PDA

View Full Version : Fitness classes

610Alpha
09-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Yep I am guilty just like we all can be of not exercising enough. I used to do just free weights and did for several years but that was it. In my attempt to be more intentional about my life I am taking a fitness class at my local YMCA. Its fast paced and I am sucking wind like a smoker (thankfully I quit years ago) and sweating like a ___________________________ you fill in your favorite sweat joke.

LD3 has mentioned on here as well as others about how fast people run out of gas and I agree, by the end of the class I am so red faced and sweaty that I can barely think about the movements that I am supposed to be doing.

The class is called "Boot Camp" at least I don't have someone yelling at me while I am doing the exercises ;)

Lowdown3
09-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Good for you! Physical fitness is a huge part of being prepared.

Patriotic Sheepdog
09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
The hardest part is getting in the door to the class. All the rest is the easy part. Keep it going. Great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

610Alpha
11-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Update - I have lost about 10 lbs...205 right now. Not as out of breath. Getting more endurance. The exercises usually work 2 or more major muscle groups at a time.

Step up on to a chair while doing curls w/ dumbbells at the same time.
Side plank while raising a dumbbell.

Just a couple of exercises I can think of.

Patriotic Sheepdog
11-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Great job...keep it going. The hard part is we are heading into the holidays and there will be a few days that food will be aplenty. Be careful and just say no, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

610Alpha
11-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Great job...keep it going. The hard part is we are heading into the holidays and there will be a few days that food will be aplenty. Be careful and just say no, lol.

Exactly!! I think the other factor is I have greatly reduced my grain intake and have been moving more towards a paleo diet. I did cheat when my wife made her famous chicken and noodles, man those are good eatin.

protus
11-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Stay away from grains....beer....sugars...high Carb junk.
I've dropped round 15+ since the start of the year...
In a set back right now but ill be back.

One thing stay motivated ... once I get UN motivated I start slacking.

610Alpha
11-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Stay away from grains....beer....sugars...high Carb junk.
I've dropped round 15+ since the start of the year...
In a set back right now but ill be back.

One thing stay motivated ... once I get UN motivated I start slacking.

Couldn't agree more...I just don't want to lose muscle mass that comes from being a skinny kid until I was 25. I don't think I will but its a concern of mine.

Thinking about trying some "Green Smoothy" recipes to see if there is any benefit.

Tackleberry
11-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Two months ago my employer opened a workout room on the first floor of our building. It's not much to talk about. Two ellipticals, 3 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, and 2 weight racks with dumbbells from 5-25lbs. I started getting to work by 6am and doing the MARSOC short card (except for the max chin ups b/c there is not chin up bar) twice a week (Tues/Thurs) then riding my mountain bike on either Sat or Sun. Last week I moved up to doing the original P90 dvd doing resistance training followed by the ab ripper (10 exercises/10 reps each). Yesterday I did the 40 mins of legs and back dvd for P90X plus the ab ripper workout. It was a slow process getting up to the number of reps for the MARSOC but I got there. I didn't even consider attempting to do the long card.

The funny thing is I have the discipline to workout but where I really struggle is with my eating habits. I love food but I know working out alone won't cut. I've dropped 7 lbs so far but I need to drop another 51 lbs. I am looking to dropping about 1 lb per week over the next year. Again, the real discipline for me is changing my eating habits.

610Alpha
11-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Two months ago my employer opened a workout room on the first floor of our building. It's not much to talk about. Two ellipticals, 3 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, and 2 weight racks with dumbbells from 5-25lbs. I started getting to work by 6am and doing the MARSOC short card (except for the max chin ups b/c there is not chin up bar) twice a week (Tues/Thurs) then riding my mountain bike on either Sat or Sun. Last week I moved up to doing the original P90 dvd doing resistance training followed by the ab ripper (10 exercises/10 reps each). Yesterday I did the 40 mins of legs and back dvd for P90X plus the ab ripper workout. It was a slow process getting up to the number of reps for the MARSOC but I got there. I didn't even consider attempting to do the long card.

The funny thing is I have the discipline to workout but where I really struggle is with my eating habits. I love food but I know working out alone won't cut. I've dropped 7 lbs so far but I need to drop another 51 lbs. I am looking to dropping about 1 lb per week over the next year. Again, the real discipline for me is changing my eating habits.

Yeah the eating part is hard. I have cut out almost all grains, my weak spot is breakfast. I get up at 4 and don't want to make a bunch of noise fixing breakfast so I end up eating a bowl of cereal. No more pasta, rarely eat breads, I started feeling bloated so I cut them out.

Stuffed peppers, chicken broccoli casserole, spinach lasagna...i still have my moments but not like i used to. So far 10 lbs lost. Pants are definitely looser.

Good luck and keep at it.

Tackleberry
11-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Down 10 lbs? Nice job! I have cut down on pastas & breads too. The big hit was cutting way back on potatoes. I read a well cited article that was not in favor of potatoes in the diet. That kinda goes against my Irish ancestry.....thankfully, I am only 1/8th Irish.

Good luck with the weight loss!

xdpatriot
11-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Awesome! Keep it up guys. Remember as well the '6 month' plague. A lot of people will start something and ditch it after six months. Notice it when you hit it, push through and keep going! You'll never regret a workout, except the one you don't do...