PDA

View Full Version : Walking to get back into shape

EX121
04-20-2011, 03:20 PM
So I'm back to walking to try and get back into shape. I've started walking with my GMHB which which weighs about 25lbs, I can walk 3 miles on flat ground in 55 minutes. But the other day I went antler hunting & for some crazy reason I wore a different pair of boots, and ended up with blisters on my heels.
So after 3 days off I walked again today, but stopped after 2 miles or so as my heels were getting 'hot'.

lesson learned (again); wear well broken in boots, and stop or use moleskin to prevent the blisters.

In a PAW or bug-out condition being laid up for 3 days and then having limited mobility could be very bad.

Lowdown3
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Good post and congrats on getting back in shape!

Matt In Oklahoma
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Thumbs up! One step at a time,great job!!!

Mikeg175
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
As far as boots and shoes in SHTF , I drive my wife crazy , with how I treat my boots . I have a very unorthodox way of breaking in my boots . I will soak my boots and then wear them wet for a few , then repeat a few times . It seems and I could be wrong that after a good soaking , they start to form better and then shape to my feet easier . I learned this method with my boat shoes and my boots when in the service , it seemed the wet method broke them in faster . Then once fitted I recondition all the fittings and laces and they feel like a glove . This could be a total asinine way and terribly bad way to do it , if so , please let me know . Then once I have them broken in and well before they are worn down , I break in another pair . I have about 4 pairs of broken in boots atm and 2 sitting in the box , waiting to get broken in .

Bill Foster
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I tough it out when I break in my boots. I work near a mall and a lunch, I change into my new boots and walk 1 mile in them in the climate controlled, carpeted mall. It's a tough job, but it has to be done.

EX121
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I also use the wet boot method of breaking them in. It seams to work and I thought the ones I wore were, but something wasn't right.
The other thing I did this time was stop soon enough so that the skin didn't break. The blisters appeared to heal much faster this way. With the skin intact it also lesens the risk of infection.

protus
04-21-2011, 06:16 AM
on boots. Most take 24 hours of wear to break in on avg. It is recommended that it not be all at once LOL...2-3 hours here,, there.
Also normal foot care ( dry socks if walking for long hours etc). I have done the wet wear deal before as well.

walking is a good start.
Take this advice..below.

Get good shoes,and good inserts.
Im a cheap-o- tight wad. I would by the 39$ on sale xyz brands. while name brands they wouldnt be suited nor sized right for me.
I started wearing good hikers 4-5 years ago. Now those are my daily wear even at work( i wear merrels).
I started jogging 2 years ago. But because of said tightwadness ,,,while it may have saved a penny,, it has hurt me more physically than anything.
Im not a small guy by any means. However i was up to jogging 3 miles a day before work.
Next thing im getting is bruised heels, sore ankles,sore lower back. That resulted in a off balance step at 4 am one day that tore my ankle dang near off.\
That keep me from doing any cardio work for near 2+ months. It took me 1+ month to get back to jogging 1 mile....another 3 weeks to get 2miles.......
then my injured foot turned into an acheillies tendonitis or something. 1-2 more weeks off.....

I just started riding the stationary bike this week.........so now im back were i started 3 months ago...doing low impact work, untill im 100%,,,and not until i drop the $$ for good runnig shoes( already spent the time at a dedicated running/shoe dealer to get sized and try stuff on)

i enjoy jogging more than i thought i would...and not being able to do it, really sucks.

dont skimp on your equipment and dont push yourself...i should have done a 3 day of run and 2 days of low impact vs 6 days of jogging in a row with only one day of rest...

EX121
04-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input & encouragement. I figure that I didn't get so out of shape all at once so I'm trying to be realistic about getting back in shape. I have been trying to walk every other day. I need to add some core building exercises on alternate days. I'm not trying to get back to the fitness level that I was in when I was on active duty, just some better cardio & a better strenght level.

Lowdown3
04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Couple core related exercises for you Ex-

*Lay with your body flat on the ground on your back. KEEPING your from your butt to your legs on the ground during the entire exercise and not using your hands to help you get up, without putting your hands behind your head like a normal sit up- bring your upper half up to where your body is in an L shaped position. The long part of the "L" being your upper half, the bottom part of the "L" having never left the ground at all. Reach and touch your toes while your there then slowly with breathing without just dropping like a rock, go back to the starting position- again your lower half NEVER leaves the contact with the ground at all.

