PDA

View Full Version : WASR AK47

jmsneorrcom
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I am going to buy a WASR AK47 - since this will be my first AK I am a little concerned with picking a good one, without any issues. I saw a company online that sells "certified WASR" the ad says that they pick through them and correct any issues that they have. the company is henderson defense.
has anybody had any dealings with this company or have purchased firearms through the internet. and what are the concerns or issues with buying a weapon this way?
thanks

jmsneorrcom
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
company is Henderson Defense industries

1Admin
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Never heard of the company but that specific rifle from Century arms can have some issues with the front sight assembly being canted and the gas tube being canted.

If they are guaranteeing them free of that and not adding greatly to the price, it might be a good way to go.

A couple Christmas back, KVar was running SGL21-61 Arsenals for $499. Not sure what the current price is, but we own a couple and they have been excellent weapons, very accurate, very well built.

Spock
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
the current price on SGl21s, retail, is $769.

keep in mind for that ordering a rifle also involves paying transfer fees at the ffl. that $419 is probably gonna be $460-475 when its all settled.

jmsneorrcom
08-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I know about the FFL fee. at the local sporting good store the WASRs are going for 499.00 anyway. the web site at henderson are going for 439.00. So it would be pretty close to what i would pay anyways.
are there any other issues about buying weapons on the internet that would be good to know?

Spock
08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
yeah make sure they ship it to the right ffl. i'd go to your local gun shop see what the price is, pick one out that straight haggle and see what they do for cash.

splat23
08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
If the difference is $60.00, I would go for the one in the store. At most, your only saving $30.00 or so when you add in the transfer fee. If you get a bad one, you could go through a lot of hoops getting it fixed. Plus, if you buy in store, you could walk away with it and have it now.

JMHO

Good luck!

Elza
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
WASR’s seem to come in two versions: ones that run like a fine watch and ones that the Good Lord himself can’t make run.

I had one and returned it for refund after numerous attempts on the part of the dealer to make it right. Others seem to shoot forever and never miss a beat. Luck of the draw apparently.

baldsith
08-14-2011, 03:41 AM
WASRs are at best ok...they are cheaper and quality control is less than desirable....I have a yugo M70AB2 underfolder...milled reciever and is just all around a better rifle...out the door was like 500.00...I also have a 1960 Polish AK...again milled reciever and a better 1 piece recoil spring and guide rod.. was around 600.00 for that one.....when you pick up a stamp reciever vrs a milled one trust me you will know the difference..go with a milled one trust me you wont be dissapointed

Mjollnir
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Might want to check http://classicarms.us/ scroll 3/4 of the page down. Take a look at the Romanian GP-1975 rifles for $419.... heard they were decent but can't speak from first hand experience. They also sell converted and unconverted Saiga rifles. Anymore than $500 I would just save and hold out for an Arsenal.

Jeremiah2913
08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I am going to buy a WASR AK47 - since this will be my first AK I am a little concerned with picking a good one, without any issues. I saw a company online that sells "certified WASR" the ad says that they pick through them and correct any issues that they have. the company is henderson defense.
has anybody had any dealings with this company or have purchased firearms through the internet. and what are the concerns or issues with buying a weapon this way?
thanks

Milled, stamped, Russian or chinesese they're all the same IME and anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you theres or justify what they spent. The best ones I've shot were made in someones garage! Save $500 and buy a parts kit and a blank and DIY if you have the tools and skills.

tarheelsman71
08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I bought 2 from classicarms.us and they are great. I have shot hundreds of wolf ammo thru them without fail. They were the stamped versions, but for a 150 yards out of the box gun that is pretty reliable (I have heard of canted front sites, but havent seen any) you cant beat the price tag. I paid 450 each for mine, and it came with 4 mags, crappy sling, and a bulldog bag for each.

kilowhiskey
09-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I've purchased from Classic Arms too. No complaints so far. Romanian guns are not pretty compared to all the other AK's out there. The machining is rough as is the finish. I've got more than one Rommy AK's and am completely happy with them. They work, and my semiautos are working guns and not purchased for looking good.

rice paddy daddy
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I bought a WASR 10 also, and it's adequate for my intended purpose. It's not a benchrest target rifle, after all. The sights and gas system are on straight, it does not have the magazine wobble that is mentioned so often. I has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger.The only drawback is the silly vertical foregrip. It may be usefull on a full auto weapon, but otherwise not. Since I only paid $319 + tax, it's not going to bother me one whit when I remove said vertical grip with a handsaw and a wood rasp.
Oh, mine's a Century International.

