FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned
    Outside of the terrible city of Philadelphia.
    I would rather think that food should be in mylar bags as protection more than buckets. I mean a bucket is a good thing to have but I would think it's not that important. Just as long as they can last.

Blog Entries
    Food should be in mylar bags and should also be in a bucket (some might say that a metal trash can is even better). The bag won't prevent a rodent from chewing through it and getting into your food. It will take a lot longer to get thru a bucket.

This post was mainly to clarify what constitutes a bucket "food grade", it has to do with the extrusion process of the plastic. If it stored food in it before, if you got it from a bakery, then you are pretty well G2G. If you get them from somewhere for free, clean them out real good. Use common sense, this is your families food that you will be storing in these buckets. If you want more details ask away.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

Seasoned
    Outside of the terrible city of Philadelphia.
    Quote Originally Posted by elittle View Post
    Food should be in mylar bags and should also be in a bucket (some might say that a metal trash can is even better). The bag won't prevent a rodent from chewing through it and getting into your food. It will take a lot longer to get thru a bucket.

This post was mainly to clarify what constitutes a bucket "food grade", it has to do with the extrusion process of the plastic. If it stored food in it before, if you got it from a bakery, then you are pretty well G2G. If you get them from somewhere for free, clean them out real good. Use common sense, this is your families food that you will be storing in these buckets. If you want more details ask away.

Good point, I am actually placing a lot of my foods in their own rubber maid containers. Since I started with 1 gallon bags I thought it would be good to place as many as I could in one container. This way the container could be a BUG OUT box or something.

2682- Only problem I've had with those containers is that OVER TIME they do fall apart. Not in a year, six months or anything like that. But over time, freezing cycles, if their is any UV light exposed to it, etc.

Also considering you mentioned "bug out" in that combination- you'll find those bigger boxes harder to move and course you'll need two hands to move them. (duh right?) The point being that with a bucket you can carry it one handed and have your other hand free to access a weapon, talk on a phone or comms, CARRY A YOUNG CHILD, etc.

IME, a decent sealed bucket is more of a weatherproof enclosure than a rubbermaid container.

Also, if you really look around, buckets should be very cheap $1. each or perhaps free. Hard to find free rubbermaid containers. Even the standard size ones now run almost $10. a pop.

Just some considerations for you.

For what it's worth, the National Terror Alert website states that all containers marked HDPE with a 2 are FDA food grade. I don't know their expertise. I know JWR states that this is not true.
    Is anyone familiar with National Terror Alert?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buttebob View Post
    For what it's worth, the National Terror Alert website states that all containers marked HDPE with a 2 are FDA food grade. I don't know their expertise. I know JWR states that this is not true.
    Is anyone familiar with National Terror Alert?
    hdpe , containers are approved by the FDA as suitable for holding food items.

I see my self making phone calls and emails like i did to walton,OFD etc during the "D.E wars" LOL.

there is to much internet myth( BS) floating around about HDPE plastics .....
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Blog Entries
    I made this post only to clarify that technically speaking its the extrusion process but like Protus and Lowdown3 have pointed out numerous times a HDPE - 2 bucket will suffice (use common sense don't put food in a bucket that stored some nasty chemical in it) and if the bucket used to store food in it and is washed out it will store food for you cause like it stored food in it duh.

@Protus & Lowdown3 - please edit this post so that it is locked.
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

Gotta tell you, I bought a bunch of HDPE2 buckets and thought they were fine. Opened them up yesterday to seal up the mylar bags (haven't done it yet) and man, you could smell some nasty chemical funkiness. Just hoping it hasn't effected the food. My next batch I'll try HD buckets, and for sure, I'll be sealing the mylar that day.

Hey, I just found some FDA approved buckets for $2.97cdn at Home Hardware, haven't seen them lower anywhere. How many should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
    Hey, I just found some FDA approved buckets for $2.97cdn at Home Hardware, haven't seen them lower anywhere. How many should I buy?
    As many as you can still afford to buy food to put in IMHO> Don't buy a bunch of empty buckets that you can't afford to buy food, mylar etc for. again just my opinion
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence