Israeli Gas Masks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

pistol for under $300

What is a good pistol for under three hunded dollars? why should i choose that one?
    I am my own audience

Hi Point pistols are good, in that they come with a lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty. There are two problems with them: 1) they are clunky. I have a .45, and although it shoots really well and NEVER jams, it's about the size of a brick. I owned a 9mm for a while, (got stolen) and it jammed constantly. I love the .45, and the shear knockdown power of it, but it's nothing you would consider concealing. The .45 goes for about $170.

I to have Hi Point .45 they are ugly and heavy boy they work good for what u pay.
    You can add rubber grips it helps the feel a bit .

Blog Entries
    what do you wish to do with the pistol? Home defense? personal carry, target practice,backpacking/outdoor use?

300$ is not a lot but,if one takes their time shopping a deal can be had i am sure.

at the 300$ mark your looking at some of the taurus low end semi autos and their snubby wheel guns.
    If it is for a carry peice these should work well. If i recal the sub compact semi's are at t hat 300-350$ mark. Think g26 size but in 9,45,40.
    Then you have the ruger's P series. next, then the SW sigmas etc.
    these are over the 300 mark but not by much.
    Then you have surplus stuff right at the 200$ mark. The cz82's,p63's, makrovs ,T33's,cz52's etc.The surplus sig 226 iirc was under 300$ but good luck finding a dealer that'll sell you a sig for that much ( ive seen the 226's run near 400$ just due to the name)
    used wheel guns canbe had all over the 200-300$ price range. SW mdl 60's,66's, ruger GP100's etc. The single action rugers can be found cheap as well in larger calibers like 357.44,44mag,45lc etc.
    i'd rather see someone save the extra 50$ and get something other than a high point. If its for HD use get a decent name brand 12g for the home, and save for a good carry piece. just my 2 cents.ymmv etc
    Hey Petunia...you dropped your man pad!

Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    For $300 (or less) you should be able to get a used S&W 38 Special revolver from a pawn shop. My Model 10 was $250, my Model 15 was $300.
    Put another $100 with your original 300 and you could get a brand spanking new Rock Island Arms 1911A1 in 45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by protus View Post
    what do you wish to do with the pistol? Home defense? personal carry, target practice,backpacking/outdoor use?

300$ is not a lot but,if one takes their time shopping a deal can be had i am sure.

at the 300$ mark your looking at some of the taurus low end semi autos and their snubby wheel guns.
    If it is for a carry peice these should work well. If i recal the sub compact semi's are at t hat 300-350$ mark. Think g26 size but in 9,45,40.
    Then you have the ruger's P series. next, then the SW sigmas etc.
    these are over the 300 mark but not by much.
    Then you have surplus stuff right at the 200$ mark. The cz82's,p63's, makrovs ,T33's,cz52's etc.The surplus sig 226 iirc was under 300$ but good luck finding a dealer that'll sell you a sig for that much ( ive seen the 226's run near 400$ just due to the name)
    used wheel guns canbe had all over the 200-300$ price range. SW mdl 60's,66's, ruger GP100's etc. The single action rugers can be found cheap as well in larger calibers like 357.44,44mag,45lc etc.
    i'd rather see someone save the extra 50$ and get something other than a high point. If its for HD use get a decent name brand 12g for the home, and save for a good carry piece. just my 2 cents.ymmv etc
    Protus is throwing out some good info for you here. I'll qoute my own sticky on pistols:

"Don't buy cheap crap. Your life isn't worth it. That doesn't mean you need to spend $1500 on a custom 1911. There are alot of good quality hand guns in the $400-800 range. Sig, Glock, HK Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, CZ are all very good brands."

while 300 dollars does limit your choices a bit it doesn't mean there isn't any good hand guns in that range.

at that price point I would be looking at getting something thats used. I've owned several used pistols and there is nothing wrong with them. if you find there is, the manufacturer will usually fix it at little to no charge.

I bought a smith 915 at a pawn shop for $210 one it was great had no problems with it. I bought a 686 2.5 inch for $350. makarov for $200.

shop around and stick to "decent" brands.

