FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Seismic detectors informational thread TRC3A

A little informational thread about seismic sets in general and some specific info and pics of the TRC3A wireless sets.

Military seismic intrusion detectors of this sort work off of a geophone type system that detects minute changes in earth vibrations- someone walking, a car driving by or even low flying aircraft.

People back in the day would often ask could this technology be defeated by "walking slowly"- it can't be.

I use these systems as part of our early warning systems at our retreat. We've crawled, walked, even had some crazy nephews that tried jumping tree to tree to try to avoid detection- NOTHING WORKED.

The beauty of this sort of technology versus a "beer can with BB's in it on a string" or a trip flare or an audible alarm is that-

THE TRESPASSER HAS NO IDEA HE HAS BEEN "MADE" - I.E, DETECTED!

Whereas when a trip flare goes off, or someone sneaking in at night hearing BB's rattling around in a can, he KNOWS he's been made. With seismic detection, an intruder HAS NO IDEA they have been detected!!!

Each probe detects within a 30-50 yard circumference around itself. Now that's the "official" answer, the "in real world use" answer is that with the hardwired sets I've detected motion as far away as 80 yards before in a sand/clay soil mix.

The wireless sets- designated TRC3A are slightly more "convenient" in a number of ways-

*No running and burying of wires like with the hardwired sets
    *A receiver can be carried WITH YOU, not locking you down to one location- THINK- be able to flank the intruders!!!
    *Much more portable for camping, setting up sniper hides, etc.

The drawbacks of the TRC3A wireless sets compared to the hardwired sets-

*They are throwing out RF transmissions when they detect intrusion.
    *You have to go out to each probe to change the batteries. I've gotten more than a month out of batteries in a probe before, but the idea is still the same, you'll have to go to each probe to change batteries.

Those are the advantages and disadvantages of each type- wireless and hard wired.

NOW THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION- if it were the 1990's and both types were commonly available, all of that would matter. Unfortunately BOTH types of sets have NOT been commonly available since 2000 (hardwired) and 2002 (wireless).

So in essence you'll be doing good to find EITHER UNIT at this point in time.

The wireless sets operate via a seismic probe attached to a transmitter unit. The antenna is a military flexible metal tape type setup- similar to a tape measure. I've seen ONE of these break and honestly- I clipped it with a bushhog. Keep in mind these are military units, not any hokey jokey civilian or cobbled together whiz whiz wooo wooo "personal alarm" type BS. In other words, they are waterproof and designed to be left outside in ALL weather conditions for long periods of time.

The transmitter on the wireless probes has a selector that reads 1,2,3,4 and 5. Not sure what all can be seen in the pics. These settings of 1 through 5 denote the RANGE of detection. Setting "1" is essentially point detection. Say you wanted to detect intrusion JUST at your gate, this would be the setting to use. It goes up in range from 1 to where 5 is the most sensitive and that usually equates out to 30 yards or more from the probe/transmitter.

Receivers were issued with the original sets. In the literally thousands of sets we sold back in the day, I think we only came across a handful of sets that had the actual military receiver with them. 99% of the time they were sold with a commercial receiver that received the frequency the set used. Most of these frequencies are very near the 2 meter ham band which is nice because if you have a 2 meter HT your radio will likely receive these frequencies. If not, you'll have to find a commercial receiver. Back in the day Radio Slack made an inexpensive receiver that sold for less than $50. IIRC.

Some people really highly value the military receiver. To be blunt- THAT'S STUPID. Why? Cause the military receiver will do only ONE thing, hear the one frequency the probes are on. Also, it has the long "tape measure" type whip antenna. Hard convenient to carry in the field. More convenient and of DUAL USE would be to carry an HT talkie that receives this frequency but also transmits and receives on another close band- like the 2 meter HAM band. A $40. Baofeng radio is more useful than the military receiver IMO, because you can still transmit and receive on other frequencies as well.

The probes on the hardwired sets (PSR1A) can be run up to 1 MILE from the receiver.
    The probes on the wireless sets (TRC3A) can be set up to 1/2 mile from the receiver- VHF radio frequency. VHF is often called "line of sight"- in other words, if you put a wireless probe on one side of a mountain and the receiver on the other side, theirs a good chance you won't hear it because of the mountain blocking it.

Seismic sets of this type and the PSR1A hardwired type offer numerous advantages to the survivalist and retreat owner-

*They do the work of numerous guards that you do not have to FEED, HOUSE, etc.

*They offer a much better level of early warning than trip flares, personal alarms jury rigged as trip wires, blank shotgun shell contraptions, etc. Also, all of these methods let the intruder KNOW they are made, a significant disadvantage to the retreat defender. Also, their RANGE of detection and transmitting range is much higher than the improvised contraptions noted above.

*Unlike dogs, these are not dependent on sight or smell, cannot be "poisoned" or shot, cannot be led away on a false trail, etc. Also, they don't require you to store mounds of DOG FOOD, vet medicines, etc.

*Unlike "dakota alert" type systems, these do not require PIR to work, thereby avoiding a lot of false alarms as branches, leaves, etc. blow past your PIR alarm. Also since they use BATTERY POWER instead of 110AC, you will be able to keep them running long term in a SHTF situation.

Now the bad news- as I stated previously it's been about impossible to find these for the last DECADE. If you happen to find some crazy old man at a yard sale that has a set for sale cheap, that's awesome that's great, good for you. That isn't going to happen to most of us though.

WHY YOU DON'T WANT TO TRY TO BUY THESE ON EBAY-

Most ebay sellers have absolutely NO experience with these units. Want to buy spare parts? I got a bunch of "spare parts" i.e, BROKEN CRAP that I won't sell as good. WHERE DID I GET ALL OF THEM- EBAY.

