PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble finding wheat in my area.

96thTallarn
08-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I am having trouble find wheat in bulk in my area. Although I live in a very rural area and have checked everywhere I can think of I have not been able to find wheat in bulk. I'm not sure if I am not asking for the correct item or using the correct term when calling, so any suggestions you folks could make would be greatly appreciated. Failing that, could anyone point me at someplace I could order from, I would like to pack it myself. Thanks.

Rmplstlskn
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
It may not be what you are looking for, but it is an option...
Emergency Essentials Year Supply of Grains (http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS%20Y210)

I bought one a few years ago when it was cheaper, and shipping was inexpensive for the weight. It came sealed in big buckets with sealed mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Very well packed and sealed.

I mention that because my own adventures with packing showed me that if you do not have the right tools and equipment, it can be a hassle. Besides making a mess with spilling as I packed, eventually attracting vermin to the spilled rice and grains that dropped through the deck boards, trying to get a good mylar seal can be challenging when it is in the bucket. I had a device that was used for sealing heat-shrink plastic wrap that every retail box is covered with. It was tough to get a seal without leaving to much air space above the food. A big hassle. I have seen videos of people using irons but I have not tried that (as my wife would killl me). All that work made the EE year supply buckets a bargain in my book...

Rmpl

96thTallarn
08-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I guess I should have also put in the first post, that I have packed some material myself. So far I have packed a little over 500 lbs of food (rice, beans, corn, and oats) in mylar bags, with oxy. absorbers, and 5 gal. buckets. I watched several videos on YouTube from a guy that I thinks posts here on this board. Once I had everything lined up, as far as materials, it all went fairly smooth. I just copied what the gentleman in the videos did and before I knew it I was done. Within a few hours the mylar bags were sucked down tight and holding.

crossbow
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess I should have also put in the first post, that I have packed some material myself. So far I have packed a little over 500 lbs of food (rice, beans, corn, and oats) in mylar bags, with oxy. absorbers, and 5 gal. buckets. I watched several videos on YouTube from a guy that I thinks posts here on this board. Once I had everything lined up, as far as materials, it all went fairly smooth. I just copied what the gentleman in the videos did and before I knew it I was done. Within a few hours the mylar bags were sucked down tight and holding.

you should ck out honeyville grain, there stuff is a little high, but with 4.49 shipping for everything, it's hard to beat,the more you buy, the more you save.I tried to figure the shipping cost from Emergency Essentials but had tpo sign in so i stopped, but i'll bet that just shipping that stuff is a couple hundred dollars. I've bought over a ton of wheat,beans,oats,lentils, split peas from Honeyville, and over a hundred pails from HD, oxey absorbers and mylar bags from another placeas i've bought many, many pails of rice, sugar from Sams and BJs.JMO

monkeybird
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
As Lowdown told us, animal feed is the same as human wheat only not as clean. I buy from the local farmers exchange for a very reasonable price. It comes in 50 pounds bags and looks very clean to me. I pack it in 5 gal. pails. You'll save a significant amount of money buying the animal feed.

Rmplstlskn
08-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I tried to figure the shipping cost from Emergency Essentials but had tpo sign in so i stopped, but i'll bet that just shipping that stuff is a couple hundred dollars.

Nope, it is a flat $12... The shipping costs link is at the bottom of the page...

Shipping Rates
Now when you buy from Emergency Essentials, it costs you less to have your lower-priced item shipped to you! Plus, when you buy high-volume products such as year's supplies, it still costs only $12.00! Thank you for getting prepared with Emergency Essentials.

Total Order Amount New Shipping Rates
Up to $60.00 $6.00
$60.01-$120.00 $9.00
$120.01 or more $12.00
Shipping based on contiguous 48 states

Additional charges for Alaska, Hawaii, APO, and FPO.

96thTallarn
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. It's feed stores that I have been checking. Everybody has oats ($10-$12 for 50 lbs.) and corn ($5-$7 for 50 lbs.)in my area but nobody has wheat. I checked with the feed store we used to buy from when I was a kid (when we still had animals), and the old fella who is still there, said he didn't know anyone in the area using just wheat, "they are all using corn, oats, or one of the mixes". That's why I thought maybe I'm not asking for the correct product. I did find on Amazon a place selling it for $45.95 plus $25 shipping for 50 lbs. That works out to $1.42 per pound. Emergency Essentials would work out to $1.02 already packed. Honeyville would be $.94 a pound in buckets. The best I could pack it myself for at $9.00 for 50 lbs. would be $.30 per pound. Both of those places would be doable if I can't find it locally. Does feed wheat go by any other name besides "feed wheat"? Is their another term that might be used instead? Thanks again for the suggestions guys, keep them coming. I am bound and determined to get this done.

eeyore
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
You might try these people, a little to far for a pick up, but might be worth your wild. This is clean wheat not stock feed. The only thing i heard negative about stock feed wheat is that animal feed are allowed to use a higher amount of pesticide then they are allowed to use on wheat for human consumption. Not sure if i believe it, but hat is what i have been told.

http://www.waltonfeed.com/category/38

96thTallarn
08-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Just thought that I would let everyone know that I was able to find some, 75 lbs., wheat today. At Wal-Mart or all places. I went in to do my bi-weekly shopping tonight and found 3 25 lbs. bags of red winter wheat. I was very supprised. I also noticed that they had restocked the large bags of long grain white rice and pinto beans that they were out of on my last trip. If anyone could still point me at another local store that might also stock wheat or a feed store with wheat I would still appreciate it. Thanks for the help so far guys.

crossbow
08-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Just thought that I would let everyone know that I was able to find some, 75 lbs., wheat today. At Wal-Mart or all places. I went in to do my bi-weekly shopping tonight and found 3 25 lbs. bags of red winter wheat. I was very supprised. I also noticed that they had restocked the large bags of long grain white rice and pinto beans that they were out of on my last trip. If anyone could still point me at another local store that might also stock wheat or a feed store with wheat I would still appreciate it. Thanks for the help so far guys.

I make the rounds to 4 different walmarts all within 30 miles of me and have yet to ever see any wheat, even in the Sams down the rd from one WM. I'll have to make a call to each one every couple days. what was the price per bag?

96thTallarn
08-09-2010, 07:47 AM
In all fairness, I had not even looked at Wal-Mart before. I just happened to stumble on the bags in the baking isle. They were on the bottom shelf along with the large bags of flour. It was $12.97 for a 25 lbs. bag. Good luck on your hunt.