Wood burning stove

Finally got the fan on my woodburning stove working. What a difference! Thermostat not working, so fan is on high all the time for now. Kind of loud but I can deal with it until I get a new thermostat.

Ridiculous heat output compared to a regular fireplace with less than half the wood.

We have a forced air wood stove that will make you open the windows in Jan. I also have a pellet stove that will be getting replaced this summer for a old time wood stove. My reason for that is if we loose power we have no heat because both heating sources use power.

Site Supporter and beta tester
    You folks might want to check out the Eco Fans. They are heat activated, sit right on the top of a woodburning stove and nice circulate the air without electricity. KInd of spend initially but I have been using the 2-blade style for 20 years and am extremely please with the results. You will NEVER feel any air blowing, but within an hour of mine starting up the bedrooms 60 feet away, down the hall are a nice 70 degrees while the livingroom is maybe 75 all of which is a nice comfortable temp when it's below freezing outside. I have burned out the heat sensing strip once on the bottom of a fan, contacted the company in Canada and they made arrangements to send me a new fan for 1/2 the price of one in the store! Been using that replacement one for 12 years now with no problems.

Thanks for posting that Goatlady. I've been waiting to see someone that I knew was "living it" offer a review of these! Thank you.

This is the same "Eco Fan" that is offered by Northern Tool correct?
    "What the heck happened to you man? You went soft. Your like a cute little puppy, holding a kitten."

Site Supporter and Beta Tester
    Rather than go the Ecofan route, I hooked up the ceiling fans (in each room) to the solar power...not only disperses heat from the wood stove in winter, but helps cool throughout the rest of the year. Also leaves the stovetop open for heating coffee & cooking.
    This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

Site Supporter and beta tester
    1A, don't know about Northern Tool, I do know Menard's carries them, but I bought mine online as it was the best pricing I could find. I only have the small, 2-blade one and it does a good job in my 2000 sq. ft. home. Tech, excellent idea if one has solar power! Not a viable option for my situation though.

Just did a quick google, yeppers, that's the fancy 3-blade model, same manufacturer though.
    Last edited by goatlady; 02-26-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Gold Site Supporter 2014 thank you! 610Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is great that your stove is putting out that much heat!! Care to do a review on the make/model you got? Is it a catalytic or non-catalytic? What wood are you burning? How long is the burn time when the firebox is full?
    "If you will live like no one else, later on you can live like no one else." -- Dave Ramsey