PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight, living on less, etc.

Lowdown3
10-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Many of us are currently or could benefit from the loss of a few extra lbs.

This was brought home to me recently at a training class with a certain instructor who is known for the conditioning aspects of his seminars. A year ago with him doing similar conditioning I was sucking hind teat as the saying goes. This time around the results were almost a full 180. I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I'm almost 30 lbs. lighter now.

Also I've been cutting weight this month in preparation for an upcoming competition.

Now before anyone posts the "you can't do that for long, you'll die" type stuff understand that I have no health problems (praise the Lord) that would preclude this type of activity. I have no heart issues, I don't have diabetes, etc. I've done this sort of thing before, it's just been a long time since I did.

So I've dropped pretty close to 10 lbs. this calendar month. Was 215 the start of the month and this morning it was 207.6 and most likely will be at 205 by Monday.

I wanted to basically have a little experiment in "living on less" for a month or more to see what effects it had on my energy levels, my body in general, etc.

I have made no changes to daily routines, workout schedules, etc. I'm not sitting under a tree all day long doing nothing but taking in 1,000 calories.

Three days a week we do martial arts for 2 1/2 hours including 30 minutes or more of sparring. Three days a week we run a mile after doing a workout. There is always some physical work around the homestead intermixed between this and normal life activities.

I've been subsisting on 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day during this month. I've seen this amount of calories called a "starvation diet." I've seen people say you couldn't do "any" physical labor off of this amount.

Now, this MIGHT be true for some Barney Fife skinny dude with no reserves. However from meeting thousands of survivalists over the years, I can tell you that their ain't many folks like that in the movement ;)

Yes, right now, I'm burning reserves, but hey that was the plan after all :)

I'm not arguing or trying to prove that you could live just fine off of 1,000 calories with a lot of physical activity for years, please understand that. Could it be done for a few months? I would guess yes if the person is starting with some "reserves" to burn through. OR if the physical activity is lessened.

I'm not sure the latter is an option in a SHTF situation. Unless your talking about spending a couple weeks or a month in a shelter avoiding fallout.

Your body does get used to living on less and you do crave food less. Energy levels haven't been ever to the point where I "couldn't" workout or spar, but I have had an energy drink on sparing days once or twice ;) Nothing that coffee wouldn't do, but I can't stand coffee without a lot of cream and sugar which = empty calories.

Obviously no one show start any diet without consulting their physician, blah blah blah liability statement.... However I think it's important for each of us to know what our body can and can't do under limited caloric intake. If your looking to drop some lbs. it's a perfect time to figure that out also.

We can KNOW, or we can THINK we know. If possible, we ought to all know for sure ahead of time. While you might have mountains of food storage, understand that you can lose ANYTHING that's tangible.

Lowdown3

protus
10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
the 1k to 1500 cal a day mark was how i lost what i did year or so back.

losing the lbs makes a major difference in everything...as does just being in shape and not just losing the wieght...
good post LD.

monkeybird
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
If the economy get any worse and grocery prices keep going up we will all be living on less calories.

Rmplstlskn
10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Arrrgghhhhh! I did not read this post... I am not here... Back to my dinner and too lazy of a lifestyle...

But I know I need to get serious once again about this, as it does get HARDER with age. The weight I lost at 33 was EASY compared to what I have to do at 44... Bah Humbug!

Rmpl

groovy mike
10-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for sharing the results. yep, we all need it. It would do us all good. Every body system benefits.

Lowdown3
10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I know what you mean about age Rmpl, last time I did this I was about 19, almost 20 years ago.

FWIW folks, I was more wanting to comment on the "we can live on less caloric intake" more than the "toot my horn I lost some weight" deal. I always read these "you HAVE to have 3,000 calories a day just to live" type posts wherein someone says you could never live off rice and beans, blah blah blah and I just smile, knowing that my son has been raised on that for 10 years and is healthy, lean and strong as a horse.

Lowdown3
10-29-2010, 04:37 PM
204.6 this a.m.

Caloric intake has been in the 1,000 to 1,500 range. Training days (most) I've had a zero or 20 calorie energy drink. Haven't had coffee in about a month now. I'm gonna shoot for 195 which I haven't seen since around age 20.... I'm sure their will be some more I could lose from there, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Energy levels are the same. Food "cravings" are pretty much gone. Although when you go up till 4:30pm with less than 300 calories, you really do look forward to something for dinner, especially after running and a workout.

Rmplstlskn
10-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Great work! You motivate the rest of us to do it...

Bearman202
10-30-2010, 07:00 AM
I got the news from my Dr.: Either lose some weight or become a full-blown diabetic. I looked around and chose the South Beach diet. Basically, it's a low-carb diet that emphasized that you do NOT let yourself get hungry. When you're hungry, you tend to make bad food choices. Anyway, on that I lost 55 pounds. I went from 265 to 210 in a little over two months. That did NOT get me into shape, it just made it possible to consider the possibility. The goal here is to get into some kind of decent physical condition WITHOUT the major coronary in the process.... They probably have the South Beach book at your local library. The first two chapters describe the diet, the rest of the book is recipes that you probably won't use. Again, it's super simple, and it worked for me.

