PDA

View Full Version : 7 minutes 170 BPM

Lowdown3
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
So the wife got this neat little watch that reads your pulse, estimates your calorie usage, etc. I rarely wear a watch so it's rare for me to "time" myself while running, working out, etc.

Wearing her watch (thanks hun ;) the last couple of days has helped me see whereabouts my heart rate is during various periods of exercise, rest, etc.

My resting pulse rate averages around 55 with the lowest reading being 52 and the "norm" being around 55 beats per minute.

Exercising I found that after about 3 minutes of holding the knuckle pushup position my heart rate was up to 130! Who knew what seemed like a non cardio exercise could bump your heart rate this much?

Just playing around on the mats the other day doing forward rolls, dropping into modified prone position, backwards rolls, etc. had my heart rate up to 120.

Did my normal Friday workout this afternoon (had to work Friday :( ) and I wore the watch again. Ran a mile in 7 minutes and had a pulse rate of 170 BPM at the end of the run. The watch showed that was 89% of I guess my peak?? heart rate? Course the settings on the watch are set for my wife who is shorter, lighter and younger. :cool:

It's a good thing to know your pulse rate as well as your BP for resting, normal activities and strenuous activities. Might be helpful in medical diagnosing and dealing with stress later also.

The watch is called a "heart rate monitor" IIRC and was about $40. in the sporting goods section of Walmart.

I guess I'll have to buy my own cause we can't share one when we run together :)

Hawkeye
11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Might have to pick one of these up.

Klayton
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Good call on the 89% is for Max Heart Rate. But unless the watch allows you to program your age, its just an estimate. AND, some experts will say even with doing the age calculator it is still an estimate, as it misses weight status + past heart issues + use of caffeine and/or nicotine + etc etc...

If I remember correctly from my school years, 80% is the goal for a cardio workout (maintained for 20 minutes), and 60-70% is fat loss... but then again like I said, been a long time since I have been in school. :)

protus
11-22-2010, 08:03 AM
klayton.. 80% for cardio and 60-70% for fat burn is kinda the norm still.
aerobic is the 85-89% mark.

mine would avg around 145-150 when jogging.Resting is around the 65-66 mark rested and lowest was 62.

like BP its all relaitive i guess....

i thought about getting one of those watch deals before i got hurt...may need to get one once i get healed up.

Lowdown3
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm sure I'll end up getting one, then I can do a decent review after using it for a month or so.

It's hard to keep it on and spar though- I'd really like to compare heart rate of that to running. My guess from my respirations is that it would be lower but not considerably.