FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies

Thermal imaging viewers

JRH is starting to carry some affordable thermal imaging units.

First off is the FLIR Scout

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...0&categoryId=3

This is the only real thermal imaging unit we have found that retails for under $2,000.

We carried the little "game finder" BS units for a very short time in the 90's, they were crap and luckily I figured that out before we sold any of them.

FLIR is one of the top names in thermal imaging. You can run, but you can't hide!

The only drawback to this unit (FLIR Scout) is that is has to be recharged via a USB port. For around the retreat type setup where AE is available this may not be a problem. But last I checked pine trees in the woods don't have USB ports.....

The other affordable option is the X50 Thermal Eye

This unit offers a good bit more for not that much more money IMO. It's submersible to 9 feet, a major plus for field use, and takes AA batteries.

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...9&categoryId=3

at just under $3,000. it's priced similar to a quality night vision set.

You can run, but you can't hide!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

Would you consider doing a "through the lens" video with the thermal viewers like you did the PVS-14? The PVS-14 video was fantasic, and really showed off the capabilities of the unit. I'd love to see what the thermal units can do.

Stay Safe,
    AGreyMan

Good idea, thanks. Will do at some point here in the future. Right now it's the too many irons too little fire deal
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

If you have seen those little wind up flashlight/cell phone crank chargers, they accept USB. That is how I charge my iPod on the trails and my phone. Could something like this charge one of these units? I cant afford one but just wanted to see if those would help would charging one of these in the field. I guess the only OPSEC issue would be that cranking noise.
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

Personally I'm concentrating on the Thermal Eye versus the FLIR scout because the thermal eye takes AA batteries.

i'm unsure which unit you had out this weekend, but what ever that was with the added on "extended view" was one of the coolest things i have ever seen. then to throw the IR strob into the mix. big thumbs up. wish i had one of these for kick the can when we were kids

If I am not mistaken, several of the solar panels that we used in Iraq to charge small items had a usb port on them to charge items just like this.

Also, the FLIR infrared viewer is the best thing going for seeing people and animals that do not want to be seen. Way better than even the best night vision.

45B- I'm not saying the USB port to recharge thing is a total deal breaker, but the AA batteries are just much more convenient IMO.

This technology is awesome. I shot a video around the holidays but I was having trouble mating up the camera lens with the viewer. I didn't buy the video cable cause I didn't see a lot of need for it. Hopefully I'll have some time in the next week or so to edit the video and post it. At close to 100 yards and through some brush, you can clearly see dogs, humans, etc.

I see it as a good compliment to my PVS14's, seismics etc. for retreat security.

Anyone have any thoughts about long term benefits from USB charging versus the batteries? My first thought, without doing any research admittedly, is that if you had had a quality charging devise like the hand crank mentioned, or the solar panel mentioned, you may actually be better off, than having to store batteries. Especially the hand crank. I would imagine that crank setup can't be too large, and would therefor be portable. A quality hand crank charger should last a while, and could serve to charge multiple devises, potentially, so that seems to be a big advantage to me. Please help me see what I might be missing in this line of thinking. Cost, dependability, size, or being too fragile? Thanks for the info Lowdown. We have a really nice FLIR devise on our boat, and that thing is amazing. I don't know how portable devises like this compare, but after looking through what we have, I have thought I should hold out for thermal imaging, rather than night vision, but haven't found anything nearly this affordable.