PDA

View Full Version : EMP Question

Matt In Oklahoma
09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
If there were an EMP event what vehicles besides older car/trucks will be uneffected if their battery survives or if it can be push started and recharged. I am specifically curious about 4 wheelers, motorcycles, riding mowers etc. I know these are opinions and even my cold war training was sketchy at best.

Jerry D Young
09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
If it has little or no electronics and no long wire runs then it should be okay. If it has much in the way of electronic controls or a lot of wiring, it is at risk. Just my opinion.

monkeybird
09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
The federal government keeps giving us confusing data about the possibility and the effects of an EMP. I have read reports that say cars, airplanes, motorcycles etc will not work, to a new report by a liberal think tank that says it much to do about nothing! So I wonder why the Dems and Obama voted to spend a whole lot of money to harden Washington DC.

So, Matt, when you get the real scoop let me know, cause the 'scientist' seem to be as confused as I am.

Lowdown3
09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
The federal government keeps giving us confusing data about the possibility and the effects of an EMP. I have read reports that say cars, airplanes, motorcycles etc will not work, to a new report by a liberal think tank that says it much to do about nothing! So I wonder why the Dems and Obama voted to spend a whole lot of money to harden Washington DC.

So, Matt, when you get the real scoop let me know, cause the 'scientist' seem to be as confused as I am.

Probably because they stopped doing actual weapons tests years ago and now relay on computer models.

I'm still planning for and protecting what I can against EMP. My NVG's always remain inside pelican cases inside of ammo cans. Ditto with most radios, some duplicates (backups) of the seismic sets, survey meters, etc.

Eventually I'd like to get an extra solar panel or two to put away in a metal building along with other components, but it's awful hard to justify that much money to not be used regularly and only kept as a backup to the backup.

mtncharlie
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
If you have the resources, park your vehicles in a garage in which you have installed a web of copper lines (half inch water lines would work best, but whatever you can buy or scrounge will work). These should be deeply grounded at several points (at least two feet down), that should dissipate any EMP unless it's right on top of you - then you won't have to worry about it.

Matt In Oklahoma
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
So if I use wire does it need to be exposed/stripped of the plastic cover or does it have to be copper (whew expensive and currently being stolen faster than scrounged) pipe?