I'll probably take crap for this but it needs to be said: Avoid cheap quality handguns like Hi point. Yes they offer a lifetime warrenty. its easy when the gun retails for $189 costs $90 wholesale and costs about $30 to actually make. they are made of inferior materials and quality. There is a huge diffrence in durablity between a used $250 ruger p85/89/95dc and a new "life time" warrenty $189 hi point.

there is diffrence between "cheap" and "frugal". Frankly I'm poor these days. the economy has left me without the income I had enjoyed in the past. Being poor means I don't have the luxuray of buying cheap stuff that doesn't work out and then having to take a loss on it and buy new stuff. That means I have to be frugal and buy the best stuff I can afford to buy.

check out the used section of your local pawn shops ask around and find out which ones are good to deal with. Read my stickies I posted. They come from 18 years of gun buying experiance.

I concur with the above. Although I am frugal minded guy, I can not bring myself to even hold a hi point.

Do not discount a KelTec 9mm. I have owned many. They are small, concealable and accurate enough to defend yourself while retreaing toyour rifle. You can replace the trigger spring with an after market that reduces the pull from like 15 lbs to 9...still heay, but not unmanagable for a DAO pocket pistol.

I am also very fond of the CZ 52's. That 7.62X25 round is smoking hot at about 2900fps, IIRC. Penetrates most soft armor (if anything like that were ever necessary).

Also, troll local gun shows and prowl on the other buyers...usually you can get a better deal buying from another customer than you can from a vendor. In Alabama, Pawn shops charge 10% OVER retail for ratty uised guns. Caviat Emptor!

Spoon

If money was really tight, I'd consider a Tokarev (used to be around $100-150'ish), a Ruger P85 Ugly, bulky and kinda clumsy smurf looking but it works. If you searched around you could probably find a used Taurus PT99 or 92 for that much. I've paid $350. for NEW ones before.

Their is options out there. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

I am sure I will get a good load of junk for this, but I'm sick of the group of people who knocks Hi-Point and don't even own one or have never held one. I have the Hi-point C9 9mm and it's a fun little gun. I got it because of people talking so much junk about it. It's ugly and feels like a brick in your hand but in the three years I have had it I have never had any trouble with it. ANd it has never jamed once, plus I shoot the cheapest junk ammo I can find in it. I only clean it as best as I can without fully pulling it apart and it still shoots great. Now I shoot much better with my Glock 19 and it is a better gun by far. But to tell someone to not buy a gun because of price is silly. One of the best long guns for survival is an SKS and is low cost. So don't let price get you down. I don't think I would only want to own a Hi-Point but I would never get rid of the one I have I like shooting it. As I tell everyone about getting a new gun, a gun is an extention of you so you need to find the gun that goes with your hand and style of shooting. So go to a range and shoot a few different handguns. You can rent guns a some gun ranges and If you can't do that then try to shoot a few friends guns to find the one that you like.
    This whole thing is just like the AR vs. Mini-14, .45 vs. 9mm, .357, or .38 spl and just about any other gun vs. gun debate.

Never trust someone to tell you what gun you need, get out and try some out for yourself and find the gun that fits you and your style of shooting.

So far, everyone has just been making suggestions.

One of the best criteria to use in making firearms choices is availability of parts, spare magazines, etc.

FOR ME, I've always centered my choices on the 1911 .45, the Berreta or close clone Taurus and the Glock 9mm for this reason.

However few of these can be found in the under $300 category unless used. I have no problem with a used firearm if I know it enough to understand it and know what MIGHT have gone wrong with it from my own experiences. I'd have no problem buying an old school (pre light rail BS) Taurus PT92 or 99 because one of mine has close to 30,000 rounds through it. Ditto with 1911 style .45's.

The choice that is at first less expensive may not always be by the time you factor in the costs of spare parts, extra magazines, etc.

For example- factory mags for my Taurus 99 are a hair over $30. each. I've had rotten luck with any of the aftermarkets.

The factory mags for my Glock can be had for under $20. and I've had GREAT luck with the KCI aftermarket mags at as low as $6.00 each.

So the gun that was initially $100. less (Taurus 99) ends up really costing more long term because of the difference in the cost of the mags.

Also, I have a MUCH greater chance of finding spare parts and mags for the Glock post event because their was so many more of them on the market and seems like most every cop I see carries a Glock.

These are just a few of the things we need to consider in looking at our firearms choices.
    Last edited by Lowdown3; 07-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."