PDA

View Full Version : Splints

Patriotic Sheepdog
09-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Okay, had a few hours today and what to do? I needed to make some splints and had a cardboard box just waiting to be cut....so, put on Red Dawn (remake) and off to it.

If you have some spare cardboard lying around, you can make some simple splints. They can be any size you want so don't worry on the "exact" size. I used the dimensions that I could get the most out of the box I had. The sizes you can buy are usually 12", 18" and 24" long. There may be other sizes, but....

The ones I made measure approximately 8" wide by 10" long and 8" wide by 22" long. I was going to cut the longer ones down to 18" but I can always do that when I use them if I need to.

First, I measured and marked.
Second, I used my ESEE Izula II to cut the cardboard.
Third, I rounded the corners with a pair of scissors.
Fourth, I took my yard stick and folded the sides of the splints so the sides are about two inches. That makes the center section about 4" wide which should be fine foe most lower legs and forearms.

With my box, I was able to make 20 short splints and 10 long ones. Total time was about an hour....but I was watching Red Dawn.

These, plus some Ace wraps or triangular bandages and your set for some basic splinting. Make some extra ones for training. All it costs you is some of your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matt In Oklahoma
09-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Interesting and a real good idea especially for training all while watching training film #1 hmmm