PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Prepper Fitness to Survive and Thrive

max velocity
07-26-2012, 02:03 PM

1Admin
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Excellent thread, five stars!!

One thing I would add is don't get complacent. I.e, the "well I'm heavy but I can still do such and such" type of thing. Been there done that for many years. Before I lost 50 lbs. I could still run our normal mile, but now I can run it faster. I could still fight H2H for 5 minutes all out, but now I can do that much better.

Their is ALWAYS room for improvement in fitness.

I remember Sonny P. at a seminar talking about how everyone on the net always talks about not giving up in the fight, etc. OK then, spend 5 minutes in the knuckle pushup position. Don't give up, breathe through it. 5 minutes is a LOOONG time. Can't do five? Don't feel bad most people can't. Try for 3 minutes.

Here's another simple test-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wznj0B9V4lc&feature=plcp

610Alpha
07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
uhhhmmmmm he said survive and thrive!!!!!! muh ah ah ah..... LOL

He must not have listened to your podcast!! I know he was talking about fitness but I couldn't resist poking 1Admin...

610Alpha
07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Good thread...now I need to watch 1Admins video.

610Alpha
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I had forgotten about that video....that was a great example and very easy to implement.

Matt In Oklahoma
07-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Max this really plays into what i posted on movement on http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?4660-Covert-Bug-Out

BTW I still have a 6 pack, it's in my insulated cooler LOL

JUSTIFIED
08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Max this really plays into what i posted on movement on http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?4660-Covert-Bug-Out

BTW I still have a 6 pack, it's in my insulated cooler LOL
You too?

Good post and video. I stop my equipment and do a few rounds of pushups, squats and stretching everyday but am still carrying some extra meals around the waist. Hey! I love to eat! I'm watching the video as I type. I noticed the shooter wasn't running all out. If you've been running hard how do you control your breathing while shooting when you're winded from running?

Lowdown3
08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
You too?

Good post and video. I stop my equipment and do a few rounds of pushups, squats and stretching everyday but am still carrying some extra meals around the waist. Hey! I love to eat! I'm watching the video as I type. I noticed the shooter wasn't running all out. If you've been running hard how do you control your breathing while shooting when you're winded from running?

A minute to get off the ground, take off and cover 200 yards, take a couple of good shots carrying gear probably isn't great, but it probably isn't bad. I doubt it's record breaking ;)

You control breathing by: staying in shape so a run doesn't kill you, getting used to carrying your gear around, learning to breathe properly and recovery breathing, learn to shoot under stress. Controlling your breathing helps control your heart rate which makes your shooting easier. The more solid the platform helps also. Obviously no one was shooting back, but getting low is always a good idea. The problem is people get lazy and it's not easy to get back up quickly with gear on, so people cheeze out on getting low in training. Solve that by having someone work around them with an airsoft pistol and give them a little "reminder" here and there to get their butts down. Sometimes cover isn't 10 feet tall so you don't have to get down. :)

JUSTIFIED
08-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks Lowdown.

Probably a good idea to do some walking around town with my pack but since it's camo I'd get a lot of questions in my tiny Peyton Place village. Need to put comparable weight in a regular pack and use that.

I know breathing is important, but I imagine for the average joe keeping that site steady will be a real issue if ever comes the time that your targets are actually shooting back atcha. Unparalleled nervousness and adrenalin rush!

Matt In Oklahoma
08-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks Lowdown.

Probably a good idea to do some walking around town with my pack but since it's camo I'd get a lot of questions in my tiny Peyton Place village. Need to put comparable weight in a regular pack and use that.

I know breathing is important, but I imagine for the average joe keeping that site steady will be a real issue if ever comes the time that your targets are actually shooting back atcha. Unparalleled nervousness and adrenalin rush!

I tell folks I'm preparing for a hunt and with the non military camo pack they buy it. Truthfully i am preparing for a hunt

JUSTIFIED
08-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I tell folks I'm preparing for a hunt and with the non military camo pack they buy it. Truthfully i am preparing for a hunt
I'd have to tell folks here I'm just doing some exercise and carrying the pack to work out my legs. Most here know I don't hunt. I know I'm gonna have to learn sometime though. I don't want to be a vegetarian if the shtf!

Matt In Oklahoma
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
What about those totally unprepared? What are they going to do?
you already know the answer
some will perish some will get tough

JUSTIFIED
08-30-2012, 09:30 PM
you already know the answer
some will perish some will get tough
Reminds me of "One Second After". Very interesting to see who survived and adapted and who perished.

Hit or Miss
09-01-2012, 05:26 PM
As often as I can, I take my dog with me to a local park that has a walking / jogging trail and put on my "get home" backpack. It's not camo or military looking. Then I usually walk 4 or 5 miles. I have my answer ready if anyone questions me about it. I'm, getting ready for a "hiking trip" this fall, spring, or summer- whenever. No one has ever asked, usually they just smile and say "cute dog".

JUSTIFIED
09-01-2012, 09:34 PM
As often as I can, I take my dog with me to a local park that has a walking / jogging trail and put on my "get home" backpack. It's not camo or military looking. Then I usually walk 4 or 5 miles. I have my answer ready if anyone questions me about it. I'm, getting ready for a "hiking trip" this fall, spring, or summer- whenever. No one has ever asked, usually they just smile and say "cute dog".
I need to start doing that with my work backpack. I'm only about a 1/4 mile from work. It would be a 10 minute walk each way and good exercise.