TRIAD Infrared Laser

Aimpoint PRO
DKX Plate Level III Armor
PVS14 Gen 3+
    Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Airways

Nasopharyngeal vs. Oropharyngeal Airways

I briefly stated in the BOK content thread that I carry Oropharyngel airways (OPA) and others stated that they carry Nasopharyngeal airways (NPA). So who is right? Well, both serve a purpose. In this thread we can discuss the pros and cons of both.

To start, both are tools to open or protect an airway. They are tools that you should always have near you as you will never know when you will need to use one. Their design is completely different and their insertion techniques are different as well. You should be trained in the insertion of both as you never know when you may be called upon to render aid to multiple patients.

As with any medical device it is imperative that you know when and when not to use them as well as being competent on how to use them. Using these at the wrong time or having improper insertion technique can cause harm and possibly death to your patient.

Let
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    great post PSD, thanks !!!
    To add to the whole "theme" of things. while i carry both in my BOK/range bag kit. Which would you carry in your IFAk or like me do you just shove both in there? Is there a it works better in this type of enviroment vs others aka medical vs battlefield setting? again great thread!
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    great post PSD, thanks !!!
    To add to the whole "theme" of things. while i carry both in my BOK/range bag kit. Which would you carry in your IFAk or like me do you just shove both in there? Is there a it works better in this type of enviroment vs others aka medical vs battlefield setting? again great thread!
    Carry both. As Patriotic Sheepdog explained the airways are for different types of paients and different types of levels of consciousness. Oral airways usually wont work on patient with some responsiveness due to the fact that they most likely will have an intact gag reflex. Nasal airways cant be used on suspected head injuries or patients with facial trauma.
    These airways aren't heavy and don't take up much room.
    Just to add a little to P.S.'s post, NEVER use a petroleum based lubricant on nasal airways. The petroleum will start to break down the latex in the airway almost immediately. Also if you are using oxygen in conjunction with the airway there is an obvious fire hazard there. Make sure you use only water soluble lubricant.

Sharpshooter and I got ours in so Grand can volunteer to let us practice now!!
    Got a question. I see how they measure them and was shown once in person by our medic but i didn't ask him, how much leeway do you have? I mean can it be an inch to long or 1/2 inch too short and still be functional?
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Post
    Sharpshooter and I got ours in so Grand can volunteer to let us practice now!!
    Got a question. I see how they measure them and was shown once in person by our medic but i didn't ask him, how much leeway do you have? I mean can it be an inch to long or 1/2 inch too short and still be functional?
    With the Nasopharyngeal a little too long is not a huge issue. With the orals though, you have to be precise. If you use the wrong size the tongue can and will move and obstruct the airway.
    Don't stress over it though, these airways are very easy to use. A little practice and you will be an expert.

One thing not mentioned. If you are using an oral airway on an infant. DO NOT do the 180 degree method. You run a high risk of damaging the soft palate, Just insert following the contour of the airway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fido View Post
    With the Nasopharyngeal a little too long is not a huge issue. With the orals though, you have to be precise. If you use the wrong size the tongue can and will move and obstruct the airway.
    Don't stress over it though, these airways are very easy to use. A little practice and you will be an expert.

One thing not mentioned. If you are using an oral airway on an infant. DO NOT do the 180 degree method. You run a high risk of damaging the soft palate, Just insert following the contour of the airway.
    Thanks, I appreciate it
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence