PDA

View Full Version : Gerber hard-sided water bladder

EX121
08-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I got this new bladder as a gift at our SAR units summer training camp. Gerber donated a bunch of stuff for prizes. Here's my review.

It's a 2.5 liter hard side water bladder, with an insulated drink tube, a covered 2 stage drink valve, you pull up to open and then need to bite it to sip.
One of the ideas for the hard sides is to help add a semi-rigid support to a pack without an integrated frame.

So I have carried this on several day hikes and have really liked it so far.
I did however have a leaking problem. The clamp that ataches the drink tube to the bladder kept coming loose. So I had to add a zip tie to hopefully stop this problem. I haven't hiked with it since the fix, but shaking it up around the house, and actually standing on the bladder didn't cause it to leak.

One of the problems I've always had with water bladders is reloading them in your pack on the trail. My pack is usually stuffed full. So I drink all my water, and when I need to refill I almost have to take everything out of my pack in order to get the bladder out and back in. With the hard sides this bladder is easier to reload into the pack.

Pros, hard side makes it easier to refill and reload into the pack & provides structure to the pack
I really like the covered 2 stage bite valve, but a word of caution...don't pull up on the valve to hard or it will come off, although it snaps right back on.
Insulated drink tube

Cons the hard side is also a downer if you are trying to store it empty, you can't roll it up to a small size like other bladders
the leaking hose clamp
I also wish that there was a was a small handle or some way to hang up the bladder to make gravity water purification easier.

EX121
08-15-2011, 02:30 PM
The second picture is of the leaking hose clamp, I've added a sip tie above it.

Matt In Oklahoma
08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
That is an awesome review! You really need to send that review to gerber too