JRH Products
    Blog Entries

Lighting-How and what are you preparing?

I can't stand the smell of kerosene, so for simple light at night, I'll be using oil lamps. Question is- how do you store the oil? We've had a couple of plastic bottles disintegrate over time, so what can I use to store alot of oil-not glass for obvious reasons? Any ideas? I am interested in a small solar set up, but it will take awhile due to cost.

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    I store my lamp oil in yellow 7 gallon containers meant for Diesel storage. Mark them as Lamp oil on all sides. trim your wicks good and the smoke should be cut down some. We also store a lot of candles, spare wicks for lamps, Aladdin lamps are what I really love. they are great but expensive. As we build our new place we are working a lot with SOLAR TUBES to light rooms in daytime without the heat and cold of the traditional Sky Light. for Electric light backup we are going more with LED type lights. They use a lot less power and give off great light. With all our lamps and candles we have polished plates or mirror reflectors behind them to increase the light output.

If you do plan to do solar or wind generation remember it is more than putting up panels and a windmill. you have to have battery storage for one thing plus a myriad pieces of equipment to make the thing work. If you are not an electrician be sure the people putting in your solar or wind power equipment are bonded and certified by the manufacturer. I have a good friend that paid thousands of dollars and found out the guys were just a couple of yahoos that worked for a solar guy and stole some panels and put them on his roof with no equipment to make it work.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice GB. Very helpful. I'll pick up a diesel container tomorrow. There's so much to do, and so much to figure out- but one step at a time. Seems like a good motto for all my preps!

As an experiment i changed out all my incandescant bulbs in our travel trailer with LED. Went from 13 watts each of power draw to 1.6 watts each and very little heat also. Made a huge difference with the battery bank.

Here is a link from the Rv forum where we discuss LEDlighting with some pics too for those interested

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/6.cfm

Site supporter and beta tester
    LED lights on a 12v battery setup. The LED's draw very little power and provide a fairly bright, white light. It is easier to read by than the incandescent types like 1156 bulbs or that type. A small solar charger will keep the battery charged.
    Brokedownbiker

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Gov't, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin
    Sam Adams

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

We have used aviation fuel in kerosene lamps as sometimes you can get a good grade that doesn't smoke as much and is cheaper. We used to buy it by the 50 gallon drum! But I don't care so much for the cleanup of kerosene so we also have about half a dozen gas lanterns. They make a much brighter light and are easy to take care of once you understand them. ( I grew up with coleman lanterns and have been lighting them since I was ten) and although gas tends to evaporate a bit if you have a drum that's sealed, you can keep gas on hand for a long time. But that's what we have on hand.

I have oil lamps as well as led lighting. The less are 12 volt run from a deep cycle battery that is charged by solar. its an easy setup and the led lights don't use much electricity and can run for days without recharging the battery if need be.

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia View Post
    Thanks for the advice GB. Very helpful. I'll pick up a diesel container tomorrow. There's so much to do, and so much to figure out- but one step at a time. Seems like a good motto for all my preps!
    The only reason I used Diesel containers was they were yellow and easy to discern from Gasoline containers. The yellow also makes the lamp oil markings stand out from a distance. GB

2013 Silver Site supporter, thank you
    Good idea color codeing. That would keep me from mixing them up even though I write on the containers. Spills wipe out the marker.

Blog Entries
    Try using scotchtape over permanent marker writing, it keeps the words from smearing or wearing off with time.