PDA

View Full Version : best H/D ammo for a Maverick 88

miked2345
05-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Ok, I picked up a shotgun today... I got a Mossberg Maverick 88 Field model at Walmart,
only $177 plus sales tax. I've read alot of good reviews on this gun, the only downside that
I see is that the 28" barrel might be a little long for home defense. On the other hand, if I
run out of ammo, (5 + 1) I can poke them in the chest with it. :) I would have preferred
the short barrel model with the 8 shell capacity, but this seemed like a great price and I'm
on a budget! Also, I understand that I can always buy a shorter barrel later on.

So the question is... What kind of ammo would be best for this gun, for home defense?
It takes 12ga. 2 3/4 or 3" shells.

Let me add this - I live in a suburb, the houses are about 50 ft apart. I don't want ammo
that will go thru my walls and into the neighbor's home! I guess what I'm planning for is a
SHTF moment where I have to stop someone who's already come thru the door. I've read
several forums on this - some say that even birdshot will do the job in close quarters,
others say something bigger.

Any thoughts???

Bill Spies
05-20-2011, 05:29 AM
I have recently bought the maverick as well. But...I haven't hade the chance to shoot it yet. However, I dont really consider the Maverick to be excesivelt long barreled. I had a Stevens a few years back and that was a long barrel. I think the Maverick would make a great home defense weapon. As far as what shells to use, I would go for bird shot. Now, I'm not an expert on shotguns...but I think that the shorter the barrel, the wider the shot. So as far as going through a wall, I wouldn't worry too much about hitting your neighbors :)
Have fun with (but not too much) and tell us all what you think!

Matt In Oklahoma
05-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I guess what I'm planning for is a SHTF moment where I have to stop someone who's already come thru the door. I've read several forums on this - some say that even birdshot will do the job in close quarters, others say something bigger. Any thoughts???
If they have already come thru the door it should be around 7yds or less, right? #8s thru #4 will do the job nicely. You can follow the first 2 up with a progressively larger load say #4 buck which is 22 caliber for the next 2 and them maybe a 00 buck or slug for the last load in case there is a need for more penetration as the fight continues. also you can get a spare ammo holder like uncle mikes or a sidesaddle to hold different types of ammo. The #8s thru #4 birdshot wont go thru alot of walls but gets decent soft tissue penetration up close because the pattern is so tight.
I encourage you to get out and shoot some old books and sheetrock scraps as soon as possible just for your own knowledge at proper distances so you can see too.
http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/wall-penetration.htm

Spock
05-21-2011, 11:06 PM
thats a pretty good shotgun. its the same thing as a mossberg 500 but with the safety on the trigger guard a cheaper black finish and plastic stocks. any 12 ga barrel for a mossy 500 thats made for the correct magazine tube lenght will drop right in. i would suggest #4 buck.

edit thats a hell of a deal. I bought one back in 1993 for $240 ish with 2 barrels. $177 new at wal mart was a good buy.