JRH Products
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canning My Nuts

We just canned 6- 1/2 gallon jars of Boiled Peanuts and froze 6 1 gallon zip loc bags, we completely cooked them beforehand. I am seeing that we can boil for ten min pack, add spices, pressure can and supposedly they turn out as good!!?
    Do any of you deeper south folks have any experience with this.
    I became addicted to Boiled Peanuts when we lived in FL, but I only have experience in cooking 15-20 gallons at a time for 8 to 12 hours, 3-4 adult beverages, while I "Work" at boiling them, and nibbling my way through the whole process.
    Not complaining, it's a summer ritual when I can find green Jumbos, just thought I might be able to cut the time, nibbling and (tight shot of a small tear running down cheek) a few less beverages if it was REALLY as good the all day way.
    Do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do!

Thanks for posting. I never thought about canning nuts.
    I always froze mine.

2013 GOLD Contributing Member, thank you motesjm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BioG8r View Post
    We just canned 6- 1/2 gallon jars of Boiled Peanuts and froze 6 1 gallon zip loc bags, we completely cooked them beforehand. I am seeing that we can boil for ten min pack, add spices, pressure can and supposedly they turn out as good!!?
    Do any of you deeper south folks have any experience with this.
    I became addicted to Boiled Peanuts when we lived in FL, but I only have experience in cooking 15-20 gallons at a time for 8 to 12 hours, 3-4 adult beverages, while I "Work" at boiling them, and nibbling my way through the whole process.
    Not complaining, it's a summer ritual when I can find green Jumbos, just thought I might be able to cut the time, nibbling and (tight shot of a small tear running down cheek) a few less beverages if it was REALLY as good the all day way.
    Yes, it's best not too cook them all the way before processing. If you fully cook them, then process them, the texture is mushy. You just want to make sure they are hot all the way through and then process them. The consistency is more pleasant.

Since nuts have a high oil content, what is the shelf life of canned nuts? Even sealed, wouldn't the oil become rancid within 6 months or so? I really like the idea of canning vs taking up space in the freezer if they kept a year or so.