PDA

View Full Version : Those great cities!

Lowdown3
08-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I find it fascinating that people want to argue that the city will be a GOOD place to be if something happens.

They just need to watch the news for a while-

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/housing-crisis-reaches-full-589653.html

Thirty thousand people turned out in East Point on Wednesday seeking applications for government-subsidized housing, and their confusion and frustration, combined with the summer heat, led to a chaotic mob scene that left 62 people injured.
Enlarge photo
Crowds swarm at Tri-Cities Plaza in East Point on Wednesday morning as people try to apply for Section 8 housing.
Vino Wong, vwong@ajc.com Crowds swarm at Tri-Cities Plaza in East Point on Wednesday morning as people try to apply for Section 8 housing.
Enlarge photo
Crowds line up for housing vouchers in East Point on Wednesday morning.
Mike Morris/AJC, Mike Morris/AJC Crowds line up for housing vouchers in East Point on Wednesday morning.

At the Tri-Cities Plaza Shopping Center, emergency vehicles passed each other, transporting 20 people to hospitals. Medical and police command posts were set up on scene. East Point police wore riot gear. Officers from four other agencies supported them. Yet no arrests were made.

All of this resulted from people attempting to obtain Section 8 housing applications and, against long odds, later securing vouchers for affordable residences. Some waited in line for two days for the applications.

Renee Gray, a single mother holding her one-year-old daughter, Marion, came looking for a housing break and nearly got trampled, forcing her to run from the crowd and into the street.

"It could have been better organized," said Gray, a customer service employee. "A lot of adults lost focus.

crossbow
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I think the people that were at the Tri-Cities Plaza Shopping Center have made a life out of standing in lines waiting for free housing,medical help, food stamps,ect. and leaving all their garbage at the last place they were.

monkeybird
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
The attitude of these people show just how far from self reliance and self respect we have come as a nation. I remember when most folks would have been ashamed to have been on public assistance. Nowadays, people think it is their RIGHT!

Lowdown3
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Amen to that Monkeybird. We were down in the "big city" last weekend attending a wild edibles class. We went for lunch to a Taco Bell. My first thought was "get it to go" but we went inside anyways. The three of us sat there and heard an early 20's Mom talk about how she "stopped working so she could get food stamps." It went downhill from there.

eeyore
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
If someone makes less then 50 grand a year, they are better off with the unemployment. The character of our country has changed, not for the better i'm afraid.

People say well if they are just giving the money away (my tax dollars, not the governments to give) then why should i go out and work for maybe 50 bucks more a week, it easier for me to set home and be inconvenienced once a week to go get a "free" check.

protus
08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
If someone makes less then 50 grand a year, they are better off with the unemployment. The character of our country has changed, not for the better i'm afraid.

i make WELL below that.....i just refuse to live on "ghetto" credit like most shown on TV these last few days. I do agree with you and many others the attitude of people has changed...and for the worst imho.
Hell it is funny that now we have "financial" change on over drafts. When i was younger if you didn't have it,, you got "denied" in front over everyone..i guess 30$ got to be to much for embarrassment all of a sudden :p funny how all that works aint it....talk about flip flops...

Kat
08-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Amen to that Monkeybird! That pretty much sums it all up.

Buster
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
wonder how many would have turned out if it wasn't so hot

bountyhunter69
08-14-2010, 08:43 AM
now we seen what happened with handing out applications for WAITING LIST..now just think,u me and everyone could possibly live outside for long time under a bridge,in tent or many other places we see many of the homeless reside.now just think what would it have been if the line had been for food,and everyone hungry after all available food for sale was gone and food stamps are worthless..my friends,just be ready to head to the hills with plenty of beans,bullets and band-aids cause God knows we gonna need em

GAGLOCK
08-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Three days without food and that crowd will start eating each other

Patriotic Sheepdog
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
The title says it all...Those Great Cities!

The cities is where you get "free stuff", not in the country. In the country there is work to do. The sheep wouldn't want to have to do that when they can get money/stuff for free. (Notice I didn't say free money as it isn't free). I agree with GAGLOCK if a true SHTF crisis was upon them, three days and they will be shoot'n and stabb'n each other just to get the other guys food stamps and beer. But what they won't know is the food stamps won't be worth anything.