It works by making your food work for you, instead of going straight to fat. With it, it's not about how much you eat, it's about what you eat. You can get as many calories as it takes to keep you satisfied, it's just that those calories work for you. One of the things that you cut out is sugar. I did that for the two months, and you would not believe the result. After those two months, I ate something with a little sugar in it, and it tasted just flat NASTY! Makes you think, don't it?

eeyore
10-30-2010, 07:17 AM
It does make a big difference on what type of calories they are also. If the calories come from all sugar, then it not good. Eatting the right kind of diet makes a big difference.

1Admin
10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Yep, good points all.

Lowdown3
11-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Broke the 2 bills mark yesterday and 198 today. I was telling another forum member, I think the last time I was sub 200 I was about 20 years old!

monkeybird
11-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Congratulations! I admire your willpower.

Klayton
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
WOW wtg lowdown3

groovy mike
11-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Broke the 2 bills mark yesterday and 198 today. I was telling another forum member, I think the last time I was sub 200 I was about 20 years old!

Well done!

Lowdown3
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
195 and hopefully still dropping. Next weight class down is 189 which would likely be my extreme low end. I would likely be a BIIIGG person in that weight class.

monkeybird
11-25-2010, 08:34 AM
We need a before and after picture!

Lowdown3
12-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Been sitting at 191 for a week and half or so. Wife said I probably hit a "plateau." Have been eating out more on the weekends, Christmas get together's, etc. Gonna train pretty much all week next week, so hopefully I can beat this invisible barrier LOL I've adjusted it down twice already (210 and then 195) but my new goal is to see 189 by the end of the year.

The "cravings" for a large amount of food have pretty much ended, still averaging around 1,500 calories a day, including training days. Some days it's around 1,200 and sometimes it's over 1,500 Any less than about 500 by dinner time and I can tell a difference- slightly tired but still able to do work. Resting pulse remains between 50 and 55, BP rates have gone down slightly more though I only check that once or twice a week.

I saw an old video we did in 07, that was further motivation to continue down, WOW! I had to be 50 lbs. heavier than what I am now. Ouch....

I'm thinking that in a couple months I will get a complete physical and blood work. This ought to show any hidden complications with keeping calories around 1,500 a day.

Now more than ever I believe people could live off of 1,500 calories a day if they had to. While we probably shouldn't PLAN that way, it does mean in a pinch with some determination you could stretch your food storage a little further if need be.

biathlon
12-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Get this book and then rid your house of all the dogffod, crap and s@#t most Americans try to live on.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS404&&sa=X&ei=LosLTbSrKcX7lwf5p6zADA&sqi=2&ved=0CBIQBSgA&q=ori+hofmekler&spell=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85
I'm 55 and ski circles around folks half my age. Flesh is DOGFOOD! You don't need it! Game meats will certainly be a large part of my TEOTWAKI diet but right now I do not eat anything with a face on it. Most Americans believe they will die if they don't eat meat 3 times a day. The crap sold in supermarkets is so full of fats, chemicals and dyes it doesn't even come close to what our ancestors ate.

Grain and beef production in this country has absolutly NOTHING to do with feeding people. The entire system is designed to make the commodities brokers rich! Commerciall factory farmed poultry, pork, beef and lamb are death food.

Lowdown3
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Couldn't agree more Biathlon. We eat very little meat to begin with. Certainly not the common "one big slab o' meat" per meal. One rabbit feeds our family of three 2-3 meals.

Broke my "plateau" this morning and tipped the scales at 189.2 Other than being sore from training a little too much this week, I feel great.

Matt In Oklahoma
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Broke my "plateau" this morning and tipped the scales at 189.2 Other than being sore from training a little too much this week, I feel great.
CONGRATS!!!

Lowdown3
01-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Made it to where I needed to be at- 179. Other than being sick this last week and at the campout (flu going around up here bigtime, the whole family had it), I feel great.

Folks if I can do it, ANYONE can do it. It doesn't really "hurt" like you might think it does. I really only "craved" more food early on and then about once a week I'd crave a "big meal." Still averaging 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day and still doing the same workout, fight training, etc.

Spock
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Made it to where I needed to be at- 179. Other than being sick this last week and at the campout (flu going around up here bigtime, the whole family had it), I feel great.

Folks if I can do it, ANYONE can do it. It doesn't really "hurt" like you might think it does. I really only "craved" more food early on and then about once a week I'd crave a "big meal." Still averaging 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day and still doing the same workout, fight training, etc.

11 days ago i virtually quit drinking soda. I've only had soda 4 times in the last 11 days and only on one of those days did I drink it to the amount I had in the past. I have found a plethora of no calorie and low calorie (10-20 cal per 8 ounce serving) drinks and drink mixes that are too my liking. municipal tap water tastes like the hind of a skunk around here.

