PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Storage

Matt In Oklahoma
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok we have the food stored against bugs, how about them sleeping bags? This is a simple solution we use, 20 gallon XXL Ziplock bags. They will hold 2 regular bags or one triple layer military sleeping bag. It

WiseOwl
06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I usually keep mine wrapped up in 2 heavy duty black trash bags, and I super compress them by using my big arse. I also do this with the ones on my shelf in the garage as well as the one in my pack. I like having multi use items and trash bags have been pack covers on unexpected rain on hiking trips.

protus
06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
in my pack, or un compressed/not bagged drapped over my buckets .

monkeybird
06-13-2011, 07:53 AM
You can buy bags that forces the air out and compacts the item. Using a vacuum is best, but you can get them that don't require a vacuum. It has a special valve and you roll the air out. Works great. It's amazing how compact things like blankets and heavy coats, and I sure, sleeping bags can be.

lcas-271
06-14-2011, 10:57 AM
One thing that you might watch out for is compressing the bag too much. Most hikers/backpackers simply leave them hanging in a closet to protect from loosing the insulating "loft". Keeping the bag rolled up or vacuum packed can lower the true insulating value.

monkeybird
06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Icas-271 - That is any excellent reminder about the loft. I know I always store my down comforters by hanging for similar reasons.