JRH Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storing 5-Gal Buckets

My wife and I are moving to a large city where we will be most likely renting a 600-700sq ft apartment. We're young and newly married so we don't have a ton of crap yet. We don't have a bed, couch, table, chairs, ect... So I was thinking about where to store some of our preps with the limited space that we'll have and maybe plan things out before we start accumulating stuff. Like maybe instead of getting a bed frame we could just stick a board on top of our five gallon buckets of food and then stick our mattress on top of that! Pretty clever (Or so I thought), anyway... Anyone have any ideas???

Blog Entries
    the bed deal will work.depending on bed size, you should be able to fit all of your buckets under there.(since your talking packing 18 of t hem) i think iirc 36 will fit under a king size.
    as will many others.
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

When i started out i had the tv on a 2x4 and 2 concrete blocks so 2-5 buckets aughta work for that too. She can drape a colored cloth to make it less ugly or whatever and on the bed they make them fancy things that hang down from the matress to the floor which also works for opsec, them things come into play when you get hooked up LOL so I found out rather quick by the look on her face at my perfect apt I set up in Germany after we got married and she joined me 26 yrs ago!
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Good idea ! Don't forget water storage and maybe one of those toilet kits for a 5 gal bucket. Good luck.

Yeah... Opsec for the neighbors... AND HER! haha... Good ideas. Water storage is a real pain in the arse!...

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemont View Post
    Water storage is a real pain in the arse!...
    Use the same buckets, should still have room under the bed but watch the weight on the apt floors
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

The only down side I can think of is maybe temp.... If it gets hot in the apartment in the summer, high 80's or more, may affect long term shelf life, other than that, sounds like a good use of wasted space.

If you can find a couple of buckets just a hair shorter then the others, you can move them around (slide them out then back under the bed) might make for a secure hiding spot.

Use 7 gallon buckets for the corners, and middle and other load bearing areas,,, and then the 5 Gallon ones would be freely available to slide underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by adoy View Post
    Use 7 gallon buckets for the corners, and middle and other load bearing areas,,, and then the 5 Gallon ones would be freely available to slide underneath.
    Thanks for the tip Adoy. That would work for me as well although thats gets you up pretty far off the floor with good mattress. I do they five gallon buckets under the children's beds now.

One thing i have been contemplating is pulling the couch out from the wall and building bookcase behind it, to use for storage and then put shelves above it for nick nacks, that way it appears the top of the book case is just a spacer so you don't hit your head on the sheelves, when sitting or getting up.