DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PVS 14 Night Vision video and information thread

Folks ask about these a lot. Figured I'd start a thread with info about them, video and pics and answer some common questions.

Here is video from a night with little moon from a PVS14 "standard" grade, 3rd generation Pinnacle autogated unit.

One thing to keep in mind-

I don't live in suburbia or anywhere near a city- that means their is VERY LITTLE ambient light in this area in contrast to an urban or suburban area where their is a lot of "city glow" at night. Out here it's mainly just the stars and the occasional house light in the far distance as seen in the video. To even film this inside a house wouldn't be overly realistic as things like ghost loads from LED readouts on clocks, DVD players, even the little green light on your GFI outlets really puts out a LOT of light when viewed through a night vision device.

I wanted the video to show as much as possible average "SHTF" type conditions, I.e, electrical grid is down and their isn't a lot of ambient light.

I'll try to remember to take another video of a full moonlight night and a night with no moon. You all know how I am with computers and video cameras, this one took a couple "takes" as it was.

The other thing to remember is I did not use a camera coupler type device. Reason- I don't have one. Their IS items like that available if your goal is to use it with a camera. That's not my main goal I basically mashed the camera lens up to the rubber eyeguard on the PVS14. This makes for some odd shots at times during the video as the eyeguard is SUPPOSED TO BE FLEXIBLE, so when I failed to couple it together well, part of the eyeguard obscured the view in the camera. Sorry, I never claimed to be Spielberg

The nice thing about these units is how they have come down in price so much the last couple years. 5 or 6 years ago wholesale cost on these was considerably higher than what we can sell them for now! In other words, it's a good time to buy. Will prices go lower? Hard to say but probably not in the short term. Also, I've found that often times if you try to sell a product like this too cheap, some things assume it's junk. And their is a whole plethora of dealers wanting to stick to their old $1200 a unit PROFIT margin on these that have to convince you that if you don't pay $3800. for the same unit purchased from them, that you are getting ripped off.

More to come...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Blog Entries
    good movie, great info.!
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Great vid, theres not even a comparison to cheap units. Their vision is blurry and very limited visual distance.
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Super Moderator Patriotic Sheepdog's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great vid LD3. I have seen the cheaper NV on youtube, but this one is heads above what I've seen of the gen 1 and 2's. Thanks for telling us the range of things as that puts it into perspective. The Gen 1 and 2's seem to only "see" well out to maybe 50 yds and then it is real fuzzy looking.
    Protecting the sheep from the wolves that want them, their family, their money and full control of our Country!

Guns and gear are cool, but bandages stop the bleeding!

ATTENTION: No trees or animals were harmed in any way in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were really ticked off!

NO 10-289!

Blog Entries
    I will say without a doubt the PVS-14 is probably one of the most universal pieces of NV equipment to hit the market. Having used them both at home station and deployed, it works just as well through a NV capable sight (like an Aimpoint or an EOTech) and mounted to a weapon rail as it does when just used as a standalone sight.

Yeah, it's a bit more expensive than other NV sights, but at the same time, you have to pay a little more to buy quality from time to time. And something like this gives you an advantage over an adversary either not using NV or a lower rated (Gen 1 or 2) NV device. And sometimes that advantage means your life.

If someone is in the market for a NV sight, I'd say save your pennies and look really hard at this one.

Nice demo LD3

i've used NVDs that cost significantly more money than a pvs-14 that did not perform any better.

i've also used a $100 night owl.....and its a joke compared to a pvs-14.

Some customer comments regarding our PVS14's

"Thank you for your prompt and professional service. I had a previous order for the same item through %@#$@#planet and it was back ordered twice. JRH has found a new customer. Thanks again."
    "Clearly" better (pun intended) than your competitors unit! I'm happy."

"Got the package. Thank-you. Looking forward to doing more business with you soon."
    "Prompt emails, all questions answered, PVS14 received and it's awesome!"
    "Still don't know how you sell them so cheap, but it's an awesome unit."

We appreciate everyone's business, thanks again!- Robert

One important thing to consider in a purchase of a PVS14 is long term parts availability.

There are a lot of PVS14 LIKE units out on the market. Often times they have names very similar sounding to a PVS14.

At close examination, you'll notice that these look alike units use a lot of proprietary parts. Some of these parts on the look alike 14's may be made in China, Russia, etc. One company out there with an American sounding name, puts together units like that.

What's the problem with a PVS14 look alike unit?

Maybe nothing at the onset of purchasing. However 5 or 10 years from now, finding PARTS for a look alike PVS14 may be a problem.

Whereas if you bought a mil spec PVS14, finding parts well into the future will be much easier. Why? Because the military uses these and they stock tens of thousands of spare parts.

A perfect analogy would be the guy that thinks a Winchester Lever action rifle would make a better choice for a SHTF weapon than an AR or an AK. You can walk into virtually any gunshow in the country and find parts for an AK or AR, the Winchester lever action rifle not so.

Logistics and future parts availability, these play a big of part in choosing a night vision device as they do in choosing a weapons platform.

Got this comment this morning -

"I bought a $3800. unit a few years ago, then I bought an Upgrade from you last month on sale. I should have bought two of the Upgrades from you and never paid $3800. for the other unit."
    I'm like the gal on the Progressive Insurance commercials, I love saving people money!