DBAL-I2 IR Laser with IR Illuminator

Trijicon Miniature Rifle Optic (MRO
FLIR Scout TK
Mt. House Freeze Dried 1-Month Starter Unit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famine Chow

Cool Famine Chow

Here's an Idea:
    I got the opportunity to ride along with a relief convoy in Somalia a few years ago. They were engaged in a feeding program and the convoy carried tons of CSB (Corn Soy Blend). For those of you not familiar with feeding programs, the NGOs try to feed people from locally purchased foods (a custom "food basket" that the people of the region are familiar with and will find acceptable.) When this is not possible, they carry their own food, often in the form of CSB or WSB.

CSB and WSB (Corn Soy Blend and Wheat Soy Blend) are pre-packaged foods that come in large paper sacks. They are pre-cooked and all you have to do is mix them with clean water to make a meal. This is the porriage you see on fund raising programs about hunger and I admit it looks terrible. But I tried it in Somalia and found it quite good. The only way to describe the flavor is "foody". It's a very wholesome, filling and nutritious way to use storage foods.

This mixture is great for you. It has lots of complete protein and enough fats and sugar to keep children from losing weight (which is a problem on whole grain diets). Besides, it's easy to make from storage foods you probably already have and were wondering how to prepare. While the pre-cooked famine-chow is not very shelf stable, the ingredients are all things we store already. If you add a multivitamin, you can live on "famine chow" indefinitely.

To make your own:
    50% by volume ground wheat, corn, barley or any other grain.
    30% by volume ground beans, peas, soybeans, lentils or other legumes
    10% by volume vegetable oil of any kind
    10% by volume sugar, honey, molasses or other sweetener
    Salt to taste.

To prepare it as a porridge (which tastes great as a breakfast cereal), Simply stir this mixture into twice as much (by volume) boiling water and cover it for 15 minutes or so to let it finish cooking (it will stick to the pot, unless you remove it from the fire, but try to keep it hot enough to finish cooking).

You can prepare it as a bread just as easily by using less water and adding a little powdered milk and maybe some powdered eggs. I make lots of quick breads, like raisin bread or zucchini bread with WSB and they are simply wonderful. It also makes a unique and great tasting yeast bread. CSB makes the best cornbread you have ever tried. Just use your normal recipe and substitute CSB for the corn meal.

I used to carry about 10 pounds of this mix and some baking powder, milk powder and sugar on camping trips. It cut down on my food bill tremendously. It makes great breading for fried fish. I used to make up a dutch oven load of biscuits in the morning and carry them with me as a quick, easy lunch and then in the evening, I made muffins with raisins and cinnamon for an evening snack. As long as you have a sack full of famine chow, you won't ever go hungry.

Once (as a joke) I made up a big bowl of it out of dried peas and cornmeal to bring to a party. The resulting slop looked very much like guacamole. The hostess put my bowl (unsuspecting) on the "chips and dips" table. I watched closely to see everyone's reaction. As the guests tasted it, you could see the shock on their face (it didn't taste anything like they expected). Every single one of them tried a second and third bite and several of them asked for the recipe. The hostess ended the evening sitting with the bowl in her lap eating it with a spoon.

Check it out. You might like it.

BigJohn

How do you incorporate the oil? Do you mix it in with everything ahead of time? Great thread, thanks!

Do you have a stateside source? I found none with a quick search
    Salutations,
    Templar

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

There are very good reasons why we all are gathered here...

it cooks very easy in an eletric rice cooker. it does stick to the pot a little if it's left to set in the cooker. if you grind your own for a cereal or porridge,I find that loosening the grinding stones so the grains aren't ground fine like flour is best, about like steel cut oat groats.we put a handful of craisons or raisons in the pot on the last few minutes and eat it with honey,cinnamon and a shot of milk on it.
    Last edited by crossbow; 08-16-2010 at 05:26 AM.

Great info! Thanks for sharing something so simple! It has been placed in my recipe book for future use!

Awesome info !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    How do you incorporate the oil? Do you mix it in with everything ahead of time? Great thread, thanks!

The commercial product is pre-mixed and pre-cooked and has a very short shelf life. I have never seen it for sale to civilians.

For storage purposes, I mix as needed. All of the ingredients store better separately. The oil tends to go rancid very fast once you remove it from it's container.

If I am going to use it in a week or two, I mix it all up together, oil included, and stir it well. The oil soaks into the powder and the result is a slightly grainy, oily powder, ready to add water and cook.

famine chow recipes

I like your name better - "famine chow" kind of does it for me.
    I ran across mention of corn-soy blend while researching recipes and uses for soy beans; then I found some more recipes tooling around the web. The corn-soy blend was made according to the famine chow recipe. I reprint them here for those who might want to try them - I did, and they were tasty, as is your famine chow recipe!

CORN-SOY BLEND RECIPES

Porridge: stir mixture into twice as much boiling water by volume and cover 15 min to cook through. Remove from fire so it does not stick while heating through. 1/4 c makes 1 c porridge for 28 cents.

Fritters:
    5 c corn-soy blend
    5 c TVP
    1 1/2 chopped onion
    2 chili peppers
    3 cloves garlic
    3 3/4 c water
    219 grams oil for frying
    Mix blend and tvp. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped onion and chile. Stir until it makes a dough. Shape into cakes with wet hands, fry in very hot oil. Flip when golden, drain on paper towel. Good with tomato sauce, and rice on the side.

Tortillas:
    2/3 c + 1 TB corn-soy blend
    1 tsp chili pwd
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 c lukewarm water
    2 TB oil for frying
    Mix corn=soy, chili powder, and salt in med bowl. Gradually add water to make soft pliable dough. Shape with hands or in tortilla press, and fry gently 30 sec to 1 min per side.

CORN SOY BLEND BREAD
    1 cup corn soy blend
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 to 4 Tbsp. sugar
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 cup soymilk (or dairy milk)
    1/4 cup melted fat or oil
    1. Preheat oven to 425

Site Supporter and beta tester
    Do keep in mind that today all soy is GM (genetically modified). I know, in a famine situation food is food, but when you DO have a choice, choose wisely. Also Many, many people, especially women and children, should NOT ingest a lot of soy as it contains a pre-curser enzyme that changes to estrogen in the body and can mess up the hormone system badly. Just a few crevats so folks will do a bit of research on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Do keep in mind that today all soy is GM (genetically modified). I know, in a famine situation food is food, but when you DO have a choice, choose wisely. Also Many, many people, especially women and children, should NOT ingest a lot of soy as it contains a pre-curser enzyme that changes to estrogen in the body and can mess up the hormone system badly. Just a few crevats so folks will do a bit of research on their own.
    Hold the PRESS!!! Is this pre-curser also found in Soy Milk? Because there are A LOT of people in San Anton on this new "healthy soy milk" kick going on now...