JRH Products
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Kennedy View Post
    Some people, like myself have easy access to horses, and horse equipment, such as carts, which is basically a small 1 person version of a chariot which is very useful if you modify it a bit to have a larger surface area. also if you have a local barn in your area it might be a good idea to " borrow " a few horses if you know how to prepare, saddle, and ride one.
    Lots of places still hang horse thieves...or just shoot 'em. Might want to reconsider "borrowing" property that isn't yours.
    This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

That is an interesting concept worth looking into.

I pulled out my non motorized vehicle the other day and rode a bit , After lunch Im thinking about seeing if they finished the off road trail to the next town yet on the old rail 14 miles away .I doubt I can make the 28 mile round trip if they have completed it but at lest Ill go to the river and back . Access to the river by bike will give me a water route back to the farm if need be over 40 miles away by passing all but one town .
    Last edited by Hawk_308; 11-27-2011 at 12:06 PM.

I went on an 11mile bicycle ride this evening. I havent rode in a long long time and I gave this thread some thought as we rode. I would hate to try and defend myself off of one of these and it really seemed prone to attacks from the rear. Thats where mt lions always hit bikers and i can see why. Several times I was suprised from behind by real bicyclist (we were renting bikes), as my hearing has declined, and once towards the end of the trail by a one legged kid pulling a wagon with his sister in it, hey i was tired LOL no, just kiddin
    I'd rather be afoot i think with my deercart with someone on overwatch if not on horseback. The horse thing always bothered though me when i rode because i skylined so easy.
    I guess things would have to be stable in order for me to be comfortable i guess especially pulling a cart and I would want mirrors on the bike but think i'd prefer a horse if it was quiet. Noisy horses that whineyed alot were the downfall of many a cowboy.

0817121833a.jpg
    Knowledge is Power, Practiced Knowledge is Strength, Tested Knowledge is Confidence

"Prone to attack"... I would agree with that. Riding 1 handed on anything other than smooth flat pavement can prove dangerous and of you were trying to defend yourself while riding 1 handed even harder.

Another thing about bikes that I forgot to mention... If you want to make long rides the bike really needs to be of great quality and you need it to "fit" you properly. But once you have a bike that is "efficient" and fits you properly, with just a little training you can ride great distances and at pretty quick pace.

Now that I have used them for "P.T." I will never be without a quality bike (god willing). Not only can they be great fun for P.T., I am now having to use them for "rehab" on my ankle. And when school is not "in season" I often ride to work and back to save on gas and get more P.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foster View Post
    I like the cart. A bicycle with cart would be my choice. I'm not a horse person; I understand that they are lots of work. I have a road bike and an off-road bike with spare tires and inner tubes as my g.o.o.d alternate transportation. The cart would be a good addition.
    If you've got a barn and a few acres a horse is not that much trouble. If the shtf and you, you're horse and whatever he's pulling have to hit the country the horse can live on grass and water. Just need a saddle, blanket and reins.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt In Oklahoma View Post
    I went on an 11mile bicycle ride this evening. I havent rode in a long long time and I gave this thread some thought as we rode. I would hate to try and defend myself off of one of these and it really seemed prone to attacks from the rear. Thats where mt lions always hit bikers and i can see why. Several times I was suprised from behind by real bicyclist (we were renting bikes), as my hearing has declined, and once towards the end of the trail by a one legged kid pulling a wagon with his sister in it, hey i was tired LOL no, just kiddin
    I'd rather be afoot i think with my deercart with someone on overwatch if not on horseback. The horse thing always bothered though me when i rode because i skylined so easy.
    I guess things would have to be stable in order for me to be comfortable i guess especially pulling a cart and I would want mirrors on the bike but think i'd prefer a horse if it was quiet. Noisy horses that whineyed alot were the downfall of many a cowboy.

0817121833a.jpg
    I'd take the horse and make sure you're riding below the horizon and in or beside a treeline....and if a one legged kid pulling his sister in a wagon passes your horse?....I'd shoot the horse, cook and jerk as much meat as you can and walk! LOL
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)

JOSEPH WAS A PREPPER!
    NOAH WAS A PREPPER!
    I'M A PREPPER TOO!

The simpler the bike is, the longer it will last. Suspension forks range anywhere from ok to great performance wise when functioning correctly. It really doesn't take much to get them to fail. A rigid fork, while not as ideal for trail riding, will last longer with less maintenance than a suspension fork. Also, the more gears, the more maintenance required. Singlespeeds will work you more, but require alot less to keep them going and the initial cost can be lower.

Regarding situational awareness while riding, a rear view mirror does wonders. You can go bar mount, helmet mount or eyewear temple mount. I prefer helmet or eyewear mount as my body controls where the mirror points as opposed to what direction the handlebars are pointing.

Veteran of Valor and all around awesome guy!
    We have horses, also. Need to get some kind of small wagon just in case gas gets to $10 a gallon like our Dear Leader (Barack HUSSIEN Obama) wants.
    Of course, a trip into town would take all day - 6 miles there and 6 miles back.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    We have horses, also. Need to get some kind of small wagon just in case gas gets to $10 a gallon like our Dear Leader (Barack HUSSIEN Obama) wants.
    Of course, a trip into town would take all day - 6 miles there and 6 miles back.
    We bought 2 wagons at Tractor Supply Company, one has max cargo weight of 800 pounds and the other 1000 pounds, not sure but I think we got them both for under $100 each. Since the kid will be in them, we placed thin plywood in the bottom as these wagons are a mesh metal bottom.

Hope this helps rice...