PDA

View Full Version : Cover or Concealment

Matt In Oklahoma
04-21-2011, 09:19 PM
This is a topic that has been beat to death and yet is as ever elusive to most people as the Four Fingered Southern Hairless Sasquatch.
Simply put cover protects you and concealment hides you.
Take a good look around your place, maybe when you do the range carding or picture method. What is the first thing that pops into your mind as "cover" now think about that for a minute. Is it cover from what projectile? A .22 derringer, a 30-06 rifle, an engine block being hurled by a tornado? Cover is a relevant term.
What is concealment and who can hide behind it, them, you or both? That needs to be fixed if it's them or both and take away the advantage from"them'.

Having done some testing years back I discovered that I am capable of shooting thru a hand width tree at 100 yds with my 30-06. Therefore small trees are not cover in my mind.

Some trees are thick enough to stop rounds but leave much to be desired in width to hide behind. As you can see from this tree and my pudgy man killer cujos this tree would not be wide enough to get both shoulders behind so it classifies as neither good cover nor concealment.

Several sources will quote 6-8 inches of sand is enough to stop most small arms rounds as in sandbags. Having said that, would double that be enough as shown in this starter of strawberries with potting soil do the trick. Doubtful on rifle rounds, perhaps on pistol rounds. Potting soil is not a dense material.

How about this firepit? Most likely as busting rocks takes alot of energy and if proned out it could be concealment.

I once took a contingent of soldiers into, a familiar to them, bay area room and had them breach the room and take me out during a short training session. When they swarmed the room and began ducking for "cover" as I threw objects at them, to simulate incoming fire, one of them ran for one of the larger objects in the room and "took cover". I halted the drill and had everyone look and evaluate their "cover". The soldier hiding behind the large object was hiding behind a propane grill with a full tank of fuel. One soldier was proned out behind fuel cans. Nough said
Being in shape. Both in size and cardio. Size - Cover in the form a refrigerator full of groceries does you no good if you are bigger than the fridge. Cardio - running from cover to cover is tiring and was covered in LD3s video. Normally in contact fire it would be much shorter from object to object which is much more tiring than just running. Get In Shape don't be a shape.

As you evaluate "cover" in and around the homestead, workplace etc. there may not be "cover" but concealment or even the lack of that. That is when it is time to stop hiding and start moving and fighting. This is when body armor and those fancy chest rigs shine! Your attitude and training must change during this and you must go into a either a defensive sideways or backwards movement or very aggressive forward movement. When you move forward mean and overwhelming should be the description of you. In the words of Clint Smith - If your not shooting you should be loading, if you're not loading you should be moving, if you're not moving, someone is gonna cut off your head and put it on a stick!

The movies and video games will show numerous objects as being "bulletproof" and good cover. Do not fall into this thinking. Even mass will not stop bullets always. http://www.theboxotruth.com/ is a decent source on penetration testing vehicles and rounds. There are tons of resources on this subject available and I have only covered a smidgen to get the brain juices flowing of what is and what isn't around you hopefully.

610Alpha
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
recently on spike during the "When Lives Depend on It" they talked about this very topic!!

Klayton
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Hiding behind that rock fireplace would be a last choice for me, ever see what happens when .308 hits small rocks that size? Talk about flying fragments in all directions, whew!!!

Matt In Oklahoma
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
recently on spike during the "When Lives Depend on It" they talked about this very topic!!
Best Defense and some other talk about it too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PersonalDefenseNet#p/u/31/cGEqsZyf2AQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE9hAhY9T7Y

Matt In Oklahoma
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Hiding behind that rock fireplace would be a last choice for me, ever see what happens when .308 hits small rocks that size? Talk about flying fragments in all directions, whew!!!
I agree, better than a round in the chest plate though. Aint built to camp behind for sure, just long enough to move again, most cover is that away

Lowdown3
04-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree, better than a round in the chest plate though. Aint built to camp behind for sure, just long enough to move again, most cover is that away

Amen and amen.

The chances of always finding that "perfect cover", especially while bounding, etc. is relatively small. Sometimes also the length needed to move for that "perfect cover" makes it a larger risk to use versus a lesser cover that's closer.

Keep in mind we aren't talking about setting up camp and moving in there, just a quick stop most of the time. If we need more permanent cover, we will likely be creating it.