PDA

View Full Version : Game Trails

Matt In Oklahoma
05-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Game Trails are everywhere; these are some I got going no farther than my place. I know this is old hat to most hunter but those not familiar with hunting or general woodsmanship may benefit.
The first is a fence crossing game trail used by a fox that lives across the road. He crosses here almost every evening but as you can see does not have a huge sign trail. There is absence of wire and brush to indicate the opening in the fence and a small flattening of the leaves hard to see without the three dimensional view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDWYT9rsD3Y

324 325

The next is animal hair that has been detached from the animal as it crossed a barbed wire fence. Larger animals may even use the fence to rub on. These crossing are good to set traps or hunt near but not so near that your scent carries with the wind in the direction of the animal. Most animals use their noses as much as their eyes if not more in some cases such as bear.

The next is sign that would normally be overlooked as a nuisance but in tough times could be a tasty meal. It

Matt In Oklahoma
05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
The hooved game trail that leaves a very distinct and deep trail in the ground.

This trail is between 2 cedar trees which provide shade, concealment and windbreak for animals. For the hunter it provides concealment in both vision and scent as the cedar smell is very strong. You will also notice the dung/scat/poo which brings us into the next topic.

The dung when fresh will be moist, smelly and perhaps have insects on it such as this video demonstrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NI6awX-UU

Old dung will be dried and the animal will be long gone but this large herbivore dung when dried makes for good campfire fuel. The size and shape of the dung may indicate what type of animal it is and what they are eating which will help you determine where to set up your hunt/trap.

Part3

Matt In Oklahoma
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Rubs
Here are 2 rubs which indicate an animal that needs scratching or is leaving it

Grand58742
05-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Good post!