4C makes 2 lemonades, a tea, and a fruit punch that are zero calorie and zero aspartame (i;m allergic to aspartame)
http://www.4cstore.com/products/powder_drink_tubs

they run about $3 each at walmart taste like they are sweeted with sugar and are zero cal. 7 tubs to a container and each tub make 1/2 gallon. its cheaper than even the cheapest soda.

another one I've been drinking is light Hawaiian fruit punch. just 10 calories a serving

Gatorade's glacier freeze is now available in low cal too. its 80 calories for a 32 ounce bottle thats just 1/4 of the normal Gatorade.

i had been down last year to the 206-209 area working a job that had me on my feet all and running about alot. since then I ballooned back up to 222 and now with couch to 5k and these low cal drinks I'm down to 218 in 3 weeks.

I'd like to get down to 185-195 range. that was where I was happiest with my weight.

kilowhiskey
05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
1,200 calories? Sure, it can be done. People all over the world survive on that every day, year after year, all while working every day too. We Americans are overfed and can do well (probably better) on much less than "recommended."

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while now. With the way things are going, there may be no other choice. Besides getting healthier, eating less means that I have more money available for preps. My stored food lasts longer too!

I actually cut my intake of food and drinks on May 20, eating much healthier and drinking lots of water. Result: 5lb loss in 10 days. While I'm not monitoring my caloric intake, I know I'm eating less. Now to get back to training and we'll see where it goes.

-KW

trkarl
06-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Well i never thought I would be trying to lose weight. I was skinny 95 lb runt in HS. I remember lift weights and drinking lots of weight gainer to get bigger. I ran varsity cross country and could do the 3.1 miles in between 17 - 18 minutes. Fast forward to last year and tipping the scale at 189 - 190. I never thought that would happen. Well high bp runs in both my parents and mine started creeping up.

I had figured I got enough exercise because I run a lawn service and cut between 60 - 70 lawns a week by myself. Apparently that is not enough. I have run off and on over the years with no problems until about 2 months ago when I started again to get in shape. The tendons on the inside of my knees decided running is no longer for me LOL!!

So I told DW we are going to get real mountain bikes and exercise with them. I found out I love riding the bike. I also drink almost nothing but water with a little lemon anymore. I have virtually cut out all sweets and most red meat. Also anything with transfats is avoided like the plague and cook most everything at home anymore. I have also cut my portion sizes way down. We definitely eat way too much.

I am now tipping the scale in my birthday suit at about 162. Being thin boned and 6 feet tall that is pretty good. At least my 33-34 inch pants now fit loosely and need a belt.For me it's all a part of self discipline. It is just so easy grab a couple of cookies before bed or sit and munch while at the computer but no more.

I also bought a light pair of dumbbells to do exercises with. No more heavy lifting. Just lots of slow steady reps to build up endurance.

One of my favorite things to eat anymore is to take 2 tbs yogurt and mix in 2 or 3 tbs rolled oats and 1 tbs of either Barlean's flax seed oil or Udo's 3-6-9 oil for the omega 3s. It's not much but it kills the hunger and food cravings for a long time.

trkarl
06-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Do any of you jump rope a lot for training? If so is it considered a high impact exercise like running?

Matt In Oklahoma
06-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Do any of you jump rope a lot for training? If so is it considered a high impact exercise like running?
High impact on the knees if thats an issue

Sunshine
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I jump rope daily. It's a great way to get your heart rate up. It depends on how you jump rope if its high impact or not. Let me explain: If you jump rope like a school girl (no offense to anyone who jumps like this) it's high impact, your feet come up higher and slam to the ground. Which is hard on the knees and ankles. I jump rope like a boxer. Your feet stay closer to the ground so less impact. I have patella alta, a genetic knee disorder so I have bad knees. I also dislocated my knee a few months ago (doing a round house kick on a bag) and am still recovering. The 'boxer' style of jumping is tricky. When you begin learning how to do it, start off without a rope. Just go through the motions. Otherwise you'll probably score some nice big whelps on your arms from the rope. Also, if your worried about your ankles or have arch problems in your feet, wear shoes when jump roping. If you can, jump rope on a cushion surface. I do most of my exercises in the karate studio and my home dojo which has padded floors, less impact.
If an exercise is too hard on your body, remember to modify. Just keep exercising!!! It's good for the mind and body!!!!!!!

Spock
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
i was 217 this morning. not bad since i went on a calorie binge last weekend.

barfife
06-08-2011, 09:11 PM

In 2009, I was able to lose 52 lbs in 7.5 months on 1500 calories/day plus daily exercise. Two years later, I have put on 11 pounds (I eat when stressed) and are now working to get it back off.

Sorcerer
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
In 2009 I had 2 heart attacks 6 months apart, after the second one I had a quad by-pass, weight 301 lbs at 73 inches. After dieting and starting a good exercise plan I now weight a whopping 203 and wear a size 32 pants. Yeah it can be done it takes will power and determination.

Lowdown3
07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Congrats Sorcerer!

Boy reading this old thread was interesting! I've been holding to the 175-178 range for months now.

Lowest I got was 171 back in April or so. Highest I've been was 178.

Starting eating more protein and doing more strength training beginning in March after I got the weight where I wanted it to be.

Coming up on six months and still keeping it off. My stand up and ground game has gotten a good bit better since I'm more agile and seem to be able to move faster.