PDA

View Full Version : Survival and Preparedness videos, what would YOU like to see?

Lowdown3
09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
So we started off last week posting short videos on youtube specific to topics that have come up here on the board. The first one involved the issue of "follow through" in regards to trigger control in marksmanship and is posted on the "Training forum."

The concept behind these is that we will make these videos and post them so that ONLY folks that come to the site here can view them. For me, this opens out a lot larger topic base that I feel comfortable discussing/teaching on video. I'm hardly a "stay hidden" type of guy, but I'd prefer a video of me showing some shooting instruction is only seen by a couple hundred folks on this site versus thousands on youtube :)

My idea is that, where possible, at least once a month we will post a new "Survival and Preparedness forum ONLY" video.

Looking for ideas on topics folks would like to see covered on these videos.

Your ideas?
Lowdown3

eeyore
09-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Personally i like the homestead type stuff. I did learn from the first one, never been taught that before. Nobody like to amplify there failures, but even a videos on what does not work is worth wild, even if you show things that don't work, others can learn from.

Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
Thomas A. Edison

Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison

Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

“We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb”
Thomas Alva Edison quotes (Most famous American Inventor who, singly or jointly, held a world record 1.093 patents. In addition, he created the world's first industrial research laboratory, 1847-1931)

GAGLOCK
09-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see some "eat what you store" cooking videos. I think I remember reading one of your posts where you said your family eats a variety of rice and beans meals 6 days a week. You've got to have some good recipes to do that. My son's been experimenting with bean veggie burgers and they're pretty good.

He got the idea from this youtube video "MARTIAL LAW BURGERS!!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWnTwhmDZlU

Rmplstlskn
09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
One of the most challenging to me is GEAR SETUP and WEAPON USE so it all works smoothly...

For example, I have a gear rig set up for GOOD use when using a vehicle is not an option. But its bulky and weapon use (carbine with sling especially) is not smooth or without snags here and there... You have mag pouches, FAK, BOK, backpack, hydration, knife, handgun, misc pouches... all of them with edges, corners, straps and things that can hook up something...

Then I have a more streamlined kit for simple perimeter patrols, which is smooth and functional, but once stuff is added, BULK kicks in and things become difficult.

Another is "perimeter security" and use of "lines of fire" while under threat of intruders... I wish I had a whole team of trained guys, but in reality, it would be wife holding down the home and kids, and JUST ME doing a recon and possible engagement of the imminent danger. (I do not belong to a group or covenant community at this time)

Those are my ideas...

Rmpl

Patriotic Sheepdog
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Agree with Rmpl...gear set up vids. Would also like to see some tactics vids as well. Mililtary tactics, patrols, pieing (I think that's what it is called), maybe some basic H2H stuff as well.

rockriver
09-14-2010, 06:28 AM
some great ideas. i second the motion.
suggestions
cleaning of firearms
building a bug out bag
buying/choosing and using a gas mask

protus
09-14-2010, 07:49 AM
building a bug out bag

this is one in the works on my end that will be specfic to the S+P forum and go into more depth( what items/sizing a ruck, fitting a ruck )than the current one on PAWs channel that covers basic pack suggestions and 3 day load out. Have you seen those yet RR( they may help in the mean time)?

Gas mask one is a good idea, many folks ask so much about what mask it "best" it seems. Just like IBA options.

1Admin
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Keep the ideas coming. Just understand that some of these won't be possible for OPSEC reasons.

610Alpha
09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Some people might like to know how to dig a foxhole (and how to properly camouflage it) or hasty fighting position for rocky terrain. Both of these could be a series of videos. If I had the time I would do one of these. But with the wife in school and 2 kids under 5 doesn't leave me with a lot of free time.

Set up sectors of fire and how to draw them up for the CQ.

Product reviews/comparisons/demos is always a good choice.

Video on how to use a military map protractor with a USGS grid map and compass, I saw one post about it but this is one of those that it is probably easier to learns by watching than reading.

Matt In Oklahoma
09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
On the map reading make sure to include pace count, it's good for flat lands, trails and road and discuss the drawbacks over rough terrain. Lots of folks can benifit from that I think