Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Handgun for small handed folks

Anyone have any recommendations on a 9mm handgun that works well for someone with very small hands? I bought a Kel Tec pf9 for my girlfriend a couple months ago and she's had a hell of a time with the recoil from it hurting her hand. She has to hold it with her hand rotated farther forward than it should be in order to reach the trigger and it ends up bruising the top of her thumb. Originally the intention was for her to be able to use it for concealed carry but we've about given up on the idea of her being able to conceal on her person. Going to have to be in her purse I think. I'm thinking along the lines of a mid size rather than compact to reduce recoil problems but that doesn't help with the grip size problem. Any ideas?

Might look at one of the many nice 380s like the Ruger LCP. My daughter has small hands and we are seriously considering the ruger SR9 or SR9C. It seems to fit her smaller hands much better than my Glocks.
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Brass Site Supporter 8/2011
    I am petite woman (5' 3") with small hands and my conceal carry gun is a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. The XD9 SC has been a great gun for me. The one thing I have had done to it is a trigger job, and have been very happy with it. As for the reliability of the Springfield, I have not put that many rounds through the XD9 SC, but I also have a Springfield XDM 9 since they first came out and have put over 2,000 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. Needless to say, I have been very happy with my Springfields. I hope this helps.

SC
    Last edited by SCinPNW; 06-10-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Transposed the letters in XDM 9, just fixing it.

I second SCinPNW's recommendation. I also use the Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact as my conceal carry. I'd consider my hands average, not small, but compared to a man's hand I suppose they would be small. It fits in my hand nicely, and the recoil does not hurt my hand. I shot a girl friend's Kel-tec P-32, (her husband bought it for her) which is smaller than my XD and it DID hurt my hand. I didn't like it at all.

Another thing to consider is racking the slide. If a woman does not have much hand/arm strength that could be an issue. (Not an issue for me with the XD-9). A good method for women to learn is pushing the pistol away from you with the hand holding it while simultaneously pulling the slide toward you. That way the strength of both hands/arms are being used not just one.

It's always a good bet to have your lady go the gun shop and hold many types of guns in her hand and try racking the slide to see what feels good in her hand and what she can manipulate.

I'm not a fan of the .380's for a couple reasons and i've kind of convinced her of the same things. Ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm and the ballistics aren't near as good. I know the old saying a little gun is better than no gun but I'f possible she'd like to carry something with a bit more *** behind it than a .380. I had a friend try shooting his LCP at a winter jacket from about 15 yards a while back. 3 of the rounds from one mag failed to penetrate the jacket. That's kind of scary. They were hollow points and after that he started carrying FMJ ammo in it with the idea it might penetrate better. I like the Springfield XD. I'll have to take her out to look at those. I'd like to find somewhere that rents handguns so she can try a few but I don't know of any places in my area that do. She's pretty strong for as small as she is so slide issues have not been a problem so far.

The M&P compact 9mm is a great shooter and perfect for the smaller handed people. If it is possible go to the shooting range and borrow or rent one to have her shot. I believe she will like it. My wife loves hers.
    When an emergency is upon you the time for preparation has past.

2011 Site Supporter, Thread Contest winner
    I carry a Ruger SP 101 357 and love it. It's fit a small hand perfectly. I got mine without the hammer. Didn't want to accidently **** it in my purse.

monkeybird, do you fire .357 through that or .38?

I also have a snub revolver, but I decided to go with .38. Do not desire to overstress my wrists (or the Mrs.) by firing .357 from such a small framed revolver...

Oh, mine is a Charter Arms U.C. Lite.

Brass Site Supporter 2011
    My wife uses the Taurus PT709 slim 9mm and likes it alot. It is even smaller than our Sig Mosquito .22
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A desire changes nothing, a decision changes some thing's, but determination changes everything.

2011 Site Supporter, Thread Contest winner
    I practice with 38s, they're cheaper. I do however shoot 357s from time to time. They are louder and have a bigger kick.