PDA

View Full Version : Review of "The Forge" DVD

Lowdown3
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Wow! Go buy this DVD now!!!

www.gospelofviolence.com

Sonny has done an awesome job with this DVD. Just picked up a couple this weekend and I'm only about 75% of the way through it and have already gotten my money's worth six times over!!!

I've been picking up some of these exercises here and there from seminars with him over the last couple years. I've seen a big difference in core strength in my stand up and ground game.

Serious conditioning for the serious survivor.

I would recommend if you have not done some of these before that you first start with the exercises that do not require any kettlebells. Listen to and watch every demonstration and focus more on correct form, good breathing and doing the exercise slowly. This is NOT "grunt grunt PUSH IT! PUSH IT!" typical American gym see how much you can bench press gym type non sense.

I've fought those types of guys (beach body muscle gym types). They LOOK strong as Hades. They usually have NO range of motion in their arms and legs. It's easy to break their arms when they get frustrated and resort to trying to bench press you off of them. They are lifting weights to try to look good, NOT to prepare themselves for a fight. Grapple or stand up with some of them for a while and you'll understand what I mean.

Sonny's DVD will help you prepare your body for a FIGHT, not necessarily to "look good at the beach." Although realistically a better looking body is a side effect of this type of work.

Buy the DVD, work on doing ONE single exercise shown correctly. Realistically their is a LOT more to a plank pushup than you'll catch at first glance or probably doing it the first couple dozen times.

All of life's questions can be answered in that plank hold position- or so I'm told. ;)

www.gospelofviolence.com

610Alpha
03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I am planning on getting some of his DVD's and some of the Systema DVD's.

Wondering how I can start working with my 4 year old son...we wrestle about 3x a week but its more fun than anything....should i start now with some small stuff?

Really appreciate some suggestions on this frankly my father didn't encourage me in this stuff so I am at a loss for an example of how to encourage/teach this. I know when he is older I want to train with him.

justanothergunnut
05-29-2013, 05:55 PM
This is one area I am seriously neglectful in.. Im in good shape, not overweight though I lack a lot of the stamina and ability to run long distance like I could when I was a young man. I also have no formal training in hand to hand or the like.. I KNOW I KNOW,, what am I thinking. It's one of those things that I know I should be taking care of it just seems like I am always running out of time. No excuse I know, If I would just get started I would probably find the time. Making excuses is easier!!

Rmplstlskn
05-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the review... I will have to get this soon, as it sounds like USEFUL exercises...

He is a bad-arse! Deadly...

xdpatriot
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I just ordered it last night. I've been working out solid for a month now again. I've lost 15 pounds and put on some muscle. I plan on switching from this to P90X cardio, back to running and biking every month or so and mix weights in as well, along with hand to hand training.
I'm going to one of his seminars this year. Thanks for the review.

xdpatriot
05-29-2013, 07:13 PM

Wondering how I can start working with my 4 year old son...we wrestle about 3x a week but its more fun than anything....should i start now with some small stuff?

Really appreciate some suggestions on this frankly my father didn't encourage me in this stuff so I am at a loss for an example of how to encourage/teach this. I know when he is older I want to train with him.

I would start him off with some basic punches and blocks. It's different for everyone, children too. Start slow and see where his coordination is. Great way to spend quality family time for sure. A great balance.

Matt In Oklahoma
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM

I started my son with with American Karate which one of the "Power Rangers" actors had a video on. He loved the PRs and it held his attention. Dunno if there is anything like that now but watch and see even if its not your intended "style" the base will be there.

Lowdown3
05-29-2013, 09:22 PM
The Gracie marketing gurus have that "Bullyproof" program for kids. Which is essentially their "Gracie Combatives" program (DVD learning) ciphered down a bit for the kiddos. I think they are lighter on chokes IIRC. The submissions are valid in the kids program and more importantly, they learn how to move on the ground, avoid some conflict, things of what nature. It's done in a real fun atmosphere and the brothers teach pretty good.

The "Gracie Combatives" DVD series is basically the Gracie Marketing Machine's (Lol) distance learning system using DVD's. At the end you can submit a video online to them showing techniques, some sparring, etc. and they send you a blue belt. Honestly, that sort of thing is kind of a joke in a lot of traditional grappling based schools, as you can usually pick out the "combatives" blue belts from real blue belts. Nothing beats first hand instruction and real time and regular sparring. That being said, if distance to a school is a problem, time factors, etc. then it's an option.

When you combine some of the pillars of Systema (structure, breathing, relaxation, movement) with ground fighting you get a great combination IMO. :)

If you have any chance to train with Sonny in Systema by all means do so. You'll learn a lot, come fresh and "remember to breathe, I heard that helps."