I'ved used them for hunting for years, although I shoot 100 yards or less. The 7.62x39 tends to tumble after a 100 yards which makes it not as accurate as .223, but the 7.62 has more knock down power at a closer range!

Hawkeye
02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
The 7.62x39 tends to tumble after a 100 yards .........

What do you base this on?

Urban Survivalist
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a Chinese SKS I use Tapco 20 Rd mags with it and found it to be very accurate using Ammo I load myself. When grouping, Wolf ammo is a little more spread out but the Russian stuff in a tin can wont group for SH#T. All in all I would trade the gun for another Ruger Mini-14 or AR-15 platform. It is not my favorite gun. With that said, if we get into a SHTF situation That SKS will be spiting lead down range without fail.

buttebob
02-18-2011, 02:14 AM
I had one that I bought in 1997 for $75 new in the box. I bought a case of 1000 rds plus a couple hundreds in boxes. Shot a 100 rds through it and sold it and the case of ammo about 10 years later and bought an M1 Garand. I've never shot one past 100 yds. If memoir serves it shot about 3 or 4 MOA at 100 yds.
I've known 2 friends that hunted with them. One had a scope mounted and went Antelope hunting in eastern Montana. He said he had to tighten the scope mount every 10 shots as it had loosened. He didn't hit anything. The other friend carried his SKS after mule deer down south of Dillon, MT. He was walking down off a ridge and I had taken the truck down and around the ridge to pick him and the other 3 hunters up. While waiting for them I grabbed my rifle and walked through the sage brush to the bottom of the ridge. I came across 2 deer in some pines and shot both of them, one a spike buck and the other a doe. As I got to them I heard shots and looking up saw a doe running about 50 yds away. When she stopped running I shot her. My friend had been shooting at her from about 150-200 yds away. He had hit her in the lower jaw and in the lower leg.
Ten shots and two hits. Not great, but the deer was running. My friend was 150-200 yds away standing up. So I think it would work fine out to 200 yds or so. What would worry me would be the guys at 500-600 yds with 308's or 30-06's. But, I'd rather have a SKS than any handgun.

Patriot Prepper
02-18-2011, 10:14 AM
My humble opinion is that the SKS is a cool gun and could be employed for self defense. However, it is not the best choice. Yes it is cheap and if your budget is really tight, you can purchase enough to arm your whole group.

Just keep in mind that you may have to use the weapon to actually defend your life and the life of others. Is bargain basement shopping the best route? Or are you smarter to save up and get a better weapon system?

I believe if the SKS is all you can afford, then buy it and then start saving up for better weapons. Just my opinion.

jloneill17
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I've been thinking about getting 1 or 2 sks's. but after this thread, I'm not so sure.

Matt In Oklahoma
02-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I've been thinking about getting 1 or 2 sks's. but after this thread, I'm not so sure.
Try 1 then decide, you can always sell it

andyn1976
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I like the fact that the sks doesnt look so military/tactical in original form. A little less attention drawn going in and out and back and forth from the truck to the house or hunting on wma land.

Monel
02-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Why not spend a little more and get an AK47 and some 30 round clips. Wouldn't that do for urban fighting. I cant see needing to shoot too far living in a city.

Blowmax10
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I have an AK and a SKS - The AK is a Romanian variant that has been beat to hell and no longer seems to function properly - I got it for $500

My SKS is a Yugoslavian that I have added the Tapco T-6 stock to as well as their 20 round mags and a red dot sight - I have about $275 in this rifle

I would take the SKS in SHTF scenario over the AK that I own any day. The SKS is more reliable, more accurate and was cheaper. It is a heavier rifle but it has a bayonet attached that I like.

I know I couldn't snipe with it as some stupid range but I can hit clay pidgins at 50 yards with no effort and as an urban prepper I think that is about all the accuracy I need

I know there are companies out there that make a fine example of an AK but between the two examples that I have, I take the SKS hands down

Teufelhund2005
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I have a Yugo SKS outfitted with a Tapco stock, reflex site and other little improvements. This weapon functions just like it is supposed to and is as accurate as you would need for using it in a conflict. People say that they are not accurate and I have to dissagree. A weapon has its own accuracy threshold but a bigger factor on how accurate a weapon is, is the person behind the trigger. When you do not practice the proper shooting fundamentals your "weapon" is not going to be accurate. I have set up my SKS to be a urban fighting weapon (close quarters). I have sighted my reflex sight in for 25 yards and use Kentucky Windage to adjust for distances up to 50 yards and less than 25 yards. In this form I put 80 rounds through it with Uly ammo and they all hit in he general area (a regualar size printer paper target) I was shooting for with out malfunction. Before setting this weapon up in its current form I used it as a deer rifle. While sighting it in for hunting I was able to fire it accurately enough to hit paper targets with average of 1 and 1/2 inch groups at 300 yards. If you want a "sniper rifle" to hit targes at greater ranges get a Remington 700 or something similar. If you want a weapon that will function even if you put some nasty ammo through it get an SKS. The 7.62x39 round is cheaper than the .223/5.56 and it also packs a bigger punch for when you really want that combatant on the other end to feel what you are saying when you pull the trigger. This weapon will make a very affordable and capable MBR. Try hitting a moving target (because if you are shooting at me I will be moving) at 200 yards with any MBR and if you can hit it regularly then I want to meet you and shake your hand becasue you are a sniper and missed your calling by not being in the military. Don't put alot of stock into comments about accurancy from people. Accuracy is more on the shooter than the weapon (unless of course the weapon has obvious defects). You would do well to have at least one SKS you could utilize when it is going to count. As for the reloading part I use 5 tapco 20 round mags and have practiced with them enough I can reload quickly. You have to do what is going to work best for you and then practice it until you can do it with your eyes closed and upside down. Enjoy your SKS and if you don't own one go spend $250 to $300 and get one.

andyn1976
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Picked up a used yugo sks pretty cheap. I like the feel and price of ammo. Cant wait to test it out. Probably going to put a techsight rear sight kit and shorten the barrel a bit.

Spock
03-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Andy check your email I hit you with a message.

andyn1976
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Slg21-61, email was accidently deleted Please send again. Thanks.

waterborne
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I use the AK and have owned a few SKS, they are great rifles. As with any rifle, practice till you can't get it wrong, dry fire it a lot, with all your gear on. Don't try to parts your SKS up either. It is not an AR or an AK and never will be, put it in a decent synthetic stock, paint it and learn it use it and when your budget allows get an AK or AR or other reliable MBR.

Spock
03-28-2011, 10:38 AM
While not ideal, I think yes it can. One just needs to make sure you do a lot of practice with reloading, etc.. I've seen some folks who were quite proficient with one.

one of our regular shooters at our carbine match here who is normally an ar-15 shooter pulled out an extremely beat to hell ghetto-fied SKS at a match last year and ran stage with it and did well. he was using the tapco 20 round detachables.