PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Laserlyte Laser Trainer

jimmycthemd
08-18-2014, 03:08 PM
This is a writeup of my impression of the Laserlyte LT-PRO pistol laser trainer.

I bought the LT-PRO about 2 months ago because I wasn't getting to the range often enough to improve my shooting and dry firing wasn't giving me enough feedback. I didn't want to reinforce bad habits.

Here's a picture of the device:

The front end (where the laser comes out) is tapered and fits both my 9mm and 45ACP. The back end has a screw-in adjustment for the different calibers.
The operation is pretty straight forward. Adjust it, stuff it down the barrel of your (empty) gun and fire it. The vibration of the hammer fall triggers the laser and you get a pulse that illuminates where the bullet would have struck. Pretty simple. And it works. I'm not going to go into the safety aspects of empty mags, etc.., as I believe most folks here have been through it.

What it helps with:

1) Stance
2) Grip
3) Sight picture
4) Breathing
5) Trigger control

What it won't help with:

1) Flinching (with live ammo)
2) Recoil control
3) Fast target re-acquisistion after a live fire

I practiced with the trainer 2 to 3 times a week for the last two months at distances from 5ft, 10ft, 20ft and 30ft; standing, kneeling and prone.

Went to the indoor range yesterday after 2 months of no range time (extremely busy summer). Results: My groups at 20ft were what they used to be at 10ft, 30ft what they used to be at 20ft.

Especially for those of us that don't get the range time, I feel it's definitely a worthwhile investment. I paid around $100 for it.

Here's a link to the product description, etc.: http://www.laserlyte.com/products/trainer-lt-pro