DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BeckyinTX
    Just wanted to give a big thank you to those who took the time to give the information in this thread! I just ordered my supplies to properly store my beans, rice, & sugar. We have A LOT of long term storage food stored in jars because I wasn't sure how to package them correctly. (Yes, I'm one of THOSE people!!) I can't wait to get this stuff put up as it is taking over our storage space. Thank ya'll!!!!

That's pretty much what I got as well.
    I'll add what I got for the rest.
    Milk - I actually packed this 3 lbs in mylar
    Wheat - 30 pounds
    Instant oats - 17lbs (could have gotten more.. 50lbs went into 3 buckets with room to spare)

I have bought a food sealer, I've been using food sealer bags and vacuum sealing. Is this not a good way for long time storage?

@jimmydiablo: it is a good way to store items for long term storage. HOWEVER, the method used in this forum (and many many others) is to also use mylar. Why? food sealer bags are pretty much transparent so you can see what is in them, problem is that means light is getting inside the bag to the product (yes there are some exceptions). Light breaks down EVERYTHING over time. Leave a home depot 5 gallon bucket outside in direct sunlight, and with 3 years you can snap pieces of the bucket off between two fingers.

I also have a food sealer, and use it on my beans and rice when I get small quantities on sale. But I put them then into a bucket and then into a dark room. Now I can afford mylar for everything, so bulk items go in mylar (+O2 absorber)>bucket>dark room. Smaller loads go into food saver>mylar (+O2 absorber-overkill-maybe)>bucket>dark room.

Hope this helps jimmydiablo and welcome to the forum.

Thanks, what I have been doing is sealing the bags. Then putting them in a bucket and in my walk in closet and corner of my room.

The part a lot of people miss is that you don't NEED a "foodsaver" type device for sealing mylar or putting food up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    The part a lot of people miss is that you don't NEED a "foodsaver" type device for sealing mylar or putting food up.
    It had many uses. Steaks in freezer, protecting camp gear etc..

2011 Site Supporter, Thread Contest winner
    I use my Food Saver regularly. However, I never use it in place of mylar and O2, the Food Saver bags puncture much too easily. They will rupture with any hard dry food, like pasta. I do use the Food Saver bags to separate types of food that I put into the same mylar bag.

For example, I bought beans over a period of time. Every time I went to the grocery store, I bought a bag of beans - different varieties. When I had a bucket full, I first packaged them into food saver bags, them put the various bags in the Mylar and processed.

I do use it for all kinds of short term storage.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybird View Post
    I use my Food Saver regularly. However, I never use it in place of mylar and O2, the Food Saver bags puncture much too easily. They will rupture with any hard dry food, like pasta. I do use the Food Saver bags to separate types of food that I put into the same mylar bag.

For example, I bought beans over a period of time. Every time I went to the grocery store, I bought a bag of beans - different varieties. When I had a bucket full, I first packaged them into food saver bags, them put the various bags in the Mylar and processed.

I do use it for all kinds of short term storage.
    That is a awesome idea. I have had a couple out of maybe 200 with beans (pinto) that gained a leak, but that's it. I do like your idea

I have a question. I filled my first mylar bags the other day. 3.5 mil. with beans, oats, and things fo the sort. I put a 300cc o2 absorber in each bag and doubled sealed it with my food savor. The question I have is based on observation, the oats have started the o2 absortion quite well but the beans are taking longer? How long should it take? I live in phoenix az, they are in my room at with the air conditioner set at a constant 75 degrees right now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.