PDA

View Full Version : Elements of S&P : Outline and Personal Notes

Briar Wabbit
07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Here are two docs I developed, to help me organize and prioritize my apprroach, to S&P ...
... Everyone is different, but this is likely to save you noobs a few hours of head scratching.
... Thiese outlines may help you to remember some of the considerations which must be addressed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
DOCUMENT ONE: ELEMENTS of S&P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREAMBLE AND SYNOPSIS: The Goal and Content of This Document:

The purpose of this document is to (1) Categorize and (2) List and describe various categories, tools, possessions, references and systems to support sustainable survival for one (or more) persons(s), in the event of significant degradation of human life support systems and services, as a result of severe natural disaster, wide-spread civil unrest, significant economic distress, protracted extreme climate conditions, protracted shortage of resourcesm, rampant gang crime, or the dreaded zombie apocolypse, ... Or ... In cases of personal emergencies such as (but not limited to) Personal Injury in rural or wilderness areas ... vehicular malfunctions far from city services ... Forced Fugitive Situations ... Stranding or Disorientation ... Other events and conditions which might require independent life support, or limited cooperative support.

A Modular/Segmented Systems Approach:

FIRST PRIORITY: ABOVE ALL ... GO WITH GOD (Via Con Dios!) ... Nothing else comes close!

SECOND PRIORITY: (1) STUDY, (2) PLAN (3) PREPARE, in advance ...
... Your brain is ALWAYS with you, even if you are in a car and under-water! (so is GOD ! ! ).

SPEND SOME TIME ACQUIRING TOOLS AND AIDS AND PRE-PLACE THEM !

Health (Psychological and Physical Health and Integrity, Aside From Food, Water, Shelter).

FIRST AID: Dealing with Core Body Temperature and Physical Wounds, Bleeding, Poisons.
... To include snake-bite, animal (or human) bites, punctures, gunshot wounds, ...
Debris abrasions and road-rash ... Dirt and infection ... Burns ... Blisters, ... Lacerations ...
Gunshot wounds, types and treatments (tampon plugs, etc.) ...
Rashes and allergies (stings and food allergies ... Pollens and molds.
Foot Health: Extra dry socks ... Powder ... FUNGUS and keeping feet clean and dry.
How to best keep heat from escaping your body.
how to avoid heat-stroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration (salts & electrolytes, shade).
Broken bones and compound fractures ... Gangreen and amputation.
Antibiotics (Topical and Oral) ... Keeping fresh topicals, on hand.
Disinfection of fresh wounds and older wounds.
Cleaning wounds and Keeping wounds clean and dry.
Changing of dressings ... Aquisition and treatment of expedient dressings/supplies.
Herbal and Natural medicinal substances
Essential Nutrients to prevent medical conditions (SCURVY, etc.)
Sedatives and Calming agents ... Anesthesia, etc.
Field surgery (appendicitis, lacerations, gunshot and arrows, punctures, seeping chest wounds.
CLASSES TO TAKE, NOW ... Multimedia First Aid, CPR, Life-Saving, etc.

PLAGUES AND EPIDEMICS ... STRATEGIES AND REASONNING !
(timing and exposure ... involvement ... quarantine ... precautions ... long term issues).

State of Mind:
How to stay cool and keep your head ... Find time and a safe place to think!
You may need to deal with immediate threats and injuries (and severe disappointments) FIRST!
Be a robot, go on automatic ... deal with threats, injuries and trauma ... THEN THINK & PLAN !
Take an inventory of your situation, threats, and resources !
Assessment: Accurate Situational Awareness and Honest, Sober Acknowledgement of Truth.
Attitude: Positive and Constructive. Focus and Logic. Sound Planning. Emotional Stability.
No matter HOW BAD things get, there is always SOMEthing we can do, to make things better,
Unless you are DEAD, there is hope that good days may return, even if it takes a long time.
There are always blessings to be counted (count them!).
There is always some providence (provide-ance) ... use whatever you have ... WITS ??? !
Aids: Maps, Manuals, Paper-&-Pencil, Reading Optics, Reading Light, Two-Heads, etc.
... also, GPS (batteries), etc.
STRATEGY and Philosophy (Shelter-in-place vs. Migration vs. Distant Sanctuary), etc. ...
... Also: Go-it-alone? ... Partners?, Gang? ... Community ? Alliances vs. Risk ? ).
Long term MORALE and COMFORT? ... ENTERTAINMENT (Cards?, Dice? Books? Toys?)

Communications:
Cell Phone, FRS Radio, Whistle, Visual Signalling, AM Radio, Batteries, Languages, etc.
... Also GPS, ON-STAR, "bread-crumbs (notes, etc.), mirrors, audible, fire, etc.
Also ... Sign language, Morse Code, Semiphore (flag signalling), combat patrol hand signals.

Hygene and Organization:
Keeping yourself, your cookware, your clothing and gear CLEAN, organized, and properly stowed effects many other of these listed elemental categories.
Personal (especially DENTAL and FOOT) Care and Hygene will effect, for instance ...
Your Morale, Your Mental and Physical Function, Your ability to communicate and to negotiate (if you look and smell bad, nobody will want to help or trade with or partner, with you.
Organization effects efficiency and lack of planning and organization can/will be disabling.

Totage and Transport ...
Where will you go? (destination(s))
How will you get there? (mode(s))
How will you take/carry what you need? (that far?).
WHEN (Time of Day) and by What route ?
Navigation ? Confirmation ?

Water (consumption):
Containers and Totage
Filtration and Purification.
Rations: Quantity and Max Duration
Max Practical Carry Weight ?
Protracted Aquisition ? Purification ?
Redundant Modes and Methods.
Location Strategies.
Rate of Consumption/Dissapation, under various conditions of heat and exertion. (etc.!).
Catchment and (re)direction.

Food and Nourishment (Calories, Fats, Protien, Carbs, Vitamins, Minerals, Fiber, Enzymes, etc.)
Aquisition and storage considerations (Shelf-Life, Storage Methods, Threats to quality, etc.)
Totability and Storage Locations, Security, etc. (How much can be carried?, in what form?)
Weight, moisture content, cookingrequired?, calories per pound?, caories per unit volume?
FRESH PRODUCE? ... Dehydrated and freeze-dried produce (spinach powder, etc.) ...
Trade value. Psychological Morale and Comfort?
FISHING, HUNTING, FARMING, SCAVANGING, LOOTING, SALVAGE, HUSTLING.
Foraging for nuts, berries, herbs and grains, peas, greens, etc.
How to grow greens and keep animals and scavangers away? (hanging tree terrariums).
*** Turn plasic bottles into flower pots and use string to hang them high up ...
... Hike your daily circuit of these "green jugs" (terrariums) and water/harvest.
*** How to use human poop as fertilizer (and not get sick ... fully compost!).

Shelter and BODY CORE TEMPERATURE ?
Staying warm or cool enough. Staying Dry.
Proper Clothing ... Proper Shelter.
Using the landscape and natural resources (shade, caves, vines, poles, pine-needles, etc.
FIRE for warmth) and COOKING (See section on fire starting and cooking fuels).
Various types of blankets, sleeping bags, matts and barriers ... roofing, etc.
Strategies for maintaining CORE BODY TEMP (Layers, adding and stripping, etc.)
Moisture (shedding/absorbsion) and thermal dynamics of various types of fabrics.
Building Shelters (Materials, fastenners and cordage, TOOLS, excavation, proofing).
Site preparation (trenching, smoothing, levelling, locating structural trees, boulders, etc.)

SLEEP: Dry, Comfortable Temperature, No bugs or critters, no discovery by bad people.
Hammocks, Mosquito nets (jungle hammocks) ... Raised beds ... Breeze ... quiet.

Security and protection. Hiding and concealment, Escape and Evasion, Stealth of Movement,
Weapons, alarm devices, traps, observation, avoiding natural noises (streams, etc.) ...
Fighting and personal "moves", for self defense ... Shooting, Knives and knofe fighting.
Alliances and betrayals, Group politics, Leadership and Partnerships, Friends and Lovers.
Safety in Numbers? (MAYbe ! ) ...
Trust the Govenment ?? Dangers and trade-offs ... Autonomy ... Sheeple ?
Roving gangs, road-predators, vagrant predators, lone-wolves, sexual predators ... "friends". ?!

Long Term Strategies for Improved Quality of Life ...
How long until things can be "normal" ?
How long should I (or we) evade others (hide out), inn certain situations.
Strategies for making alliances (and for avoiding them) ... Observation, gossip, "visible fruits" .
How can I improve my temporary site (& expedient shelter) to be more comfortable/permanent?
How can I adapt and prepare for cold weather, drought, weeks of rain, flooding, invasion of site?
How can I aquire and fabricate tools, storage, and longer-term supplies.
What can I do about foot-wear?
How can I remain engaged and entertained ?
How can I best find and join a good community (or start one) ?
Trading with neighbors and other groups and communities.

How can I protect, raise, and take care of children and young adults ? Friends and family ?

What skills and gifts and resources and efforts can *I* offer to a prospective community ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ END DOCUMENT ONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ DOCUMENT TWO: SCALABLE MODULAR SYSTEMS (KITS) ~~~~~~~

PREPAREDNESS ELEMENTS PLANNING & PROCEDURES COURSE

Document #2 (Published July 4th, 2011)

MODULAR, SCALABLE SYSTEMS (Kits of Kits).

