PDA

View Full Version : How I have been cooking corn lately....

WiseOwl
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
This recipe isn't new, but it is so delicious.....

We take our corn kernels mixed with some diced onions and a lil bit of oil and some peppers and put it in a skillet and cook it on high....kind of like roasted corn....we have had this the past 4 nights and it is great!!!!

Matt In Oklahoma
08-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Are you soaking the corn first and if so how long?

monkeybird
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Good question Matt. Is it dried corn (the kind you long term store) or fresh corn?

WiseOwl
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Fresh and frozen.....but if it was from LTS, i would soak it down the same you would beans, well just not as long....

Matt In Oklahoma
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Fresh and frozen.....but if it was from LTS, i would soak it down the same you would beans, well just not as long....
I was curious, Ive had mixed results in soaking and cant seem to find the "perfect' time

LizardKing
08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
i just tried the same thing tonight. Cut the kernels off a couple of ears, sliced up some okra from the garden, added cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin to the oil and fried it up. That, along with a bowl of instant mashed taters and I was set.

WiseOwl
08-27-2011, 11:59 PM
i just tried the same thing tonight. Cut the kernels off a couple of ears, sliced up some okra from the garden, added cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin to the oil and fried it up. That, along with a bowl of instant mashed taters and I was set.

YEAH C'MON!!!!

David
10-21-2011, 06:31 AM
A good way of preparing dried whole kernel corn is with Pickling Lime. It is more nutritous and the lime releases the B-vitamins, the result is hominy which can be eaten as it is, or ground to make tortillias. Put about 3-4 cups of corn in a granitware pan with about 3 teaspoons of Pickling lime and simmer at a low heat until the kernels are cooked through(3 to 4 hours usually). The result will a thick soupy white mixture with the cooked kernels mixed in. Rinse thoroughly several times, rubbing the corn between your hands and the "hominy" is ready to eat or dry for future use. The indians of Mexico, Central, and South America have done this for centuries.