FLIR Thermosight Pro 536 Current Specials HALO Medical Supplies
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

10 per cent challenge for 2012

We all understand the concept of stocking lots of ammo. A gun without ammo is a club.

No great newsflash there.

Yet how many of us are really training enough every year to develop and maintain true skill with arms?

We all talk about "how much ammo?" And honestly, it can become a hoarding issue for some of us- myself included. The more important question should be "how much TRAINING AND PRACTICE?"

Are you shooting enough?

Will that 20,000 rounds of .223 or 7.62 do you much good in the PAW if you don't shoot but maybe 200 rounds a year of that caliber? Seriously, ponder that for a while.

Don't count on past achievements and live in the "Glory Days" (cue old Bruce Springstein or whoever the heck song) aka "I learned to shoot when I was 12 from my grandpappy" or "40 years ago in the Army I shot marksman."

Live in the NOW or DIE in the yesterday.

So, here's the "challenge" for 2012-

Use AT LEAST 10% of your ammo stocks this year in training. The amount is up to you and dictated by your stocks.

If you have 20,000 rounds of .223 stocked, shoot at least 2,000 rounds
    If you have 10,000 rounds stocked, shoot at least 1,000 rounds.
    If you want to shoot more, all the better.

You get the idea.

When you look at it under this light, it's not much ammo used in training.

The hardest ones to do this with will likely be shotgun. For most folks .22 will be easy to shoot but the amounts will likely be higher as most folks stock more .22 than anything else usually. Get the kids and grandkids to help with this one.

SKILL WITH ARMS
    should be the goal.

Everyone has an excuse why they can't, be one of the ones that CAN and DO.

Here's to more training in 2012 and better Skill at Arms!

Robert Henry
    1/4/2012
    Boris- "He's famous, has picture on three dollar bill!"

Rocky- "Wow! I've never even seen a three dollar bill!"

Boris- "Is it my fault your poor?"

You know I thought alot about this, busted out the caculator and now I'm counting hunting, plinking, training and competition and other stuff and I'm not sure if it's good or bad but:
    Pistol I'm at 100+%
    Shotgun I'm at 75% (I blame doves for this high number )
    Rifle I'm at 37%
    .22s I'm at 24%
    around a gazillion percent for archery cause I only blow up a few arrows a year because I can repair my own fletchings, tips etc.

If anything I should probably hoarde more but it's sooooo hard cause shooting is soooooo fun!
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

Amen brother!

You'd be surprised how many who have so much stocked in ammo are so cheap in using some for training.

The idea was to push folks out of their comfort zones a little bit. I've heard many an online poster say they only shoot 100-400 rounds per year total. Many think dry fire takes care of everything- it doesn't. Many think shooting a .22 is the same as shooting their main rifle- it isn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."

This Tula .40 is saving the day for me!
    Now all of my good stuff can marinate on the shelf for a rainy end of the worldish type of day!

Good points LD3, I have now dedicated my monthly commission checks to just ammo. Its small and may only be able to buy a box or two but as my project grows the pot grows...........still cant wait on Uncle Sam to say hello to my mailbox.
    You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?

While I'm definately with you on the challenge, there just ain't no way that I am up to shooting that much ammo this year!!!!

boltgun308
    I used to shoot thousands of rounds a year in rifle and pistol for close 20 years. A gun to me now is the same as toting a hammer, just another tool and I don't practice driving nails. Gun skills may get a tad bit rusty but when you shoot so much, truthfully, I believe that I can out shoot over 99% of the people out there, and I'm ok with that 1% that is left. The 1% didn't get that good being a gang banger, cop, or regular infantry soldier. That 1% will most likely be the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by boltgun308 View Post
    The 1% didn't get that good being a gang banger, cop, or regular infantry soldier.
    Really and what do you base that off of? A Regular Soldier hmm isnt that where the Snipers come from? A Cop isnt that where the SWAT comes from?
    Skills are perishable, even hammering nails
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

boltgun308
    Matt,
    You know that SWAT and military snipers are special operations personnel. Both go through a lot more training than just pulling the trigger. Those guys are the 1%. Most cops are not that good behind a gun, and I've seen hundreds going through qualifications. The same goes for most soldiers. We used to run a pro class at Ft. Benning where you had to use factory box ammo, 308 only. It was open to civilian law enforcement and military only at first and then was changed to anyone that wanted to shoot as long as 308 and factory ammo and a sniper like weapon, bipod or ruck only for support. It was not uncommon for the civilian shooters to win or a least place in the top 3 somewhere. I think it opened a lot of eyes to what was happening on the "outside". The same goes for pistol shooting. SOCOM contracts with a lot of civilians for the upper echelon training to include CAG and DEV Group. Todd Hodnett comes to mind. Never has been in the military but trains SF soldiers on how to shoot.

Skills do not go away, they just get less refined. Think riding a bike.

Once you know how to shoot, you never lose that skill. You may not be quite as fast or quite as accurate, but you will get it back with very little practice.
    Last edited by boltgun308; 01-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.

boltgun308
    How you train is more important than how much you train. Most would do well to take a one day class from an instructor using 200 rds than sit around at a range firing 1000's of rds off the 25 yard line at a paper target. It kills me how many "marksman" you see at 100 yards complimenting themselves on their shooting skills while shootging a $3000 rifle sitting on top of a concrete bench.

You pistol shooters, how many have fired past 50 yards? Can you hit an E-type silhouette at 100 yds with your 9mm, 40, or 45? The point is, have a goal to learn or try something new every time you go to the range. Transition drills from carbine to pistol, loading an empty somewhere in the mag to practice speed clearing drills, try reloading and racking your weapon using only one hand, etc., etc.

Boltgun- and that's great for people that have already "arrived"- but the majority of us have not.

Quite the contrary- most shooters have an entirely TOO high of opinion of their own skills.

Go train with Sonny P a little bit and you'll see what I mean. Seen a lot of prideful shooters humbled that way, myself most definitely included. Was getting next to nothing out of 10-17 shooting classes a year, then I went and trained with Sonny and my eyes were opened.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."