DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My foray into solar

As most of you know light is a force multiplier. Without lights, we are back in the pre-1900's. After TSHTF people will have batteries to last, I would say, maybe 2 weeks. After that it will be candles, oil lamps and torches. I cannot imagine how many fires there will be. Think of your flashlight as a force mulitplier. If you can light them up at a distance, you have the advantage. Also, if you have some sort of light inside your dwelling (remember light disipline) your family will have the sense of well being. Well, I told myself that this would be the year that I would not allow my family to be without lights/power. It took me longer than I had thought to put things together due to an injury and other commitments, but I now have at least the beginnings.

Now it isn't much, but it will allow me the basics...light at nite inside the dwelling, rechargeable batteries, some power to recharge batteries, computers and HAM/radios, power to run a fan or two at night to be somewhat comfortable while sleeping.

The system:
    45 watt solar panel system from Harbor Freight
    12v battery (will be looking at a marine grade battery soon)
    750 watt inverter
    Accumanager 20 battery charger - uses AC or DC
    Tenergy Low Self Discharge batteries in AA, AAA, C and D
    12v CR123 battery charger and rechargeable batteries.
    I also used an old pressure washer cart that the pressure washer went belly up a couple years ago. I guess you could say I made myself a solar generator of sorts. When not in use, it can be stored in the shed. I plan on using it a few times per month to keep the battery charged. I can also take it places if I need to. I still need to make a box for the charge controller and the inverter, but that will come soon.

The funny thing is that when I told my wife that I now have a solar sytem that is working she promptly quipped back, "wow, so you and God now both have working solar systems". Smart one she is....but I quckly replied "Pluto was kicked out of the planet group so I felt he needed a home".

Anyway here are some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Dude that is cool! On a cart, never seen that, that is cool
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I was limited by the shape of the cart. I have some other ideas, but will take time to build it out.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Keep us updated as to how it works. I'm interested in solar but limited by space and $ but this looks like something that could seriously be done by me
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Blog Entries
    Should have put costs down.
    Solar panels and charge controller and two 12v lights $170
    Inverter $50
    Accumanager 20 battery charger - I think I got it for about $50 on Amazon
    Tenergey batteries about $100 for everything, but I got several AA and AAA and a few C and D
    12v charger for CR 123 and batteries about $35

So about $400 for everything. I bought a little here and there waiting on sales and watching eBay for the batteries.

NO 10-289!

Seasoned
    Blog Entries
    Very resourceful!
    "It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

2011 Site Supporter, Thread Contest winner
    How many watts does it produce. Also, how much sunlight does your area get?

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have you been using the Tenergy Batteries? I bought some but I don't think mine are the Low Self Discharge ones but I am still very pleased with them. Nice job and thanks for sharing.
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybird View Post
    How many watts does it produce. Also, how much sunlight does your area get?
    I haven't put a meter to it yet. I get many hours of sun, but have been under rain the last couple days. I'll try and see if I can get a meter on it when the sun comes back and let you know.

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elittle View Post
    Have you been using the Tenergy Batteries? I bought some but I don't think mine are the Low Self Discharge ones but I am still very pleased with them. Nice job and thanks for sharing.
    Just got them all charged up. In fact the CR123's just came today and two are charging now. I will be putting them into devices and see how they hold up.

NO 10-289!