PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Unmedicated Masses

cathcoug
07-30-2010, 01:27 AM
I work in the mental health field so I think about this a lot. So many people in the US are dependent on some kind of mood altering medication, from Prozac to anti-psychotics. What happens to them when the pharmacies are empty and the meds run out? Most psychotropic medications require a step down period in order to avoid sometimes debilitating withdrawal symptoms and yet most people who take these medications have no more than a 30 day supply on hand. Strange as it may sound, any medication that alters a persons mood is going to be very much sought after when the SHTF. Most of us are likely stocking up on pain killers and antibiotics but I have never heard of anyone stashing away Celexa or Clonopin, either for their own legitimate needs or for batering. I can only speak for myself, but I would not care to be on any psychiatric medications at this point in the game but for those of us who are, and really need to be, you should probably have a plan in place for after the crash. Just throwing this out there as I have never seen this discussed before.

Patriotic Sheepdog
07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Yes you are correct. There will be many people suffering if they can't have their "prozac" like drug. I feel you will see the majority of trouble between 30 and 120 days. This is because some people just get the monthly supply and others get the 3 month supply. After they have been off drug for a few days they will start experiencing "withdrawls". Some people have been on meds (sometimes multiple psychotropic medis and narcotics together) for quite a while. I believe they will get dangerous to some degree because the withdrawls will not be pleasant. I am not planning on storing any of the psychotropic type meds as I don't want to try and keep up on another med. YMMV

protus
07-30-2010, 07:40 AM
i think a 8035 mg dose of wolfenoyl would work? dont you think ;p

think about those who do not have their "pain" med fix.

I worry much more about those and street "drug" addicted people that are trying to get their "fix". They will be unpredictable in their actions tp stop the "pain".

1Admin
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting this. I brought this up a few times on the net, telling people they needed to start weaning themselves off any any meds that they did not need to LIVE. The first couple times their was such a commotion it was unbelievable.

crossbow
07-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I work in the mental health field so I think about this a lot. So many people in the US are dependent on some kind of mood altering medication, from Prozac to anti-psychotics. What happens to them when the pharmacies are empty and the meds run out? Most psychotropic medications require a step down period in order to avoid sometimes debilitating withdrawal symptoms and yet most people who take these medications have no more than a 30 day supply on hand. Strange as it may sound, any medication that alters a persons mood is going to be very much sought after when the SHTF. Most of us are likely stocking up on pain killers and antibiotics but I have never heard of anyone stashing away Celexa or Clonopin, either for their own legitimate needs or for batering. I can only speak for myself, but I would not care to be on any psychiatric medications at this point in the game but for those of us who are, and really need to be, you should probably have a plan in place for after the crash. Just throwing this out there as I have never seen this discussed before.

I feel for the people with ligetiment health related pain and they should start stocking up in some way, illegal or not. But the drug freaks that have a card given to them in many cities so they can go get a tax payer funded fix every day are in real trouble and will be among the first to die either by their own hands or by someone trying to defend their stash. many alcoholics,heavy smokers will also have a problem.

rice paddy daddy
07-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm with protus. The most dangerous will be the users of illegal drugs, especially crack and meth. Legitimate users of prescription drugs may have some morals, the average crackhead sure doesn't.
I live far enough out in the boonies to generally not have to worry about it, but five days a week I commute into the edges of the inner city - where gang bangers shoot even cops and dead bodies have been dumped on street where I work.

cathcoug
07-30-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree with you all the way Admin. Best to be living clean, physically, mentally and spiritually.

Bearman202
07-31-2010, 01:23 AM
There are a couple of interesting aspects to this thread. First, if you're planning on stocking up on pain meds/narcotics, be aware that under the current "war on civil rights" AKA "The War on Drugs" you can be charged if you have too many such meds EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE A PRESCRIPTION! You are allowed something like a 60 day supply. I'm not sure about that, so you might want to check. You do NOT want to be in a cage when TSHTF. The second aspect of this is that if you're stocking them up for barter, as soon as word gets out that you've got them, you become the black spot on the bullseye. If you think someone might kill you for a can of pork and beans, you can imagine what some dope fiend would be willing to do for an Oxycontin. I would be willing to bet that having such drugs around would kick up your security problem by a factor of ten, at least. If you need them for your own use, then stock up, but keep your mouth shut about them. IMHO, of course.

monkeybird
07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Anyone who has seen a person who suffers from Schizophrenia will tell you that these unfortunate human beings are incapable of rational thought and behavior. While in college as part of obtaining my Nursing degree, I spent 6 weeks in a locked mental health unit. It was eye opening to say the least. Without the 'meds' these people became extremely dangerous. A particular patient I remember believed that all of the student nurses were CIA plants and tried to attacked one of them with a folding chair. This guy was at least 6'4 and was HUGH. If it weren't for the even bigger male attendants, this nurse would have been badly hurt.

Since the 70's mainstreaming of seriously mentally impaired individuals is the norm. If fact, it has been deemed a basic right by the courts. It's when these people stop taking their meds, that they make it to a locked ward. They stay just long enough to get the medication levels high enough to control the symptoms, and released back into society. In many instances the families of the individuals have long ago given up trying to monitor their behavior.

Imagine if you will, hundreds of thousands of these affected people running out of meds. Schizophrenia is just one of the several illness that cause dangerious and violent behavior. Unfortunately, little can be done for them when TSHTF.

Addicted drug users are a different story. Hardcore users have no conscious. They will do anything to get a fix. In the book "One Second After" addicts raided a nursing home and took the drugs needed for dying cancer patients. This would happen all over the country.