Grinnan Barrett
09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
WASR model 10-63 or whatever they call it now is a good starter AK. As one poster put it the gun comes in two flavors, very good and very bad. Remember this gun was originally set up to meet the single stack 10 round magazine rules set by BATF years ago. When that went away the guns sat in a warehouse unable to be sold (Except in California). To get them out and into sales they opened up the mag well to accommodate the double stack mags. the stocks are cheap and you will want to replace them up front. Look at the front site of any gun you plan to buy. if the site post is canted off far to one side that means the barrel is OFF. Move away from that gun. test fire the gun as soon as you can after purchase. If the seller allows, test it right then.

Most of all enjoy whatever gun you buy. With AKs you will find that some are very consistant like the Arsenal guns. Look out for some guns built a few years ago with an Ohio ordinance receiver. they only heat treated the areas where they rivets were put in. These will warp on you badly as they heat up. Many of them were underfolders.

jloneill17
09-12-2011, 10:56 AM
If you don't care about fit and finish, get a WASR. I've heard good and bad about them. I have an Arsenal SLR-95. Check out www.atlanticfirearms.com

They have a good selection of AK's to look at.

snare
10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Although I have not purchased through them, I have heard the certified gun program at Henderson delivers decent guns. From what I have heard, if the overall price (Henderson certified + shippng + FFL fee) is cheaper than one you can handpick, I'd say go for it. I have a local very small FFL that does transfers for only $15. I find the bigger retail stores to charge more....often it's convenience for those who don't want to take the time to search for a better fee.

If you want a WASR, I strongly recommend the 10-63 over the 10 model. WASR 10-63s seem to have much better build quality, in general, according to online reports. People seem to report less problems with 10-63s than the 10s.

And Jeremiah is correct, milled or stamped does not matter at all.

kihnspiracy
10-08-2011, 07:59 AM
The WASR is ok for a person starting out on the AK platform. Eventually you will want to get a nicer version.

rover
10-19-2011, 12:52 AM
I've never had any real trouble with century's WSAR's, SAR's,ect. Heard lot of storys on boards but never seen one that was that bad, for the ,money their pretty good. Century's the first AK a lot of people ever buy and they have done more to put them in large numbers in peoples hands than anyone else.
Investment wise, you'll get your money back if you don't like it or want to upgrade later. ammo's not that bad now, Magazines are available and not to much either. Defintily a step up from a 5.56 tbh.

The GP75 or SAR1 is maybe a little better looking but I think you'll like it, good luck!

flightorfight
10-19-2011, 06:28 PM
The ones from Century Arms seem to be the ones i hear the most about problems.

1Admin
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I owned close to 20 different AK's since 1988, don't own that many now though. The only ones I had problems with were 3 Century Romanian's. A relative bought cheap and got a Romanian, the sight assembly wasn't put on wrong like a couple of mine, but the top of the bolt carrier was GROUND DOWN by century to make it fit. He still gets little metal shavings in his fire control group from that every so often.

His is the only AK I've ever seen (and trust me I've trained probably over 100 people on the system) that has jammed when the magazine was used as support for prone firing. Some of these where they literally wallowed out the mag well are just that- WALLOWED OUT. Where a normal AK is supposed to have SOME play his has a heckuva lot of play!

The problem as I see it, is that a lot of guys would gladly drop an extra $300-500. on a "quality" AR versus a bargain basement one. However when it comes to AK's, those same people will buy the cheapest and not bat an eye. Those are the guys that SHOULD buy a quality AK but don't. Then they start complaining about "the AK is crap". No, you bought from the bottom of the barrel, one up from a bad home brew and Century is crap, not AK's.

And as I said previously, NOT ALL Century AK's are garbage. But after 3 purchased and 3 turning out to be crap on my end, I'm not rolling the dice again. $250. cash at a gunshow and a quick eyeball of the front sight assembly looks roughly OK, maybe.

That's not me being elitist, that's me taking from experience with them, please keep that in mind.