*Leanbacks- kneel down, knees TOGETHER (important). Body straight. Keep your upper body in line- i.e, NOT your head out of alignment with your mid section and as one unit, lean your upper half back as far as you can before falling. Remember to breathe and go slow. Back, spine, head should all be straight and in alignment during it. Most people can do 10 right off the back.

These are NOT "see how fast I can bang them out" type exercises. These are meant to be done slowly, with breathe.

These have done more for my core areas than hundreds of situps ever did. Good luck and start slow.

EX121
04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input, those are real simular to ones given to me by the physical therapists.

splat23
04-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I also used the water to break in my boots. I would run the water as hot as I could stand it and then walk with them for about 2-3 miles. I would do this a couple of times and would not have an issue.

I also learned in the Army that wearing foot powder and two pairs of wool socks work really well. When you blister it's because of two different skin layers moving back and forth. The socks take the place of those layers by absoring the movement.

I've known guys to wear panty hose to prevent blisters on their feet and ticks on their legs.

I use a variety of boots and wearing them all every now and then to prevent blisters.

Bill Spies
06-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I'd like to add to this thread. What I do is walk about 2 1/2 to 3 miles abot 5 times a week with weights. I started with 2 lbs (I know, thats not alot. But if any of you remember rifle PT in basic training...) and now I'm up to 12 lbs dumbbells. One in each hand. As I walk, I do various excercises. I'll tell ya, at the end of that walk, my arms are numb! You all should give this a try.

Mikeg175
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I started my walks with d cell maglites . I do my walks at night and carry one in each hand , gives me light , weight workout and protection all in one . Im not sure where to go from there hehe .

Bill Spies
06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Those 6 and 8 D Cell Maglights make phenominal weapons too! Walking with them is not a bad idea.

Mikeg175
07-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I carry one in each hand hehe . I was thinking of looking for some kind of weight to attach to it , kind of like when in the batters box and you put a weight on your bat to warm up with . Actually I was just thinking , I'm semi-lying here , one is actually a Streamlight , not a Maglite hehe .

Patriot Prepper
07-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Great job on your training. The key to getting in shape and keeping in shape is consistency. It is better to do it over a longer period of time and to stay with it, than it is to rush trying to be conditioned. People often push themselves too fast and burn out or injure themselves. It you can walk one mile with 25 pounds just keep increasing the distance and the weight but go slow. Also try to integrate inclines into your walking. It is amazing how much more energy and strength it takes to navigate a steep incline.

I used to own martial arts schools and students were often impatient. They wanted to get better as fast as possible. The real impatient ones usually quit after a period of time. The one's who were more consistent and stayed with it, progressed to black belts.

I just got back this week from North Carolina and Tennessee. I did some backpacking on the AT and tried to carry a pack, my 7 pound dog, and ten pounds of video gear in a separate bag. On the Roan Mountain part of the trail it got too rough and I had to bring the video camera back to a vehicle to continue. In fact, I fell from a four foot drop off and tumbled about 15 feet, all the while trying to protect my video camera. Thank God it was in a cushioned case. That's when I brought it back to the vehicle.

If I only trained on flat ground, I would have had trouble on Roan Mountain. Elevation increases, and decreases take totally different muscle groups than walking on flat land. I am a Florida resident and we are flat landers. I know of a few places where I can practice walking on an incline or I use a stair machine. The key is to keep doing it. Never stop conditioning your body.

Currahee
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I'd like to add to this thread. What I do is walk about 2 1/2 to 3 miles abot 5 times a week with weights. I started with 2 lbs (I know, thats not alot. But if any of you remember rifle PT in basic training...) and now I'm up to 12 lbs dumbbells. One in each hand. As I walk, I do various excercises. I'll tell ya, at the end of that walk, my arms are numb! You all should give this a try.

I started doing this a few years back and it is a great time saving exercise. I've moved up to a lot of time at the gym (especially in the summer) but I still try to wanlt like this 2-3 times a week. In the winter I do it with my ruck.

EX121
07-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm now up to about 4 miles in an hour with a 25 lb pack. I've also started doing a local hill climb. I need to start adding some other exercises to the routine, and be more consistent.

fallout boy
07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
I lost sixth pounds wlaking!

EX121
07-18-2011, 07:36 PM
That's great fallout boy.

Matt In Oklahoma
07-18-2011, 08:47 PM
You guys keep it up!

LizardKing
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I do a 5 mile walk every day with a 20 lb pack on. Some days it's close to 100 degrees, so I carry enough water with me. If my car or mower needs gas, I also carry a 2 gal gas can and fill it up at my turn around point. Saves gas by not driving to get gas.