PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this?

Lowdown3
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
http://www.floridafirearmstraining.com/Bug_Out.html

Patriotic Sheepdog
04-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Had not heard of that....

Rmplstlskn
04-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Big task for only two days and one night...

Watching the video, I guess the SCENARIO that caused the bug out would come into play, but having a big fire at night would not seem wise to me... Then it doesn't help that when they hear a "bump in the night" the main protector has his firearm disassembled...

It didn't sell me on SKILLS learned, as I didn't see anything in the video outside the DUH level...

But I am glad they are offering it... More the merrier.

Rmpl

Lowdown3
04-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Had not looked at the videos, will do so.

RobertJ
04-14-2015, 10:33 PM
$400.00 and no live fire/ no live ammo allowed? would really have to talk to some people who took the class and get both a positive and negative feedbacks. Watched videos and had similar concerns.

Not 100% sure if this is the facility a fellow employee went to for a fighting pistol class (texted him but no reply as of yet), but at the start of the class the instructor has each student point a loaded (one in chamber) pistol at each other to ram home the idea its not natural to point a loaded firearm at another human being. Several people dropped the class then and there. I would have been one of them. If I'm at a class with 10-15 other people I have never met and do not know their weapon proficiency?... heck no they are not pointing a gun at me...
here's something Mr instructor how bout you have that student point the pistol at you?

protus
04-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Seen it posted on arf last year iirc. Theres another trainer north of here that puts on bug out class as well. One of them basically has them camping ...no live fire etc. Be like having a bug out class at fore lake.
Hmmmmmm....wait a minute .....$$$$$ ��

Lowdown3
04-15-2015, 08:44 AM
$400.00 and no live fire/ no live ammo allowed? would really have to talk to some people who took the class and get both a positive and negative feedbacks. Watched videos and had similar concerns.

Not 100% sure if this is the facility a fellow employee went to for a fighting pistol class (texted him but no reply as of yet), but at the start of the class the instructor has each student point a loaded (one in chamber) pistol at each other to ram home the idea its not natural to point a loaded firearm at another human being. Several people dropped the class then and there. I would have been one of them. If I'm at a class with 10-15 other people I have never met and do not know their weapon proficiency?... heck no they are not pointing a gun at me...
here's something Mr instructor how bout you have that student point the pistol at you?

Wow! And I remember a well known well respected place in Ohio getting a lot of crap about using double checked empty pistols at their Extreme CQB class. I NEVER felt unsafe there at any point in time but to hear others discuss it- who were NOT there- you would think we were dodging bullets by the minute.

Adding realism to the training? Sure TO A POINT and with PEOPLE YOU KNOW. And no, not THAT way.

Not to sound elitist but probably half of the people I see in training classes I would AVOID shooting with or around after the class. If their is a firing line, I always try to get to the right hand side of it early on.

Most shooters believe they are more proficient and confident in their skills than they should feel. Their is ALWAYS room for more training, more practice and more improvement. And no just going to "Mr. X" skewl isn't the end up be all. Explore the big wide world, don't worship instructors, some of the laziest, sloppiest looking instructors have been the best instructors IME.

Hawkeye
04-16-2015, 11:09 AM
I had a similar idea back in 2011. I passed it on to my friend/instructor Russ Adler. He put together is D.I.R.E series of classes, the first of which I helped him put on back in April of 2012. A couple of observation points.... The first glaring (potential) issue to me, is the prerequisites... or in this case, a lack thereof. Even with the prerequisites that Russ had in place for the first class, we still had issues with people, even had to pull some from the live fire portions...and they were fairly tame drills at that. The fact that this class doesn't have ANY prereq's, would make me very leery. You have to have very good weapons handling skills to safely do this stuff effectively. Participants should have prior carbine and handgun classes under their belts, if live fire is going to be part of the class.

Additionally, what I found is, you have to be pretty broad with this type of class. The event/situation will dictate MUCH of what you do and how you do it. Thus, Russ keeps things pretty generic with his series, going over different skills, topics, and drills that can be applied across a broad range of situations.

Hawkeye
04-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Effective security/bug out type classes can be done with zero live fire. I've got a couple of ideas that I'm working on myself to potentially offer one day. It wont be $400 though...... Honestly, most of this type of training is better done dry. Specific classes for handling, manipulation, accuracy, etc.. can and should be taken separately in my opinion.

protus
04-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Most can survive a day of semi static range time than 8 hours under thier ruck.
Anyone thats done any ruck time can figure that out. Theres a good reason i dont host summer hikes anymore......
I think "bug out " themed courses have merit but imho it aint "sexy" if theres no shooting....and thats where the money comes from...sexy sells....tired...almost to the verge of barfing...blisters and getting eaten. Alive by mosquittos is far from "sexy"fl for 95% of the market ymmv.

Lowdown3
04-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Big task for only two days and one night...

Watching the video, I guess the SCENARIO that caused the bug out would come into play, but having a big fire at night would not seem wise to me... Then it doesn't help that when they hear a "bump in the night" the main protector has his firearm disassembled...

It didn't sell me on SKILLS learned, as I didn't see anything in the video outside the DUH level...

But I am glad they are offering it... More the merrier.

Rmpl

I think the plastic babydoll over the shoulder of the woman staring into the fire was watching their six.

Patriotic Sheepdog
04-17-2015, 10:04 AM
I think the plastic babydoll over the shoulder of the woman staring into the fire was watching their six.

Now that made me laugh....thanks for the morning chuckle LD3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RobertJ
04-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Earl replied to my text. It was not this class, but Rather one in Titusville he took.

protus
04-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Now that made me laugh....thanks for the morning chuckle LD3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is why lowdown can't pull recon.....:that baby was real....it moved its head twice I saw on the campfire scene....unless dolls have gotten fancier...
But least the babies head was on a swivel ...(ill be here all week....tip the bartender.) ..... LOL

Hawkeye
04-18-2015, 11:18 AM
I like you, but dude.....don't quit the day job. :D Just sayin.......

protus
04-18-2015, 06:52 PM
I like you, but dude.....don't quit the day job. :D Just sayin.......

Lol hey im just moon lighting for now .... lol