PDA

View Full Version : Gear choices...what are yours and why?

thereisnospoon
07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
The sub title for this section is "...from Alice gear to Kifaru..."

So what type of gear do you use and more imprtantly, why.

Of course, I'll start, since I brought it up.

For my GHB, I use an old Kelty REdwing pack I picked up st the thrift store for $6.88. It is an older version that has a removable Dap Pack attached. Black in color.

It is an internal frame pack with an interesting adjustable shoulder strap gizmo that also works as the frame's internal frame. It did not come with the removable day pack, so I found another pack made by some offbrand company and attached a zipper to complete the package.

I use this pack as my GHB for 2 reasons; it is a civilian pack, but tough as hell. Black in color, so at least it's not shoot me red, but it doesn't scream .mil. Second, it allows me to carry a lot of gear initially which can be pared down and dropped as needed. Also, if things get really dicey, I can grab the day pack and have everything I need to get home without carrying ALL the gear.

I have a on of packs and also the ability to make my own, but this one does the job.

protus
07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
my ghbis a c-bak 1000d mule. it has what i need to make a fast 1-2 day run home. Plus i keep my truck fully stocked with extras. The mule is also my day pack for hikes. Sides that i run a kelty 4500 tahoe internal frame pack and a simper paratus custom molle ruck as my "fighting" BOB. It is about 4k in cubes, with removable outer compartments( top flap and radio/claymore style pouch).The klety is OD and black with yellow trim, very subduded but still "grey" ,the SP ruck is OD and screams military.

Patriotic Sheepdog
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Have a C-bak in the car for a GHB, but may increase to a slightly larger size as I would have 40 miles to travel from work to home. Want to keep it small though as I want to be quick and quiet. Would anticipate 2 days travel if all went well, but may need 3-4 days depending on what "obstacles" I need to detour around or go through. Have just enough to keep going. Not a lot of fluff. Don't plan on making camp, just prop up in a hidden area and nap. Travel night and day rain and shine if possible. Just enough nap time to remain alert. Go grey with low signature.

For camping...Alice pack or I just got a USGI Molle Pack. Setting it up currently. Has many pockets to put things. Will see how it does once I have it loaded.

Lowdown3
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
The sub title for this section is "...from Alice gear to Kifaru..."

Snip.

Well part of that was to mess with Protus a little bit ;) You know how he loves MC and Kifaru.

EX121
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Since I'm new to this, I don't recognize GHB? But for my everyday pack I have a Northstar lumbar, mainly designed for wildland fire use. It fits well and works well. I have for my Search & Rescue 24 hour/quick response pack a Kelty Illusion 3500 internal frame. It carries everything needed for up to 48 hours, a bit small when I need to add in winter stuff.

Patriotic Sheepdog
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
GHB...Get home bag
GMHB...get me home bag

Sorry for the abbreviation. Hope that helps.

becky3086
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Ok, now I need it explained to me, what is a get home bag for?

1Admin
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Getting home. I.e, a bug out bag to get you home or to your retreat. Usually kept in a vehicle.

Grand58742
07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Ok, now I need it explained to me, what is a get home bag for?

Some terms explained:

BOB - Bug Out Bag...generic term for a pack designed for you to live out of for a certain amount of day. Self sufficient and carrying everything to keep you alive for a certain period. Period of time depends on packing load/by person. Typically runs about 3-5 days.

GHB (or GMHB) - Get Home Bag (or Get Me Home Bag)...bag or pack designed to get you from (typically) a specified distance to your home or BOL (Bug Out Location). Say for instance, I know it will take me one day of hard walking from my work to home. I pack enough for two days with minimal "survival" gear and minimal overnight gear since I don't plan on staying out for a prolonged period of time. Hence, "Get Me Home to my bigger BOB."

Sometimes the terms GHB and BOB are used interchageably. Just depends on the poster. But also:

INCH Bag - I'm Never Coming Home Bag...bag which contains your entire life. Enough to get by for an extended period of time without having to worry about going back home to grab anything. Typically, one can pick up and INCH bag and never look back at what they are leaving. A lot of the times folks will carry personal papers or copies, other personal effects and enough food and water for an extended period. Has the most gear (typically) for self sufficiency inside.

Again, a BOB can be used interchangeably with INCH. The term BOB has become more or less a generic term for any bag intended to get you from one place to another and live out of. Appalachain Trail (or other long distance) hikers more or less have a BOB since they can live out of thier pack. While they might not call it a BOB, it does typically carry what they need to survive and little else.

Far too often, folks cram all sorts of stuff into a BOB/GHB/INCH bag. Just depends on your comfort level, what you want to carry and what you feel is valuable. There is a good post about what basic gear most folks would carry inside a BOB (or any other kind of bag for that matter) in this forum.

becky3086
08-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Interesting idea. It hadn't occured to me to ever have something like this but I do understand the reasoning. I might have to put something together for my car, just in case. I guess it just never occured to me that I might be away from home if something happened. I'm going to go look for that post on what to put in it.

eeyore
08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Having extra clothing helps, got caught in a down pour yesterday, did not have the poncho handy (behind the seat of my truck like my bag). It was nice to be able to work in dry clothes, instead of wet clothes the rest of the day.