FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY gear

2015 Silver Site supporter Rmplstlskn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 610Alpha View Post
    @Protus -- what is the material you use for your tarps/shelters? I tried looking at my walmart and can't find anything that looks like that...I probably need to go to an actual fabric store.
    Most use lightweight "silnylon," which is silicone-impregnated nylon fabric. I found some at a local Jo-Ann's store, but the best source for outdoorsy nylon supplies, besides dedicated web sites, is eBay...

I doubt Walmart will have what you are looking for, that place is geared to normal clothes sewing, etc... Not Rambo gear...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

610Alpha, you can find a great deal on canvas at most paint stores. Look for drop cloths. I bought several, and they're not only huge, they good quality. I've seen the plastic tarps disolve into shreds too many times. Then again, in the midwest, even canvas can tear after a year or two. The natives that lived in this area built log cabins, rather than relying on temporary housing. If you can, do a bit of research into the way the natives lived in your area, and you can get an idea of the direction you need to go. They lived here for a lot longer than the Europeans who came later, and did the trail and error stuff for us.

(A friend bought and erected a 24' teepee. After about six months, it became obvious why most natives considered cats to be target practice. They would see the shadows of a leaf on the side of the teepee, jump up and try to grab it with their claws, and RIIIPPPPP! Not a good thing to have happen. His teepee finally dry rotted too. Way too humid for canvas to be set up on a continuing basis, and a good lesson in drying stuff out after the rain....)

Blog Entries
    Employees. I've gotten all my silver nylon and other nylons from Wally world....even 8+ yards of coyote 1000 d.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    Employees. I've gotten all my silver nylon and other nylons from Wally world....even 8+ yards of coyote 1000 d.
    Nice... Your Walmart must be more "super" than mine... Very small sewing section where I live.

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

2013 Silver Site supporter, thank you
    If you ask the ladies back in crafts alot of the time the can order material for you, aslong as its in there catalog book. Gf has had them due it a few times on different cammo prints.

For those tactical tailors out there, I just found a GREAT SITE for serious duty gear, materials, and supplies... PARAGEAR.com
    This company focuses on gear for parachuters...

I ordered some HD buckles and HD rings for some "Rigger Belts" I am making, as well as some typical plastic buckles for gear mods. They had the REAL DEAL stuff, not junk, and their prices were excellent and their shipping was super fast. Even included some cool swag.

Just wanted to pass along another company like Larue that brought a smile on my face... I will be back there...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

For those who want to know about nylon webbing & cordage... This will help immensely! It is a BIG file at 6.24MB...
    Nylon Webbing & Cordage
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Recently made a few videos about sewing nylon webbing and why an industrial walking foot sewing machine is a MUST (if you want to keep your sanity)...

Best place to find AFFORDABLE industrial sewing machines is Craigslist, as this is always LOCAL. After Craigslist is eBay, but search local auctions, as the shipping will kill the bargain, as they are very heavy. But know, one should be "comfortable" with working on mechanical machinery and figuring out how things work if you plan on buying a used machine. I would safely assume that every used industrial sewing machine will need to be tuned up and settings checked. I had to do that with mine, but like a "yesteryear" car with points ignition, once you have all the settings and timings dead on, it will PURR for you...

Thinking of doing a side business in tactical and outdoor gear modifications, and maybe some piece work for smaller tactical gear companies.... Maybe even do it full-time if the need and demand is there... Testing waters.

Some examples of modifications I have done on my gear to make it "more functional" and "more comfortable". I have yet to find any gear that is just the way I want it... It always requires me to adapt to the gear, and the gear to adapt to each other, even if a "better way" was obvious, but was not done by the manufacturer, usually to save $$$ and remain competitive...

Below is how I added PALS webbing to the back of my Tactical Tailor hydration pouch for my higher-level FAK and then added webbing and buckles to secure it to the pack so that it doesn't accidentally rip off on a branch I go under, as well as pull the hydration pouch closer to my H-harness and my neck... A good FAK is too bulky for on the chest harness or belt... Get it on the back, out of the way...

IMG_20140208_174058_601 (Medium).jpgIMG_20140208_174120_731 (Medium).jpgIMG_20140208_174453_649 (Medium).jpg

This next mod was to add some COMFORT and functionality to my Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig... First, I wish I had bought the SPLIT MAV, but I didn't, so I split my one-piece myself... Great for going prone for any length of time!

IMG_20140208_174259_175 (Medium).jpg

Then I had to fix those Tactical Tailor PAL clips from digging into my gut every time I bent over... Ouch! One of the lessons learned by actually USING my gear! So I added a 1-3/4" webbing to the bottom of the MAV... Now, it feels like fluffy cottonballs.... OK, that is a stretch, but no pain and no irritation and welt marks...

IMG_20140208_174235_882 (Medium).jpg

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 02-09-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

More examples of the nylon mods I do to make my gear a smooth operation and organized...

First pic is my GHB (Get Home Bag) I keep in my truck. Added some pouches and key lanyards so stuff I want quick access to are in a set place and near the top for easy access...

IMG_20140314_133958_704 (Medium).jpg

Second pic is of some Velcro-backed holsters I made for my IDPA Range Bag

IMG_20140314_184119_133 (Medium).jpg

Since I have no problem using an existing wheel rather than re-invent one, I often find cheap, Chinese backpacks and bags at thrift stores that have useful parts and I cut them out for use in my better quality packs and bags. When it comes to lightweight nylon, the Chinese nylon is as good as any, and they save me the time by already doing the hard cutting and sewing and I just attach it to my gear. But I rarely use the cheap plastic hardware. ITW/Nexus plastic hardware and others are quality stuff and worth the money for. I sometimes get good US Military Nexus plastics by cutting up ripped or damaged military gear I bump into...

I think sewing nylon is a good, useful hobby, even more so as things get worse...

Rmpl
    -=> Rmplstlskn <=-

Parts is parts...

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...ing-p/4076.htm

Regards,
    Templar
    Salutations,
    Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

There are very good reasons why we all are gathered here...