PDA

View Full Version : Canning My Nuts

Edgemont
08-28-2011, 02:20 PM
My wife and I went to a Preparedness Expo, and we saw a brief demonstration of canning nuts. They said to use Mason jars baking them in the oven at 225 for one hour. Has anyone done this before? We're curious as to whether you keep the lid tightly secure (while processing) on the jar or semi-loosely as you do with the water bath method?

protus
08-28-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_nuts/nut_meats.html

Hot Pack (dry) – Shell nuts. Spread a single layer of nut meats on baking pans and place in a 250

ANVIL
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
An old girlfriend and I just put shelled walnuts in pint canning jars and placed them in the over for 20 minutes. I think she left the lids on in the oven so that they would seal. Put in the pantery she had nuts to add to her bakeing. I do not remember the oven temp but it was fairly low I think. The nuts were not cooked. The jars were heated so that the lids sealed.

MKIDAHO
09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I am fairly new to this sight and this thread intrigued me as I have several walnut trees. I looked in my new canning/preserving book and they do not recommend canning nuts. It is not harmful to can them but they stated the flavor is severly compromised so they removed the process from their book. They mentioned an extension office as well as Ball no longer publishes the process of canning nuts. Has anyone here who has canned nuts eaten them since? How do they taste? How long do they last?

dillard
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?2573-Helpful-Canning-Charts

This was a previous thread on this forum about knowing how much to can and thought it might be useful to you if you were really new to the whole experience. Also where are you keeping all the cans are you just storing them in a basement or attic?

Edgemont
10-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks dillard. I guess the best way to find out is to do it!

mtnmom5
12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I have baked other stuff in jars in the oven and then immediately put lids and rings on them after it came out so they sealed... guess I'll have to try that with nuts. Great idea as they get stale so fast if they're not in the freezer. I used to have a good recipe for canned sweet breads. They make awesome gifts. Wonder if anyone has that recipe? I can't remember if it was pumpkin or zuccinni bread though, but I think it was one of those.

PerryJeff
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Option 1 – Process in a Boiling Water Canner with the water in the canner 1 to 2 inches below the tops of the jars:
Table 1. Recommended process time for Nut Meats in a boiling-water canner.
Process Time at Altitudes of
This sure sounds to me like you would have a mess. I would think you wouldn't have enough weight to hold the jars down so they would float and tip?

kappydell
07-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Any sweet bread recipe can be 'canned' so either Banana or Pumpkin, or even Brownies would work.

goatlady
07-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Just do a google for "cake in a jar" LOTS of recipes. I have done orange nut bread and cranberry nut in a jar - they were tasty for several years stored dark and cool. I baked in the open jar, when done I popped on already heated lids and rings and let cool to a good seal.

BioG8r
07-06-2012, 11:04 PM
We just canned 6- 1/2 gallon jars of Boiled Peanuts and froze 6 1 gallon zip loc bags, we completely cooked them beforehand. I am seeing that we can boil for ten min pack, add spices, pressure can and supposedly they turn out as good!!?
Do any of you deeper south folks have any experience with this.
I became addicted to Boiled Peanuts when we lived in FL, but I only have experience in cooking 15-20 gallons at a time for 8 to 12 hours, 3-4 adult beverages, while I "Work" at boiling them, and nibbling my way through the whole process.
Not complaining, it's a summer ritual when I can find green Jumbos, just thought I might be able to cut the time, nibbling and (tight shot of a small tear running down cheek) a few less beverages if it was REALLY as good the all day way.

Kathy D
01-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks for posting. I never thought about canning nuts.
I always froze mine.

motesjm
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
We just canned 6- 1/2 gallon jars of Boiled Peanuts and froze 6 1 gallon zip loc bags, we completely cooked them beforehand. I am seeing that we can boil for ten min pack, add spices, pressure can and supposedly they turn out as good!!?
Do any of you deeper south folks have any experience with this.
I became addicted to Boiled Peanuts when we lived in FL, but I only have experience in cooking 15-20 gallons at a time for 8 to 12 hours, 3-4 adult beverages, while I "Work" at boiling them, and nibbling my way through the whole process.
Not complaining, it's a summer ritual when I can find green Jumbos, just thought I might be able to cut the time, nibbling and (tight shot of a small tear running down cheek) a few less beverages if it was REALLY as good the all day way.

Yes, it's best not too cook them all the way before processing. If you fully cook them, then process them, the texture is mushy. You just want to make sure they are hot all the way through and then process them. The consistency is more pleasant.

mesquite
02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Since nuts have a high oil content, what is the shelf life of canned nuts? Even sealed, wouldn't the oil become rancid within 6 months or so? I really like the idea of canning vs taking up space in the freezer if they kept a year or so.