PDA

View Full Version : Why "Apocalypse"?

All Talk
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I know I'm just being a noodge here, but apocalpyse is just Greek for "revelation", i.e. the revealing of a hidden truth. It has no meaning of catastrophe, disaster, or war, per se (many writings from around the Gospel-writing period were called "apocalyspes", not all of which were concerned specifically with end-times).

Isn't the TEOWAKI scenario more closely alluded to with a term like Armageddon (an end-times battle that is the ultimate TEOWAKI event)?

I know I am being pendandtic here, but I'm really just trying to have a conversation. Perhaps some readers believe that the potential TEOWAKI event in our near future is indeed part of the specific end times described in Revelation; however, many others, inclusing devout believers, can imagine TEOWAKI scenarios that are not in themselves the events foretold in Revelation.

I think, for example, the Romano-British inhabitants of Britannia around A.D. 500 believed that their TEOWAKI (for it certainly was that) of Germanic invasions was the start of bibilical end times, but we can see today that it wasn't.

How many of us believe that the next TEOWAKI must needs be Biblical end times? If not many, then why do we use the term "apocalyptic"?

Comments, flames, twists or corrections, anyone, in the spirit of conversation?

1Admin
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I think it's usually used in more the general sense than the specifics of THE apocalypse.

Just like some will say "the S hit the fan" at such and such place but then you read that the power was still on, people were going out for pizza and beer, etc. That's not exactly how most people picture "TSHTF."

To some, a localized problem might be "TS" hitting TF, to others it might mean a REAL disruption of life.

I guess I think of putting survival plans in motion when I hear "TSHTF" not going out for beer and pizza.

Matt In Oklahoma
10-13-2010, 05:35 PM
TEOWAKI is not the same as apocolypse for me. The Bible Apocolypse to me means all the bullets, beans and bandaids aint gonna mean nothing. IMHO

godisnum1
11-06-2010, 02:26 AM
TEOWAKI is not the same as apocolypse for me. The Bible Apocolypse to me means all the bullets, beans and bandaids aint gonna mean nothing. IMHO

This...

Bran <><

Rmplstlskn
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
First, it is TEOTWAWKI... Just like the REM song.

Secondly, words change over time, just as GAY no longer means GAY, if you know what I mean...

Thirdly, there are LEGAL PREREQUISITES that MUST be met before the Messiah can come back. At no time in human history could these prerequisites be met. Only now do we have the possible structures in place for those prerequisites to be met, but some are still unfulfilled...

But discussing these legal prerequistes are lengthy and involved... All I can say is that unless ALL variables are fulfilled, there will be no return, no seeing Messiah crack open the heavens on his return trip... To do so would be voiding His own Word...

Rmpl