Avoid Ebay at all costs on these!

I buy back both types of sets from old customers often paying considerably more than what I sold them for in the 90's. Sellers that bought 4 or 5 of these back in the 90's have traded some of them towards night vision, etc.

We see just a couple of units per year.
    Further compounding the problem is that often something that we are told is "brand new and functions great" doesn't TEST OUT well and so therefore we can't sell it as that. In other words, a small percentage of what I buy can't be re-sold. I.e, I have to "eat" a few here and there that don't TEST OUT WELL.

When we get a set in, they are tested for a couple days, then graded and sold here-

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...&categoryId=17

We test every set we get. Sometimes a "set" will contain 2 or 3 probes, sometimes all four will be present and working. Unfortunately it's about 12 years to late to be picky.....

Attached are a pic of the TRC3A set, this one has 3 probes. The R10 does not come with the set
    Attached Images Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

One of the questions I get the most about these-
    "Can I build these?"

Honestly, these are way beyond the range of most tinkerers and Ham's, sorry. I can't tell you how many people bought a set when they were drying up and were going to "reverse engineer this, make them and sell them to you". NOT A SINGLE ONE PANNED OUT. Even Dave at Martronics couldn't do it, someone I know has an awesome grasp of electronics. I GAVE Dave a set way back in the day cause I figured if anyone could do it it would be him. Nothing ever came of it.

Sorry to burst any bubbles or make you think I think "you" couldn't do it, but your welcome to build a duplicate set and prove me wrong.
    Build a dependable commercial version of this and I'll be glad to buy them by the hundred from you

Great Info,I found a set at the gun show that was complete but no manual.How do you test these?Is there a bench test I can run or do you put them in the field to test.
    God Bless
    OldFarmer2

Simplest test is just setting them up. Their is more advanced tests you can do also that will give you a handle on things better than that.

For the wireless that means putting 2 nine volt batteries in the transmitter, sticking the probe in the ground, setting the sensitivity level and listening tot he freq listed on the transmitter to hear the tone.

Their will be a different tone for each probe 1 through 4, denoted by a single beep, double beep, triple or four beeps. If you look close on the transmitter body (not the probe the transmitter), you'll notice either 1, 2, 3 or 4 small bumps molded into plastic on the top of the transmitter. This isn't brale (sp). This is for when you are setting them up at night. You can run your finger over each probe and know that probe 4 is being set in this spot, or probe 2, etc.

That's the other advantage of the wireless over the wired that I should have mentioned- you know immediately WHICH probe is detecting without having to play with the receiver to find out.

Now, great for full sets or sets that have different probe tones. In today's world where these are next to impossible to find, you might put together a set of probes all on the same frequency but with something like: two Probe 2 and two Probe 3's, etc.

NOT A PROBLEM- here's how you lay that out-

Set up your sets in "zones"- i.e, all of your probe 2's to the west, all of your probe 3's to the east, etc.

Obviously on a smaller scale i.e, less area to defend this would pose less of a problem, but for a larger perimeter setting up "zones" like that with multiples of the same toned probe wouldn't be a problem.

Silver Site Supporter 9/2011 Grinnan Barrett's Avatar
    Man that moved fast. Went to site and it was sold. About how much do I need to budget for this new toy? Will be sending in order this week for more surgical kits. GB

Testing a set of three TRC3A sensors now. If they all test out, the set will include 3 sensors and the carry bag. Will be available probably next week and will sell quick as they all have been selling quick..

One set of three probes available NOW! Had a time setback with all that we had going on.

these will sell quick

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...&categoryId=17

Sent out to the email list this morning-

HERE IT IS! WASTE NO TIME ON THIS!!!

PSR1A Seismic set

Literally HUNDREDS of people have emailed us over the last
    few years asking about SEISMIC INTRUSION DETECTOR sets.
    We sold thousands of these units for 10 years from when we started business in 1992 through when the supply of these devices ran out in 2002.

We buy all the units we find like this, check them out, test them out, grade them and offer them for sale.
    Unfortunately, we have been finding very few of these every year. For every six we find, TWO of them end up testing out well enough to re-sell.

This unit, which is available right now, is a nice PSR1A with original bag, 4 probes, ground rod, manual. Hardwired PSR1A Seismic intrusion detector detects earth vibrations- someone walking, car driving by, even LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT, within a 30-50 yard circumference of each probe. This is not your typical "noisemaker" type BS perimeter alarm, this is THE REAL DEAL BABY!! Runs off of six "D" size batteries. Probes can be run up to 1 mile from the receiver. Comes with the standard 4 probes but can run up to sixteen probes. This ONE UNIT we are listed in November of 2011 is in excellent condition, tested and runs fine. Probes look brand new and set comes with 4 probes, receiver and manual. Built in speaker alerts you to detection WITHOUT THE TRESPASSER BEING ALERTED TO THEIR OWN DETECTION! Actual Military unit. These are THE REAL DEAL

In times past, we have listed these on the website and they have sold sometimes in as little as 3 minutes, never more than an hour or so. We've received a lot of emails with people complaining that they missed the item, etc. etc. So to be fair to everyone, here's the deal on this one-

Long gone obviously

PLEASE NOTE- THIS IS NOT THE OLD STYLE PSR1 WITH THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT THAT RARELY FUNCTIONED CORRECTLY, THIS IS THE NEWER AND MORE RELIABLE VERSION, THE PSR1A
    Last edited by Lowdown3; 08-02-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: old email address

Blog Entries
    I so wish these were still made or I wish I could even afford one

I wonder if we could crowd fund making these?
    "It's a trap!!!!" -- Admiral Ackbar

Yes I wish someone was still making them also. What is "crowd fund?"