DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Where can I purchase bulk dehydrated eggs, milk and potatoes. I never seem to find them in our stores.

When we had the cannery, dehydrated milk came in 2,000 lb. "totes." That was a huge bag on a pallet.

Everyone that worked for me hated to see pallets of milk come in. It meant that we had to stop everything else we were doing and can milk non stop till it was all gone. You had to or you risked losing a high dollar item quickly to humidity.

And the milk powder got EVERYWHERE. Almost a half day to can a "tote" of it and it seemed like almost another half day to clean up afterwards...

Some items it is better for the DIY home packer to purchase already pre-packaged. These include: cheese powder, dehydrated eggs, milk, tomato powder, butter and margarine powder, etc. In their true dehydrated form they are all extremely hydroscopic. You can easily ruin lbs. of it easily and this is all stuff that is measured in dollars per lb. instead of like $.30 cents a lb. like rice or wheat.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Run1251 View Post
    Where can I purchase bulk dehydrated eggs, milk and potatoes. I never seem to find them in our stores.
    try our sponsor...JRH ENTERPRISES
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info!
    Liberty is not a means to a political end. It is itself the highest political end."

Wow, great info. Answers a lot of questions and does away with a lot of myths. Thank you.
    Be Prepared, Plan for the unexpected.

we don't "rotate" food as much as we should.
    (I figured i'd get the confession out of the way first!)
    ---
    we realized there was no rice in the pantry. but there was some rice in #10
    cans purchased 2008 and packed jan. 2009. in the storeroom.
    can of rice opened and cooked.
    beef tips and rice!! yahoo.
    so.. 8 years old and looked/tasted great.

Administrator
    I'm still using rice from 1990's that I vacuum-sealed in canning jars using a homemade vacuum sealer. I also had some home-dehydrated potato slices that were good after 8 years (used them up), and some cornmeal that apparently is going to last forever.

I have a question for the group.. I purchased some JRH canned cheese powder pre-y2k(1999). For a couple of years, I was unable to store it in a cool area, temps were up to 85-90 deg or so in the summer months. Damaged? If so, other uses, I.e. chicken feed, fertilizer, concrete patch?

I would definitely check it and rotate it asap. The dairy items were always slightly more sensitive.
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"