PDA

View Full Version : Walke Talkies/Scanners

JUSTIFIED
03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi all. Several years ago I worked in the mountains of Colorado where radio contact was bad we used walkie talkie/scanners that were high dollar. I don't remember what brand they were. I'm looking at some basic talkies on Amazon that advertise a 36 mile range but would also like scanner availability without getting into a chunk of change.

Anybody have any ideas on what I could look at?...and where? There is a military surplus store about an hour away that I'm going to check out soon but want to pick some brains first.

EX121
03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Check out the blog articles on radios & antennas it may answer some questions.
The range of the radios depends on line of sight, the 36 miles will be for flat terrain. If there are hills or other obstructions the range will be less.
Ham radios that have the ability to be used with a repeater are not too expensive & the test for a Technician liscense is fairly easy.
There are several threads on Ham radios on the forums that may also answer your questions or give you ideas.

JUSTIFIED
03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I want something that I can keep in touch with Patriot Lady with and not be identified on the cell phone. I work anywhere from 15 to 22 miles from home so I'm hoping the talkies will do.

I've thought about a Ham radio for when the shtf but just haven't wanted to go through getting the license. If the shtf I don't think if will matter if I'm licensed or not. LOL

Thanks for the info. EX121. I'll give the threads a look.

EX121
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I understand your concerns. But it's really a mater of being limited to 5 watts of power or less and line of sight transmissions. If you check out some of the ham radio web sites you may get a better idea. Another option is look at the MURS frequency. You can sometimes pick up reconditioned police/public service band radios and have them reprogrammed to the appropriate frequencies. None of them will do anything about the privacy issues.

JUSTIFIED
03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I'll give the ham radios some study. Sounds like that may be the way to go. I know radios can be tracked but I think it would be a bit tougher if they don't have a way of knowing who the radio belongs to. If our cell phones get knocked out the talkies could at least provide some short range communication, depending on the terrain you live in.

bcdallas
02-19-2013, 11:44 PM
I just got a pair of hand held radios so I could have some back up commo, I then read the instruction book that came with it and got a reminder of the basics of Radio commo, the channels that get any distance on them mean you have to have a HAM license to use them, sad part is I knew this but had forgotten it, so me being me I am gona have a bit of studying to do so I can get a license.

JUSTIFIED
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I understand your concerns. But it's really a mater of being limited to 5 watts of power or less and line of sight transmissions. If you check out some of the ham radio web sites you may get a better idea. Another option is look at the MURS frequency. You can sometimes pick up reconditioned police/public service band radios and have them reprogrammed to the appropriate frequencies. None of them will do anything about the privacy issues.
Yeah, I agree. Walkies are definitely close contact only. There's a Midland radio shop in a town near us that sells reconditioned police/public service band radios. I'm going to stop in there and talk to them next time I'm over that way.

justanothergunnut
05-23-2013, 11:26 PM
I own the Wouxun dual frequency radios and am very happy with them.. Very versatile, good power, lots of features and mine are weather resistant. Consider that you can use them to monitor your dakota alert MURS perimeter sensors AND scan your other frequencies at the same time and the purchase is a no brainer.. especially at $125 ea

GLJones
05-25-2013, 03:34 AM
I got 3 of the Baufung UV-5 radios. They are basically copies of the Wouxuns at less than 1/2 the cost. I added some long whip antennas to them and I can hit repeaters 10-15 miles away. They get 2m and 70cm including MURS, FRS and te Licensed Family Radio frequencies plus they have an FM radio in them.

Don't forget a solar charger for them in case of a power outage of long or permanent duration.

Get your HAM license because you need to practice with them and learn their limitations before you need them.

Dennis W
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
We have some GMRS radios that claim 36 miles, but it's really less the 1 mile here in the woods. We also have some yaesu VX-5R's. These we get over a mile. I have the Dakota alerts around and can montor the alerts, and talk to the base station using the vx-5r.