Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plastic vs. Metal fuel can

Which is better and why?

I was looking at getting some metal fuel cans until i saw the price...can you say cost prohibitive.

So where do you go to get your metal cans at an affordable price?
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

Metal cans should last longer than plastic. I got mine for a Christmas gift, and I can say I'm not too crazy about the "safety" nozzle. Takes 3 hands to pour gas. Found mine for $40 at Northerntool

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6069_200376069
    Stand next to me and you'll never stand alone.

Plastic Military ones all the way! Got some at a post closure sale once, had them for almost 16yrs now and still going strong.
    Metal ones will dent and begin to rust at the dent. The plastic ones are more throwable, yes i know we arent supposed to throw them but it happens ya know when you are on the trail and you quickly dump it and "throw" it in the bed and go, just like dropping, running over, stepping on etc etc. I can say I have had the red plastics for up to 10 yrs though so for the cost they are what I am purchasing now.
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Matt: Plastic Military? What do those look like and where to purchase?
    Stand next to me and you'll never stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
    Matt: Plastic Military? What do those look like and where to purchase?
    I'm not sure where to buy them except maybe surplus, flea markets or soemthing like that. I'm sure with the war they are contract only anymore

thumbnail.jpg
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

I concur with Matt....have a old plastic one going on 20+ years.....

2014 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Scepter is the main manufacturer of the plastic MFC fuel cans the military uses. They are very expensive new (ebay) but last a LIFETIME if you take care of them. Need to get special fuel nozzles that fit MFC's too.

I bought all of mine back when they were widely available as surplus, and could be bought for less than $10 each, but most of mine needed new caps (inner plate cracked) and VITON gaskets. There was a company that sold these parts, but they no longer sell them. Maybe ebay?

I love the MFC! They are super tough! And NO RUST!

But I also use the regular red cheapy ones for daily use and rotate out the gas in the MFC's usually yearly and refill with NO ETHANOL gas with PRI-G added. The no-ethanol gas is still available here at only TWO places. Ethanol is terrible on small engines!

Don't own any steel cans... To many rust horror stories...

Rmpl

The main reason for going with metal gas cans is not the longevity of the can but the longevity of the fuel stored in the can. If you are looking to store fuel,and have it last 2-3 years as opposed to 6 months, a metal can has benefits that plastic does not. Storing fuel is a lot like storing food. Heat, air and light all break it down and cause it to go bad. A metal can will totally block light, while a plastic can will not. A metal can provides an absolute air barrier, while a plastic can will allow air to permeate(albiet very little). Keep it in a cool place and gasoline will last several years in a metal can. A plastic can will need additives to prevent it from breaking down, and is good for maybe a year. There are people who know a lot more about it than me, but this is what I have distilled from my research.

BTW for long term storage, a 55 gallon barrel in like new condition is about $15 from the right source. I have one but I don't intend to store gasoline. I feel it is too much of a fire danger. I plan to get a diesel generator, like a slow speed listeroid, and store diesel in the barrel. Diesel will store a long time. With a pump, the fuel can be transferred from the barrel to the gas cans if you need to move it.

2014 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by californiapatriot View Post
    A metal can will totally block light, while a plastic can will not. A metal can provides an absolute air barrier, while a plastic can will allow air to permeate(albiet very little). Keep it in a cool place and gasoline will last several years in a metal can. A plastic can will need additives to prevent it from breaking down, and is good for maybe a year.
    You are correct if the plastic cans are the thin, cheap, red ones sold in all the stores... But I assure you, the thick plastic military MFC's do not let light in, nor do they leak anything if the lid and gasket are in good shape. In the summer, I have had them swell out from expansion pressures inside and they will stay like that all summer. They are TOUGH!

Rmpl

I had used the military cans for Y2K and still using the same ones.I buy mine from a guy here thats sells surplus he is get $20.00 a can and $10.00 for the nozzles.
    God Bless
    OldFarmer2