PDA

View Full Version : Alternative training methods for firing/moving drills

610Alpha
04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
How many have switched to alternative training methods to practice their fire and move drills?

Paintball?

Air Soft?

Other?

With ammo shortages all over are you considering one of these to still practice fire/move, CQB, or force on force?

You can get marking air soft bb's, 5,000 rds for $14...that could be a lot of practice. Are we willing to break out of our norm to practice, beware of the "its not a real bullet so there's no benefit" mentality. We talk a lot about unconventional methods for food resupply, shelter, transportation and all kinds of things this is no different. I am NOT saying stop practicing with live ammo, I am saying supplement your training with a cheaper alternative. Moving on patrols doesn't require live ammo, and force on force doesn't require live ammo (best not to for this one). Practicing these things and keeping up on these skills doesn't require live ammo.

Practicing trigger pull on an AR platform is as cheap as a dime. We used to put a dime and balance it on the barrel, battle buddy would put on there while you squeezed the trigger and kept the dime on the barrel through the whole pull.

Matt In Oklahoma
04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Already implemented. Airsoft, BB guns whatever we can get our hands on and do. Extra dry fire. Use the lasers to see if you doing it right. You shine that laser on a spot on the wall it tells on you alot when you pull the trigger. The combatives stuff i take is trying to get together another FonF with airsoft.
But ya know this goes hand in hand with the other discussion on folks just wanting to be spoon fed. They wont train anymore than they will get up and jog tomorrow morning or go to the range when they do get the allotted 1 box of ammo at the store or show up when training is being conducted (even free stuff) etc

Not_Yet_Prepped
04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
beware of the "its not a real bullet so there's no benefit" mentality.

Turn it into some sort of competition, Like who ever wins gets free beer for the weekend or no dish duty. Make it mean something.

Practicing trigger pull on an AR platform is as cheap as a dime. We used to put a dime and balance it on the barrel, battle buddy would put on there while you squeezed the trigger and kept the dime on the barrel through the whole pull.

I will practice "shooting" at the ground hole in a outlet across the room. You get to where you notice every little input, you know the old saying "aim small, miss small" really holds true.

610Alpha
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Already implemented. Airsoft, BB guns whatever we can get our hands on and do. Extra dry fire. Use the lasers to see if you doing it right. You shine that laser on a spot on the wall it tells on you alot when you pull the trigger. The combatives stuff i take is trying to get together another FonF with airsoft.
But ya know this goes hand in hand with the other discussion on folks just wanting to be spoon fed. They wont train anymore than they will get up and jog tomorrow morning or go to the range when they do get the allotted 1 box of ammo at the store or show up when training is being conducted (even free stuff) etc

I forgot to list that one. There are some pretty neat Pre-Charged bb/pellet guns out there.

They will wish they had spent more time training, the school of hard knocks is a mean teacher.

Matt In Oklahoma
04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?3620-Protective-Mask-Training&highlight=protective