KITS: Organization, Stowage and Weight Priorities.

The purpose of this document is to assign physical elements to various kits and containers.
A secondary objective is to list and assign various and redundant tools and methods.
Finally, to provide logical organization for ease and speed of access and portage weight.

There are obvious LIMITATIONS on WEIGHT, SPACE, COST, and UTILITY ...
There are always trade-offs, and ultimate PRIORITY and UTILITY must be weighed.
Mobility means less weight and space. Items may be stored or hidden or traded.
CRITCAL NEED (as with MEDICAL SUPPLIES AND WEAPONS) often trumps utility.
EXAMINE trade-offs, of multi-use, vs. dedicated tools ... and weight vs. robustness, etc.

A MAJOR PERSONAL GOAL: My everyday home and vehicle and files are a total mess.
I wish to apply these listed PREPAREDNESS STANDARDS to my EVERYDAY HOME !
The objective, therefore, is to ** Make headway in becoming tidier and better organized, most days and EVERY WEEK ... THREE steps forward, ONE step back.
I will not make progress, EVERY DAY ... I may be sick or very tired or exceptionally depressed ... I may be having a weekly sabbath or on vacation or celebrating or in transit ... BUT !!!
My clear intention is to MAKE TIME and GIVE EFFORT to becoming MORE organized and better prepared and having better health and long-term prospects, MOST days and EVERY WEEK.

By Priority and Ease of Access:

HOURLY ITEMS: Items (of various kits) which are accessed several times each day.
DAILIES: Items which you access from one, to three times each day (meals, bed-time).
OCCASIONALS: May be used anywhere from once each day to once per week. (Saw, Rope).
DEEP STORAGE: Redundant, Backup, Surplus supplies ... Only carry when in transit.
Deep storage is deeper in your larger pack, or buried in a cache ...
(Winter gear, Bulk food, Heavy Tools, Scavanged building materials, major water storage, etc.).

SCALAR MODULARITY = Day Pack + 72 Hour Pack + Larger Packs, Caches and Hides.

HOMESTEAD: "Shelter in Place" Permanent Home and Local Storage ... and ...
SANCTUARY (alternate permanent destination: ranch, coast, relatives, church, familiar wilds).
CACHES and PRE-PLACEMENT.
COMMUNITY STASHES, STORAGE, TOOLS, SUPPLIES, TRANSPORT.
*** SKILLS & PLANNING ! (IN ADVANCE).
REGIONAL RESOURSES, MIGRATION, THREATS (Swamps, Coastal, Wilderness, Desert).

MAJOR KITS: These are kits for alternate or redundant items, backup supplies, pantry.
MINOR KITS: These are your "in use" active daily kits, toilet, mess, snacks, optics, etc.

MAJOR KIT CATEGORIES:

PORTAGE
MEDICAL
DENTAL
FOOT CARE
WATER PURIFICATION
WATER ACQUISITION & PORTAGE
CLOTHING and CORE TEMPERATURE - (*AND* Protective Gear ! )
SHELTER (shade, "thermals", rain, proximity to water, security, etc.).
LIGHT
POWER
COMMUNICATIONS
NAVIGATION
SLEEPING BIVVY (also sleep aids)
STIMULANTS
SHARPENNING (and lubrication)
REFERENCES (books, manuals, maps, inventory, planning, docs, THIS!).
FIRE STARTING (not wood gathering and cutting).
DIGGING and TRENCHING
BUILDING AND FABRICATION TOOLS and Fastenners.
WOOD CUTTING and GATHERING (for fires nd building and fabrication).
COOKING UTENSILS and COOKWARE and related cleanup.
PANTRY FOODSTUFFS and spices, beverages, etc.
TOILETRIES and Personal Care.
HUNTING, FISHING and FOOD GATHERING.
FARMING
MEAT and FOOD PROCESSING.
PERSONAL SAFETY AND SECURITY (weapons, stealth, strategies).
SCAVANGING and "Commandeering". (borrowing)
CACHE's and STORAGE HIDES.
ENTERTAINMENT. SPIRITUAL COMFORT AND LUXURY/CONVENIENCE.
MULTI-USE versus DEDICATED TOOLS
GENERAL TOOLS
CLIMBING AND HOISTING GEAR (Rappelling and Tree-Stash).
WATER PROOFING AND CACHING (of food, tools, gear, clothing).
HUMAN WASTE and DISPOSAL (TP, Buckets, Bags, etc.).
LIBRARY (other than mentionned)
RIVER CROSSING AND WATER TRANSPORT (tronics?).